The Chopping Block

 
    • Mod6 said...
    • User
    • 5 Apr 2007, 02:37
    TheGambler said:
    Mod6 said:


    P.S. New Order kick the flying shit out of Joy Division!!! Bizarre Love Triangle is on DDR!


    you should be booted just for that comment
    new order was good...especially commercially
    however without ian curtis they were missing something
    i would take any joy division song over new order any day
    but to say they kick the flying shit out of joy division is just silly (unless you mean commercially, which i doubt)
    FAC 10 and FAC 13!!!!


    New Order was never commercially successful? Strange, as Haarry points out, they definitely sound pop-ish to me. Synthpop at its very greatest, IMO. Obviously, Joy Division is much more out there and forward looking (goth/post-punk blends and stuff), but if anything New Order at least makes just as great and excellent quality music as Joy Division did (this I'm saying kinda to an idea that New Order was a sell out band? No, no one thinks that? Idk, but I do know that I heard Bizarre Love Triangle on some cheesey 80s or 90s looking flick playing on E!, it caused me to actually keep watching the movie to the end).

  • Mod6 said:
    TheGambler said:
    Mod6 said:


    P.S. New Order kick the flying shit out of Joy Division!!! Bizarre Love Triangle is on DDR!


    you should be booted just for that comment
    new order was good...especially commercially
    however without ian curtis they were missing something
    i would take any joy division song over new order any day
    but to say they kick the flying shit out of joy division is just silly (unless you mean commercially, which i doubt)
    FAC 10 and FAC 13!!!!


    New Order was never commercially successful? Strange, as Haarry points out, they definitely sound pop-ish to me. Synthpop at its very greatest, IMO. Obviously, Joy Division is much more out there and forward looking (goth/post-punk blends and stuff), but if anything New Order at least makes just as great and excellent quality music as Joy Division did (this I'm saying kinda to an idea that New Order was a sell out band? No, no one thinks that? Idk, but I do know that I heard Bizarre Love Triangle on some cheesey 80s or 90s looking flick playing on E!, it caused me to actually keep watching the movie to the end).


    im sorry but where in my comment does it say new order was never commercially successfull????
    i said "new order was good...especially commercially" and i alluded to the fact that new order only kicked joy divisions ass in the commercial sense.
    Maybe actually read what someone writes before responding instead of just skimming over.
    my point was the joy division was a better band. next time I will write my posts in simpler terms. sorry.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Apr 2007, 04:45
    My favorite member of both Joy Division and New Order is Peter Hook. His bass playing is so amazing.... I personally think he's the backbone of both bands.

  • i think Martin Hannett had a lot to do with both bands sound as well but Hook is amazing.

    • MNez said...
    • User
    • 5 Apr 2007, 06:22
    "This member of the Who died after overdosing on medication to help him recover from alcoholism." Almost every other trivia team put Pete Townsend. I put Keith Moon. This is why i'm a trivia winner. Damn right bitches. (I don't even like the Who, yet I know this. That's how you become elitist)

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Apr 2007, 15:03
    That's an easy question... what kind of idiots were on the other trivia teams?

  • The following people are up for inactive kick out

    mymindsplitopen



    If they don't post in the next two weeks they shall be expelled into the wasteland.

    Edited by frequency71988 on 8 Apr 2007, 06:55
    • Mod6 said...
    • User
    • 5 Apr 2007, 22:20
    TheGambler said:

    im sorry but where in my comment does it say new order was never commercially successfull????
    i said "new order was good...especially commercially" and i alluded to the fact that new order only kicked joy divisions ass in the commercial sense.
    Maybe actually read what someone writes before responding instead of just skimming over.
    my point was the joy division was a better band. next time I will write my posts in simpler terms. sorry.



    but to say they kick the flying shit out of joy division is just silly (unless you mean commercially, which i doubt)

    I thought that when you said "which i doubt" you meant that you were doubting the fact that New Order was more commercially successful than Joy Division was, NOT that you doubted what I was meaning. And because you said that last I took that to override the first thing you said about it.
    So please, calm the fuck down.

    • knkwzrd said...
    • User
    • 6 Apr 2007, 00:33
    MNez said:
    "This member of the Who died after overdosing on medication to help him recover from alcoholism." Almost every other trivia team put Pete Townsend. I put Keith Moon. This is why i'm a trivia winner. Damn right bitches. (I don't even like the Who, yet I know this. That's how you become elitist)


    Today I was the only person in my class able to name a song in 5/4 time. :(

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Apr 2007, 01:18
    i'm here, i was on vacation the past 10 days

  • Mod6 said:
    TheGambler said:
    Mod6 said:


    P.S. New Order kick the flying shit out of Joy Division!!! Bizarre Love Triangle is on DDR!


    you should be booted just for that comment
    new order was good...especially commercially
    however without ian curtis they were missing something
    i would take any joy division song over new order any day
    but to say they kick the flying shit out of joy division is just silly (unless you mean commercially, which i doubt)
    FAC 10 and FAC 13!!!!


    New Order was never commercially successful? Strange, as Haarry points out, they definitely sound pop-ish to me. Synthpop at its very greatest, IMO. Obviously, Joy Division is much more out there and forward looking (goth/post-punk blends and stuff), but if anything New Order at least makes just as great and excellent quality music as Joy Division did (this I'm saying kinda to an idea that New Order was a sell out band? No, no one thinks that? Idk, but I do know that I heard Bizarre Love Triangle on some cheesey 80s or 90s looking flick playing on E!, it caused me to actually keep watching the movie to the end).


    That cheesy movie is a great one (and yes, it is cheesy). Something Wild was directed by Jonathan Demme (who shot the Talking Heads doc Stop Making Sense).

    The movie stars Jeff Daniels and Melanie Griffiths and its from 1986, so that's both of those somewhere in their late 20s early 30s.

    Highlights (for me anyway): John Waters as a used car salesman; The Feelies as an oldies/cover band at Lulu's (Griffiths) high school reunion; soundtrack that includes Sister Carol (of the Marley backing band I-Threes) singing an easy-skankin' version of Wild Thing, Oingo Boingo, the aforementioned New Order, Fine Young Cannibals "Ever Fallen In Love", Jerry Harrison's "Man With A Gun"; Ray Liotta as the evil ex-husband and a score and incidental music by Laurie Anderson & John Cale.
    Yeah, I guess you could say I like this movie. I haven't seen it in some time, but it is a classic comedy. And I don't particularly like Daniels or Griffiths. But I wish the Feelies played at MY high school reunion.

    jazzoetry is poetry--last poets
    In my writing I am acting as a map maker, an explorer of psychic areas, a cosmonaut of inner space, and I see no point in exploring areas that have already been thoroughly surveyed--William S. Burroughs
    • knkwzrd said...
    • User
    • 6 Apr 2007, 03:41
    I could never get into Oingo Boingo. Lots of people I know are really into them, but they just sound kind of boring to me. And as much as I enjoy "The Raw And The Cooked", I still think FYC's version of "Ever Fallen In Love" will never stand up to the Buzzcocks. Now that was a band.

    • tmills said...
    • User
    • 6 Apr 2007, 22:02
    Something Wild is a great movie. Demme's directed a lot of great movies that you all should check out: Melvin and Howard, Married to the Mob, this ridiculous women in prison movie called Caged Heat, Stop Making Sense (as beelzbubba mentioned), and one obscure one you probably haven't heard of called The Silence of the Lambs.

  • illbeintheair said:
    i'm here, i was on vacation the past 10 days


    noted!

    • Haarry said...
    • User
    • 15 Apr 2007, 09:04
    The Buzzcocks are awesome

    "Orgasm Addict" is one of my theme songs.

    • tmills said...
    • User
    • 15 Apr 2007, 13:48
    Is it biographical of sorts?

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Apr 2007, 16:54
    I think so... stained jeans and all!

  • next on the chopping block:

    unfukwitable

    • Haarry said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2007, 02:06
    Kind of pitchfork-dictated but pretty good.

    Plus his name made me cack.

    :) i'd let him in.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2007, 02:10
    I say we say no, or fuk wit him, to prove his name is a falsity, in effect forever shaming him. Just a thought.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2007, 02:14
    I'd probably say yes as well.

  • I give him a meager no


    Elefant is pretty much one of the shittiest bands ever, as is Final Fantasy. Cap'n Jazz and Malajube are cool though.

    one more vote and itll be decided

    • Mod6 said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2007, 02:20
    Yes

    He listens to the American Dollar. What a post-rock fiend!

  • so it appears we have a new member with a 3-2 vote

    • zfarrow said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2007, 02:42
    yea, i like him too. i heard the final fantasy remix of that junior boys song. it was righteous.

    -zach
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.