Video Game Thread

• Video Game Thread

Post about your favorite video games, or anticipated upcoming ones. Could be from any platform. From arcade, to PC, to console. Atari to present.

Favorite console game: Xbox's Halo

Favorite PC game: either Age of Empires (Rise of Rome) or Civilization II

Someday the dream will end
  • I suspect I'm on my own but the only computer game I ever play is..

I'm usually a couple of years behind the most recent.

• Tilaton said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2010, 15:44
    Favourite games? Well... Civilization series, Baldur's Gate II, Europa Universalis series, Mass Effect series, Fallout series come to mind.

I play only on PC although I started doing this with Commodore 64 and Amiga in the pre-historic era.

Yeah, I'm a hardcore Civ fanatic and the the fifth coming is only a week away. Civilizations have been the only games I've been seriously excited about and the new one is always a very emotional experience for me.

It is a heavy drug that combines telling a story with facts about history and strategy. It is all about what I am as a gamer.

I just watched a little under of 2 hours of gameplay stream form Civ V and at the moment it seems just perfect. And if someone wants to take a peek:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9553042
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9553920

• Footie Manager games are excellent.

NP: Final Fantasy VI, Modern Warfare 2 and the Monkey Island 2 remake.

Some favourites: NHL '97 (mega drive version), Goldeneye, Duke Nukem 3D (+ mid 90s FPS games in general), Earthbound, FFVII, Day of the Tentacle (+ LucasArts adventure games in general), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Pokémon Red, Metal Gear Solid 2 (maybe the greatest video game plot ever), Okami, Phoenix Wright 3, Streets of Rage 2, Fallout 3 (have not played 1 or 2 though)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2010, 16:15
    My favorite game ever:

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2010, 16:27
    My favourite series ever is Monkey Island, combining pirates with point-and-click fun - what else could you possibly ask for, especially when you're 8. I was playing computer games when most of you were at your mother's teat, fyi. Text-based games on an Apple IIe, like Pieces of Eight (more pirates!) and Zork. 3D graphics RUINED Zork I tells you.

I'm also a Civilization man, as well as its decendants (Caesar, and recently The Settlers), but watching two bearded men actually play it hasn't been the most enthralling experience of my life. So far. Do they do anything interesting? Something with their faces? Do they get up to get a beer? It's like watching a zoo exhibit.

• Tilaton said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2010, 16:31
    rm508 said:

I'm also a Civilization man, as well as its decendants (Caesar, and recently The Settlers), but watching two bearded men actually play it hasn't been the most enthralling experience of my life. So far. Do they do anything interesting? Something with their faces? Do they get up to get a beer? It's like watching a zoo exhibit.

Jump ahead, the vid is from live stream and there is quite a while they are setting things up. :O)

And the second vid is from an advanced game. They go through a lot of stuff there that is new to the Civ series.

Here is another: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/civilizationv/video/6275453/sid-meiers-civilization-v--video-walk-through#toggle_video

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2010, 16:39
    O I thought it was live. My apologies.

• Zork was bloody vicious, I don't think I ever completed it. That fucking garlic. I just tend to avoid text adventures and 80's graphical adventures, because they're just almost always just plain sadistic and almost unwinnable.

• Tilaton said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2010, 16:55
    rm508 said:
    O I thought it was live. My apologies.

No, my apologies. I wasn't very clear about it. I had the same thought as you when I started to watch it. ;O)

• [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 16 Jul 2011, 12:03
    • Tilaton said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2010, 18:01
    What, EA owns the rights to Alpha Centauri? That is bad news indeed. AC is a great game that really must have a sequel made by Firaxis.

I haven't touched Vic 2 yet and am waiting it to be patched properly. What I've heard is that it is not as broken as it could've been knowing in what shape Paradox has released couple of the last titles.

Crusader Kings 2 is totally something to wait for too, but with Paradox it is better to be extremely patient.

• [spam]

[spam]

• I made a conscious decision to give up video games after Final Fantasy VII. I would play until my eyes were red raw. You'd forget to take a piss you were so immersed in it. Games look incredible these days, but who needs to be that distracted? I guess my problem was I could never play them in moderation. From the looks of it, GTA 4 would have been the death of me.

• Fallout 2 and Warcraft 3 were the last PC games I really got into if IIRC.

• knkwzrd said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2010, 19:20

its fantastic

• knkwzrd said:

its fantastic

Yes. Yes it is.

• Ok. I admit I would really like to play this, and that I have salivated over screenshots.

• Oh god, I just said 'screenshots.'

• [spam]

[spam]

• I've been gaming for a while. My main game has always been Halo PC. I have also played other multiplayer games ranging from Call of Duty 1 and 2 to most recently Bad Company 2.

I also played Guild Wars for a while on and off. Plenty of other stuff in between all of that.

• Anyone else waiting on FFXIV...?

Yeah I didn't think so

Been messing around on Sengoku Rance a lot lately, going through different story line routes

Private Property is an idea, Vocaloid is a reality.
  • Favorite game is probably Super Smash Bros for N64, but my first system was a SNES and I played a lot of Yoshi's Island, F-Zero, Kirby's Dreamland 3, and this beauty:

• Einhänder, Deception 3, Silent Bomber, Street Fighter 2, DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou, Ikaruga, R-Type, Persona 2, Armored Core, Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero, Gran Turismo 3, Final Fantasy VII, Ōkami, Odin Sphere, Rez, Burnout Paradise...

I haven't played much this generation, maybe i'm finally done? I never understood the appeal of most no skill required, point-and -click computer games. First Person Shooters (especially console) are shit as well, yet people can't get enough of them.

Front Mission Online comes out at the end of the month, maybe that will spark something.

• I like Counterstrike and The Metal Gear series. I've realized I don't play console games very much anymore.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.