Toby Driver Appreciation!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Oct 2007, 06:34

Toby Driver Appreciation!

I hope more people join this group :)

Also, I'm curious what everyone likes the most out of Tobys different bands/projects.

Share!

• Philiam said...
    • User
    • 1 Oct 2007, 20:57
    tie between maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot. I've listened to more of Kayo Dot than I have maudlin, but there are some maudlin songs that completely blow me away. @_@

• Dowsing Anemone and his solo album are my favorites thus far. His musical aesthetic is strikingly similar to my own, so I guess his rawer and more personal stuff affects me more profoundly.

That said, I'd rate everything he's done thus far, with the exception of the first motW album, to be 4 stars and above. Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue has been my favorite album for about six months now, and I don't see this changing in the near future.

• I can't comprehend what makes his music so good. Perhaps he has his own touch to music that we can recognise, though I've honestly no idea. What I do know though is that a huge amount of culture suddenly seems very lacklustre in the shadow of his musique.

• Maudlin of the Well and his solo album are my favourite projects. Kayo Dot is a bit difficult to get into. It's great music, but I need to be in a Kayo Dot-ish mood to fully appreciate it. I haven't heard any of his other projects yet, but I might do so.

== I'm going to drink heavily and shout at you! ==

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Nov 2007, 22:09
    Spoonion!

No no.

Kayo Dot.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2008, 01:16
    Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
    Greatest CD of all time, no question. Until Blue Lambency Downward comes out, that is. *at mention of BLD, praisingfolly takes on a vacant look and starts drooling. The last words he utters ("comes out, that is") are very slurred.*

Kayo Dot - Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue
    A brilliant follow up to the greatest CD of all time. The first three tracks are pure perfection, and the last two are amazing as well.

Maudlin of the Well - Bath
    Most beautiful metal CD of all time (if Kayo Dot isn't metal). Really hypnotic and fantastic. I prefer Kayo Dot, but this one's still a masterpiece.

Maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map
    This one doesn't work quite as well as Bath, though it's still great. And, to LYBM's credit, Bath doesn't have "Riseth He, The Numberless Part 1". Oh, that trumpet.

Tartar Lamb - Sixty Metonymies
    I could accurately call this one of Toby Driver's lesser efforts, but it's still absolutely incredible. Beautiful and tense, it puts the "classic" in classical.

Toby Driver - In the L... L... Library Loft
    It starts with one of the most intense, scariest songs I know, then proceeds to touch on ambient and classical and drone and sounds great doing it all. Another masterpiece.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 May 2008, 01:44
    I respectfully disagree about LYBM, it is as awesome as Bath.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 May 2008, 02:27
    Choirs of The Eye is the greatest album of all time! I think Leaving Your Body Map is superior to Bath, but of course both of them are superior to everything else.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2008, 02:23
    ^ you stole the words from me :P

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Jun 2008, 09:06
    sssymptoms said:
    Choirs of The Eye is the greatest album of all time!

This

• Bath- 6/5 Greatest album of all time
    Choirs- 5/5 Top five greatest
    LYBM 4.5 Too excellent for humans
    Dowsing 4.0AWESOME
    L...L.. Library loft-3.5 Weird goodness
    BLD 3.5- Good, even great, but one of the biggest musical disapointments of my life
    Sixty metonomies-3 Weid, but pretty good

• praisingfolly said:
    sssymptoms said:

This

pretty much

witty phrase.
  • KeiserWillhelm sagte:
    praisingfolly said:
    sssymptoms said:

This

pretty much

Yes! And it came out on my birthday :D

EqualizerAPO -> foobar2000 -toslink> Meier Audio Corda Daccord -> LakePeople G109
    => AKG K 701 //OR// => Westone UM3x
  • 1. Maudlin of the Well - Part The Second
    2. Tartar Lamb II - Polyimage of Known Exits
    3. Maudlin of the Well - Bath/Leaving You Body Map

I'm still trying to get a good feel for Kayo Dot, Tartar Lamb and his solo album, but I really like everything I've heard so far.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.