First Listen

• Eric5 said...
    • User
    • 24 Feb 2008, 22:47

First Listen

As it appears to be create-new-topic night, I'll contribute :)

Where did you first hear Thrice, about when it was and what song?

For me it was somewhere late in 2005, I heard See You in the Shallows on some World of Warcraft PvP video, about the only good that game did me ;)

Edited by Eric5 on 27 Feb 2008, 09:54
    • taja84 said...
    • User
    • 24 Feb 2008, 23:24
    On a sampler of the spanish Rock Sound magazine. My first song was also See you in the shallows.

• Ey3con said...
    • User
    • 24 Feb 2008, 23:39
    Hmm, this is tough.

I would say it was back in high school (2002, which was my Sophomore year). I was given a mix cd by a friend of mine. The first song I heard was Identity Crisis. I also vividly remember listening to Ultra Blue.

A few days after that my buddy Jeremy and I bought The Illusion of Safety and from there it just took off.

We played IoS before school everyday from that point forward that year. It was a good time.

I also remember talking about Thrice before I really listened to them with a few guys on my high school soccer team. At the time I was really into The Used self-titled (music wasn't really a staple in my life before that) so I was just looking for new things to listen to. Thrice was one of their contemporaries at the time so it was a good fit.

Twitter | Recordnerd | Instagram
    Xbox Live GT: iEy3con
    AIM: iEy3con
    • beto-8 said...
    • User
    • 28 Feb 2008, 20:26
    The first time I listened to a Thrice song was late on 2003, A friend of mine left an mp3 cd at home, and one day I was in a hurry and I picked up that cd....inside the cd had some Dogwood tracks, some albums of Slick Shoes and finally the Identity Crisis....and that was the first song of thrice I ever heard...and I was astonished because of it's catchy rhytm ....(at that time...I listened to power metal and prog metal and stuff ...so imagine the difference that thrice made in me) and here I am...five years later with my whole music like transformed thanks to Thrice's music....

and that's all....greetins from Chile pals.....Blessings

• LyuS said...
    • User
    • 28 Feb 2008, 20:48
    i heard them last year on last.fm, i think it was "all that's left"... so i got "the artist in the ambulance"..and from that it just took me off :D. i dig their old stuff and really like their latest developments

temperature controlled radio station
    • Ey3con said...
    • User
    • 28 Feb 2008, 21:09
    That's funny you mention the difference Thrice had on what you listen to beto-8; I can totally relate. Like I said before, prior to listening to Thrice I really didn't have much of a diverse taste. After listening to them though I really started to dive into other realms that I either didn't have interest in before or wasn't exposed to.

• The first time I listened to Thrice was back in 2004. For a reason I don't remember anymore I downloaded Fearless Record's Punk Goes series with the "thrust" acoustic version and the "send me an angel"-Cover. I liked especially thrust and (without knowing that there was an non-acoustic version!) so I looked for more songs. Then I forgot the Band for nearly 4 Years! But a few weeks ago I rearranged my music database and stumbled upon Thrice again, realizing how amazing they are and how awesome their new stuff is.

greetings from Germany,
    Tobi

• Slnsk said...
    • User
    • 1 Mar 2008, 13:34
    I actually don't remember, but I guess it was here on last.fm a year or so ago and I think Of Dust And Nations must have been the first song, because it was my first fave by Thrice (still one of them). Too bad I didn't discover them earlier!

• The first I remember hearing was Image of the Invisible in '05 or '06, back when I didn't really know about Thrice. My sister played them a lot, but I never paid much attention to the group until about a year ago.

Edit: Also, I started actually liking them when I heard "Lullaby" while playing Burnout: Revenge.

Edited by slowdecay- on 15 Mar 2008, 19:49
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Mar 2008, 00:17
    The first time I actually heard them was on the Madden 94' soundtrack I do believe. Got me interested, and asked a few of my friends about them and they really liked them, so thats basically how I got into Thrice. Just went out and bought "Artist" and "Illusion".

• Ey3con said...
    • User
    • 5 Mar 2008, 04:40
    ThaGodfather said:
    The first time I actually heard them was on the Madden 94' soundtrack I do believe. Got me interested, and asked a few of my friends about them and they really liked them, so thats basically how I got into Thrice. Just went out and bought "Artist" and "Illusion".

I always wondered how effective of a marketing strategy this was. That's interesting you came across them that way. Everytime I heard a song of theirs in a game I always wondered if anyone would go out and check out the rest of their stuff.

• I only heard about them late last year, I was talking to a friend on msn and I mentioned last.fm and stuff and it came up that Thrice was like their favourite band and mentioned a few of their songs so I looked them up and thought they were sweet as!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Mar 2008, 16:52
    Ey3con said:
    ThaGodfather said:

I always wondered how effective of a marketing strategy this was. That's interesting you came across them that way. Everytime I heard a song of theirs in a game I always wondered if anyone would go out and check out the rest of their stuff.

Yeah, it worked actually. I really liked All Thats Left, enough to check out more.

• Aaero said...
    • User
    • 16 Mar 2008, 06:39
    The person who first introduced me to Thrice was Robert (Ey3con)! He told me to check them out so I went to Best Buy and bought the first CD I saw, Illusion of Safety. I listened to the first track, Kill Me Quickly, and absolutely hated it. I had never really listened to 'hard' music before, and I was pretty young. I gave it to someone (I forget who) and didn't listen to them again until I heard Image of the Invisible, and thought I'd give Thrice a chance again. Picked up the CD, and fell in love with it.

Thanks Robert! Haha.

• It was in 2002, my junior year of high school. One day at school, one of my friends was going on and on about this new record that came out called The Illusion of Safety by a band called Thrice. From what he was saying, I figured I better check these guys out. So I did, and I've been a fan ever since.

• Around the middle of last year, I was watching World of Warcraft pvp vids & one had 'Image of The Invisible' as the opening track. I liked it alot, & when I realized that I was watching that vid just to hear the song again, I downloaded a bunch more from Vheissu, & it took off from there. They've been one of my favorite bands ever since.

Are you a Thrice fan? Visit Thricescene.com & join the community :D
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Apr 2008, 04:32
    Ey3con said:
    Hmm, this is tough.

I would say it was back in high school (2002, which was my Sophomore year). I was given a mix cd by a friend of mine.

Same for me, back in 2002 when i was sophomore in high school after given a mix tape. the one song on there was ULTRA BLUE... i kinda forgot about them for awhile after that and didn't realize who they really were until summer of 2004 before I went off to college.

• such an interesting topic..

I was a junior in highschool and getting into all sorts of music.
    I heard Kill Me Quickly in 2003 and thought it was the greatest song.
    After listening to that album I fell in love with Thrice.
    Then AITA came out and I enjoyed it since I was still just getting into thrice.
    However, after that I got into hardcore and became super close minded about what I listened to so I stopped with Thrice until The Alchemy Index came out. I feel bad for missing out on the release of Vheissu
    However, now I'm loving it all... thank goodness :)

• I heard about Thrice on a message board for the band Blindside. Someone mentioned that Thrice was a great band, so I bought Artist in the Ambulance in around late 2003. I believe the first song that I heard was Stare at the Sun, which I heard on SSX 3. After that, I proceeded to buy IoS and IC about 2 months later, late 2003. I really didn't care for IoS and IC at first, though I actually like them a lot more now. IoS and Vheissu are probably my favorite Thrice releases and I am currently loving the Alchemy Index. TAITA is actually my least favorite Thrice record.

• You'd be surprised what a video game could do to your music listening habits...

I got Madden NFL 2004 at the end of October 2003. As far as I knew in music back then, Thrice didn't exist. Many now known songs were in the game, naming only a few, "Chapter Four" by Avenged Sevenfold, "Pride" by SOiL, "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" by Jet, and, of course, "All That's Left" by Thrice.

A few weeks later, I tune in to "MusiquePlus", Quebec's "MuchMusic", and see "Stare at the Sun"'s video. Since I like both of the songs, I get "The Artist in the Ambulance" at my local music store. Instant love towards the CD, this and "Master of Puppets" (I had only discovered Metallica, such a shame!) become my most used CDs in a flash... But then again, I kinda only listen to this one and never look to the past and check for older stuff (Never listened to Identity Crisis nor Illusion of Safety. Ever. Please no rocks :P)

Heard of Vheissu middle of 2006, grabbed both Alchemy Indexes on release date. Can tell you that Thrice is one of the artists I listen the most to.

I have a feeling that I just wasted 25 seconds of my life.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Apr 2008, 07:25
    "To Awake and Avenge the Dead" was the first song I ever heard by them. I instantly fell in love. Around this time, "All That's Left" began heavy rotation on MTV2, and I pre-ordered "The Artist and the Ambulance."

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 May 2008, 20:55
    I saw the video for "Stare at the Sun" on MTV2, thought it was brilliant and went out an got Artist In The Ambulance which to begin with I thought was great, but it soon wore thin and I didn't really listen to them for a long time.

I then heard they made Vheissu, but I was already disillusioned with them so I didn't buy it.
    Then I went to Give It A Name in London in 2006, mainly for other bands, but when Thrice came on and started playing songs from it (Vheissu) I was blown away. Easily the best band of the weekend for me. Red Sky live is still haunting.
    Went out and bought Vheissu as soon as I could and listened to it faaar to many times.

Thrice are one of my favorite bands, and I'm ecstatic that their at Reading this year.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 May 2008, 01:28
    I was in high school and played this online mmorpg dark age of camelot 24/7. I always asked one of my buddies Max for songs to download online. He told me to get "Thrice - As The Ruin Falls." I didn't know what I was listening to. I deleted and redownloaded it on Kazaa several times, never paying much attention to it. A few days later he told me to get "Phoenix Ignition" and "To What End." My life took a 180 degree turn at that point. Dustin's angsty lyrics hit me unlike anything I had ever heard up to that point. I had to listen to those songs on repeat for days, along with My Chem "Vampires Will Never Hurt You / Lady Of Sorrows" haha. There is no real way to put into words what Thrice has meant to me. From then on, I've been a Thrice devotee.

• AMAAS said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2008, 18:25
    in 8th grade (early 2002) I heard "See You In The Shallows" on a Take Action compilation on a MTV Road Rules compilation

• AMAAS said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2008, 18:26
    MTV Road Rules compilation, NOT Take Action Compilation (I thought it was a TA comp but then went to amazon and remembered that it was the other comp)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.