• The talk of The Trial reminded me that I should really read it since I borrowed a copy a while ago.

And then while wasting time in Barnes and Noble I came across a copy of a graphic novel version of it for 75% off, which I then bought.

That was then, this is dumb.
  • Is that illustrated by R. Crumb? I know the graphic novel version of The Metamorphosis is.

• I'm reading lots of short stories by Anton Chekhov.

• Chekov is funny.

• StDionysus said:
    Is that illustrated by R. Crumb? I know the graphic novel version of The Metamorphosis is.

Nope, illustrated by Montellier.

That was then, this is dumb.
  • [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 16 Jul 2011, 12:04
  • Just finished up David Hume: Selected Essays and Hamilton, Adams, Jefferson: The Politics of Enlightenment and the American Founding. I think I'll read something fun/easy next. Probably Holidays in Hell by P.J. O'Rourke.

• The 120 Days of Sodom is a fun and light read.

• [spam]

[spam]

• ACoolAssTurtle said:
    I have a ton of books on my shelf begging to be read but I'm studying for the GRE instead.

Pretty cool that I ain't taken a math class since HS since I tested out.

¡Practice! Practice! Practice. You can always ask an elitist for help.

• nkh said...
    • User
    • 12 Aug 2009, 21:20
    I'm re-reading 1984 at the moment, purely because I came across it amongst a box of my old things. It has given me the urge to get back into reading, once I finish reading it I plan to track down a copy of The Vandal by Ann Schlee.

I read that years and years ago at school and can't remember anything about it.

Also, I'm strangely attracted to the idea of buying a Sony Reader... the problem being that the PRS-700 is not being sold outside of the US. The PRS-505 seems ok... at the end of the day, I think I like the idea of it more than I'd actually use it... We'll see.

• [spam]

[spam]

• reading in defense of food by pollan

finally.

love, music, wine and revolution
  • Finishing an entire Pynchon book is up there, with finishing Ulysses and In Search of Lost Time, on my things I must accomplish before I die list.

• [spam]

[spam]

• knkwzrd said...
    • User
    • 12 Aug 2009, 23:08
    StDionysus said:
    Finishing an entire Pynchon book is up there, with finishing Ulysses and In Search of Lost Time, on my things I must accomplish before I die list.

You can't make it through The Crying Of Lot 49? That's an afternoon read, practically.

• yeah, I guess that one's doable. I was thinking more of Against the Day and Gravity's Rainbow.

• [spam]

[spam]

• That's what I hear from the one other person who's finished it.

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 13 Aug 2009, 06:49
    Gravity's Rainbow does rule, and the new one sounds better than Against the Day. Not that I've read either of them.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Aug 2009, 08:09
    Thomas Pynchon ftw

• I LOVED Gravity's Rainbow! It took me four months to read it but I was blown away by every page. To me it felt like Catch-22, Apocalypse Now, and Naked Lunch mixed in a blender... It was hilarious!

I read Crying of Lot 49 years ago but don't remember much about it.

I haven't read Against the Day.

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2009, 11:38
    Thinking about my favourite books. Depressed me because I realised I hadn't read many. A rough top five:

1. Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
    2. Joseph Conrad, Nostromo
    3. Andrei Bely, Petersburg
    4. Thomas Pynchon, The Crying of Lot 49
    5. Theodore Dreiser, Sister Carrie

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2009, 12:58
    wow, you can actually limit your favorite books to 5?
    it would be hard for me to come up with top 20 list

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2009, 15:53
    That sounds like a self-imposed challenge, sir. [grabs funio's wrist and makes him slap himself with a glove]

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.