• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Nov 2007, 02:01
    people in this group can be assholes to each other about absolutely anything

• it's a talent

That was then, this is dumb.
    • Haarry said...
    • User
    • 3 Nov 2007, 04:14
    I'm under 18 for 16 years now and when I read Catcher in the Rye I thought Holden Caulfield was a self-righteous illogical dipstick who expected too much.. then rather have everyone else who had to read it say that they identified with it.. they said that Holden Caulfield reminded them of me.. Kind of funny that you should say that everyone who is under 18 thinks they can relate to Holden given that situation.

Fuck..

Still trying to get through that Crime novel.. ugh. Apologies for verbose, incoherant, grumpy and insomnia-stricken posts.

Catch her in the eye

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Dec 2008, 16:34
    I hope this thread is not dead at all.

Right now, I'm reading Daniel Kehlmann "Measuring the World".
    It's funny, smart and a bit nerdy, but def. worth checking out.
    Few reviews can be found here: http://www.reviewsofbooks.com/measuring_the_world/

• I have to do so much reading for my major that I've more or less stopped free reading, and I hate myself and my professors for it. In high school I used to read like a mother fucker, always winning awards for most pages read and such garbage, but now I'm still reading a lot, but it doesn't feel like it because none of it is free reading. Sucks.

• I went months without reading for fun, then suddenly decided to read an entire book one night the week before finals.

That was then, this is dumb.
  • trombipulation said:
    I have to do so much reading for my major that I've more or less stopped free reading, and I hate myself and my professors for it. In high school I used to read like a mother fucker.

Same. I remember in elementary school when I would win those personal pan pizzas from Pizza Hut for being such a bookworm. Good times.
    The leisure reading section at the college library is one bookshelf full of presidential biographies, so I re-read a lot of books I brought from home or buy used copies on Amazon.
    Oh, my favorite books are Catch-22 and The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor, I hated Heart of Darkness, and House of Leaves is a terrifying book that I can't resist re-reading.

• tmills said...
    • User
    • 19 Dec 2008, 00:35
    Flannery O'Connor is the best, but I think that I just love American South literature in general.

• Damn, I guess it would be cliche if I said Catch 22 is my favorite book. Fuck it, I hate it!

I just finished Portnoy's Complaint, the most hilarious piece of literature I've read since... I reread Catch 22.

• [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 16 Jul 2011, 12:03
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Dec 2008, 10:25
    Is Against The Day any good? Is it first Pynchon for you?

• [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 16 Jul 2011, 12:04
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Dec 2008, 22:53
    Damn, looks like I have to read it in English.
    I can't wait forever for some dork to translate it to Polish.

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 20 Dec 2008, 05:19
    ACoolAssTurtle said:
    I'm reading Against the Day and rereading Anti-Oedipus yall.

Damn ... You, sir, are hardcore.

• [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 16 Jul 2011, 12:04
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Dec 2008, 15:41
    ACoolAssTurtle said:
    I'd probably stop reading forever if I could find a job.

I got a job which is based on reading. No fun, believe me no fun at all.

• I got the book Angle Of Repose at the local used book store (It was a penguin classic for 3 bucks, I can't pass that up). Anyone ever read it? It looks fairly intresting.

Private Property is an idea, Vocaloid is a reality.
    • rm508 said...
    • User
    • 7 Apr 2009, 10:10
  • Just finished Beetle Leg by John Hawkes. The dude who's reading Against the Day and rereading Anti-Oedipus is insane. Christ.

TMills, word up to Flannery O'Connor. That gorilla suit scene at the end of Wise Blood is amazing. I'd really like to see the movie version.

• knkwzrd said...
    • User
    • 7 Apr 2009, 17:20
    I think Criterion has it slated as an upcoming release.

• Right on!

• I revisited Sir Thomas Moore's Utopia recently. It is as good as I remember it being...although the translation was better from the edition I read prior to this.

In other literature news, I signed up for a Horror and Supernatural Literature course to fill an elective slot on my schedule. From the course description:

In this course we will examine such novels as Dracula, Frankenstein, The Turn of the Screw, and The Exorcist, as well as stories and poems by Lovecraft, Poe, Browning, Jacobs, etc. These readings will be supplemented by horror films. In addition we will write a horror story and have a “Ghost Hunting” project in which we explore the legends of local ghosts. I hope to see you in the fall!

I guess I better catch up on episodes of Ghost Hunters, although I can say "What the hell was that" and "Is there anyone here who would like to speak with us," with the best of 'em.

• Ghost Hunting TV shows are the scum of the earth

• hyperbole alert!

• uh oh, this might clash with the recent Babe Alert! though

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.