Where to start with Leonard Cohen?

• WerBack said...
    • User
    • 14 May 2010, 12:48

Where to start with Leonard Cohen?

Title says it all.

With which album to start? I'm quite sure that if I don't get any recommendations it would be Songs of Love and Hate, but still, I prefer a helping note.

• I'd say: start with first :)

• Start with "Songs of Leonard Cohen" - it is his first album and arguably his best.

"Now I'm struggling, I black out so I can't dream but I still see you sneaking through my weary head, I suffer from a drought of medicine to dull self-doubt, I just want to drown you out with southern poison. If I had a drink for every God damn time I think about your pale skin dressed in pink then at least I could sleep. If I had a shot for every God damn time I thought about your face and what I lost at least I'd get some sleep"
    • WerBack said...
    • User
    • 25 May 2010, 09:27
    Thank you, guys!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Oct 2010, 18:39
    songs of love and hate is godly.

• Songs of Love and Hate, definitely.

• The best thing to do with Leonard Cohen is to download "Songs of Leonard Cohen", and the album which I think is his best, "New Skin For The Old Ceremony".

Then you can compare minimalist Cohen with a more ambitious Cohen.

• smee85 said...
    • User
    • 25 Jan 2011, 16:49

(comes with a DVD)

• Leonard Cohen and where to start

Seriously...I have every album and there isn't a bad one. For the price, your best bet is: The Complete Studio Albums Box Set. It will give you YEARS of all the brillant depressing classics with the best sound quality and bonus tracks.

• Songs of Love and Hate - My favourite!
    But yeah, his first is incredible too.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jun 2012, 08:43
    The Complete Studio Albums Box Set doesn't contain bonus tracks (5 tracks released when first three albums were re-issued in 2007).
    But you are definitely right, Addman27, it's the best variant - both best quality and price.

• I started with Songs of Love and Hate, and I still love that one the most...
    Still get shivers when Avalanche is starting and at the end of Diamonds in the mine.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.