I think Opiate is somewhat underappreciated.

• I think Opiate is somewhat underappreciated.

6 tracks full of sheer kick ass awesomeness with an intensity thats hard to match. It doesn't dabble in melody as much as their later, but it doesn't completely stray from it either (Opiate). It doesn't all sound the same either. These are 6 more than noteworthy tracks that are easily comparable to Tool's other material. It's often overlooked by their other more legnthy and song filled albums. It doesn't get discussed as much and I'm not sure why. I even prefer it to Undertow.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that. Feel free to discuss the idea of it being underrated (or not) or just your feelings toward Opiate in general.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Dec 2007, 00:53
    I agree that it is a somewhat underrated album, but on the other hand, it isn't what I think of when I think of Tool...Yes, it is some fantastic music, but it seems to lack some of the depth that Ænima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days has.

• Saiyu_Ikara said:
    I agree that it is a somewhat underrated album, but on the other hand, it isn't what I think of when I think of Tool...Yes, it is some fantastic music, but it seems to lack some of the depth that Ænima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days has.

i totally agree with you man.

• i love that album more than 10 000days

if you are saying opiate is underated im saying 10 000days is overrated

I just want to hear something I haven't heard before.
    • Bongair said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2008, 03:48
    I think it's 'rated' about right.

It is only an EP after all.

• But a wicked one.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Sep 2008, 07:05
    "get that Bob Marley wanna be motherfukka out of here"

true, it may

only be an EP

but I've spent more money on this EP than any LP, since mid 90's I've owned 5 copies of Opiate and paid between AU$5 to AU$20 each time(thats right - 20 bucks for an EP!!! thanx to Sony of course, the rude fuckers.). Its been stolen twice, permanently borrowed once, scratched to buggery once, but the fifth copy remains on high rotation. I reckon i know lyrics pretty well by heart, clearly not to be considered Tool's crowing achievement, I don't think anyone here would claim that, Aenema surely marked their coming of age... but none the less, Opiate is a very fucking fine piece of work that shows they got their shit together from day 1.

and yeah, it absolutely excretes green septic waste all over the nonsense that was 10,000 days. Lovezelda, I hear ya bra.

• The thing is Opiate and Undertow are incredibly different to Aenema, Lateralus and 10 000 Days and thus shouldn't be compared. That also explains why they are so underrated, many who like the latest three albums dislike the first two and vice versa.
    Personally I think "Tool" as a concept, an idea, incorporates all five plus every bootleg, live show, outtake and demotape. Imo, every single second is a stroke of genius and pretty much every other band pales in comparison.

• i hear ya i agree every second of tool is amazing.

but not 10 000 days

I just want to hear something I haven't heard before.
  • IloveZelda said:
    but not 10 000 days

Now this is where I have to respectfully disagree. 10 000 Days may not be as good as Aenema or Lateralus, but by god, what is ? Those two albums, especially Lateralus, are two of the most amazingly evocative and powerful albums I've ever heard.
    10 000 Days may not be as good as them, it lacks a bit of coherence, but it is still an awesome album when compared to what else is out there.
    But this is off topic.

I think we all agree that Opiate is underrated and under appreciated, especially by those who only started with Tool after 10 000 Days came out.

• I really don't get the 10,000 Days hate either.

• vasiab said...
    • User
    • 20 Oct 2008, 00:08
    Opiate is a great album. Deserves respect!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Jul 2012, 20:46
    opiate, undertow and all of tools early stuff is underrated because it's more alternative metal then it is progressive metal

• The most recent works are more complex and progressive, while the early ones are more heavy oriented, and therefore, basic. All the albuns are powerful, but you can't fell the energy of the early records (Opiate/Undertow, for ex) in the two last ones. But those show the evolution of the band's sound, reaching new fields in music, respecting no boundaries on it. I've tried to be impartial, but I think that all Tool albuns are incredible.

Move by will alone.
  • I do love every album of Tool, each one for what it does. Opiate, to me, is still amazing. I do think it is underrated, but certainly not by me.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions.
  • I personally like Tool's work with producer David Bottrill the best. He gave them Ænima, Salival, and Lateralus; all three masterpieces in their own right. Before Bottrill we had Opiate and Undertow, which are a great deal heavier than their later work, and after Bottrill we have 10,000 Days, which is produced well and is very clean, but lacks that certain something. I love all their work, don't get me wrong, but Bottrill seems a lot like a long lost member of the band. While this might just be my opinion, it seems peoples' sentiment towards Tool's work also reflects this idea.

• I like Opiate, but clearly prefer lateralus! I think it's the best, so present in my life...

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.