Things that bother us.

• Na, I use it quite often. Usually the 'Neighbourhood' coughs up some interesting, new-to-me stuff. I can't bring myself to listen to particulars yet (again), but I've been thinkin bout it.

"Reciprocity, Mr. Hudgens, is the key to every relationship."
  • andgoodbye said:
    PEOPLE WHO PUT THEIR HOLD MUSIC ON SPEAKERPHONE

tbh anybody that doesnt do this is an idiot

I forgot my physics book.
    • rm508 said...
    • User
    • 8 Aug 2012, 13:22
    Can anyone help me with Chinese slang?

I'm wondering if "cock silk" (meaning "loser") is a reference to semen, or merely to soft roosters.

• My teacher from elementary school (62) was bludgeoned to death by her son (36). I know this charmer pretty well. We all lived on the same street and he kick the shit out of me when I was 13 and he just started his junkie career.

The most fucked up part of this story is that she - the victim - had had a brain tumor and after few operations she was finally cured.

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 8 Aug 2012, 17:19
    Eep. Horrible.

• ZiggyFromMars said:
    andgoodbye said:
    PEOPLE WHO PUT THEIR HOLD MUSIC ON SPEAKERPHONE

tbh anybody that doesnt do this is an idiot

No it's awful to subject everyone to that. You can put the receiver down and turn the volume up a bit or you can put it on speakerphone and turn the volume way down but there's no reason to make everyone suffer through hold music bullshit.

That was then, this is dumb.
  • rm508 said:
    Can anyone help me with Chinese slang?

I'm wondering if "cock silk" (meaning "loser") is a reference to semen, or merely to soft roosters.

What are the kanji? I can take a look at it but I can't promise anything

Private Property is an idea, Vocaloid is a reality.
    • rm508 said...
    • User
    • 8 Aug 2012, 21:26
    That's the thing, I don't know. It's been translated from Chinese into Korean and then into English. Meaning recedes like water through the fingers.

And also: googling "cock silk" is not at all helpful.

Thanks though.

• Oh god, are you doing press kits again? Cock silk sounds pretty typical of the kind of dead end you'll run into. When in doubt: delete.

• yeah that sounds impossible

• rm508 said:
    And also: googling "cock silk" is not at all helpful.

Yeah, I had to re-read this line to make sure...

Er, I'll just stop.

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 9 Aug 2012, 09:50
    generalmalaise said:
    Oh god, are you doing press kits again? Cock silk sounds pretty typical of the kind of dead end you'll run into.
    Yes. Cock silk is the worst of it so far. It's an odd thing, TME, that one of my main sources of employment at the moment comes via Will's old employer. And I've never even met Will.

When in doubt: delete. This is very useful advice, thanks.

• everybody I'm trying to jam with can't seem to get their shit together enough to actually fucking come and jam
    other people around me are in successful bands and are happy
    I didn't go into a music program in school because even though I love music, I also hate it and it would've driven me insane but now I'm stuck for ideas and I'm not good at teaching myself things

• It definitely would help if those people got their shit together, it's good to have others' input when trying to churn out ideas.

Or perhaps since they (and you) think having one's "shit together" is an integral piece of the process it ends up becoming more stifling, since it's just another ideal that one can never truly achieve. It's a slippery slope.

Really, when does one ever have their shit together? Fuck it.

I think some of the best bands/acts come together out of desperation, out of a need to get the fuck away from everything else and just DO SOMETHING.

I wouldn't get caught up in comparing yourself to others and their experiences.

I'm in a similar situation, I've been dying to get some shit going and I constantly see other people just going for it and do it and I think to myself "I'm putting way too much thought into this, and not enough straight-ahead action".

And I'm betting that most of them aren't "happy" (I'm beginning to resent that word more and more, so I'm biased) per se but are probably pretty glad/relieved to be getting the ball rolling, as both you and I should do.

Hell, if you're happy why the fuck would you bother wasting your time jamming?

• This fucking AT&T DSL, keeps timing out and pissing me off.

• It's sad when people only want to play or make music if there is money to be made in it somehow. That can be a really frustrating issue, especially if those people aren't willing to work some day job to earn cash by day and make music by night.

The most enjoyable band I play in, the group that provides me with the most musically, has never had a paying gig. Would it be great if I could make money with that group? Yes, definitely, and we've had great musicians distance themselves from the group because they "don't have time" to fit in a non-for-profit group, but I personally won't ever do that.

I think the key thing to do is to find other musicians who enjoy playing the same kind of music as you, people with the same musical goals. In order to find this out, though, you have to play every opportunity that presents itself. Rock, classical, jazz, noise, anything that presents itself. Don't pigeon hole yourself, and don't let friends or other musicians do that to themselves either.

And play any show offered. Being the opening act at Monday night bar gigs sucks, but I know that because I've played them. And I'll hopefully get a chance to play them again.

• trombipulation said:
    It's sad when people only want to play or make music if there is money to be made in it somehow. That can be a really frustrating issue, especially if those people aren't willing to work some day job to earn cash by day and make music by night.

The most enjoyable band I play in, the group that provides me with the most musically, has never had a paying gig. Would it be great if I could make money with that group? Yes, definitely, and we've had great musicians distance themselves from the group because they "don't have time" to fit in a non-for-profit group, but I personally won't ever do that.

I think the key thing to do is to find other musicians who enjoy playing the same kind of music as you, people with the same musical goals. In order to find this out, though, you have to play every opportunity that presents itself. Rock, classical, jazz, noise, anything that presents itself. Don't pigeon hole yourself, and don't let friends or other musicians do that to themselves either.

And play any show offered. Being the opening act at Monday night bar gigs sucks, but I know that because I've played them. And I'll hopefully get a chance to play them again.

wisdom

• I was thinking I'd just get around my troubles with other people by writing everything at home and recording it at my ex guitar teacher's studio. I'll start with my novelty acts first

• For so long I've had musical ideas floating in my head that I've never put enough effort into truly manifesting. Music comes to me like a special daydream and then I normally forget what I was even thinking about later. It's like my musical thoughts only exist to temporarily satisfy me, and they're destined for nothing more than to sink back into my subconscious to be regurgitated at a later date just slightly but annoyingly different; enough for me to be bothered that I can't remember what I was thinking up before and feeling like I fucked up my perfect musical recipe.

Sometimes I try recording some riff or two on my acoustic guitar onto my iPhone, but that sounds like absolute shit and the context is completely divorced from it which makes it hard to remember what I was even thinking. I need to put a better effort into recording this stuff sometime, even if nobody else ever plays it. Just to be satisfied with the thought that I tried to follow through on it, but having the distant hope that somebody else will bother entertaining my weird shit one day.

Hell, if I knew how to drum I'd be able to record most of the stuff I wanted to myself on my computer or something. I'm a horrid singer though.

Wait, there's a forum? Holy shit!
  • "Reciprocity, Mr. Hudgens, is the key to every relationship."
  • why does that bother you?

• It doesn't, I just thought it appropriate.

Perhaps the seekers of the flame will find inspiration in their music, their story.

• oh werd i was just wondering why it was in "things that bother us"

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 14 Aug 2012, 18:20
  • I just wiped and re-installed my display drivers for like the 3rd time in a month. This better fix that display driver time-out BSoD I've been getting. Fucking shitty ATI drivers, pretty sure I'm done with them for my next card

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.