The Chopping Block

• Haarry said...
    • User
    • 31 Mar 2007, 11:28
    ehehe.

• Mod6 said...
    • User
    • 31 Mar 2007, 15:26
    His rap taste is slightly generic (I'm sure wreckedangle would take great notice at how Ghostface and Doom are at the very top), but it's good, and he knows his way around jazz/NTPosse-Inspired rap.
    And he's listened to the Incredible Bongo Band, which is awezome (if not, again though, a bit generic indie rap).

I say in. But I don't realy know why he would want to join this group though, since we usually talk about rock stuff. But yeah, let him in.

P.S. New Order kick the flying shit out of Joy Division!!! Bizarre Love Triangle is on DDR!

• knkwzrd said...
    • User
    • 31 Mar 2007, 16:41
    Yeah I'd say let him in too. Like Mod6 said, slightly generic, but he edges towards eclecticism a bit.

• Mod6 said:

P.S. New Order kick the flying shit out of Joy Division!!! Bizarre Love Triangle is on DDR!

you should be booted just for that comment
    new order was good...especially commercially
    however without ian curtis they were missing something
    i would take any joy division song over new order any day
    but to say they kick the flying shit out of joy division is just silly (unless you mean commercially, which i doubt)
    FAC 10 and FAC 13!!!!

• nkh said...
    • User
    • 31 Mar 2007, 21:27
    dopedealer's taste seems alright, I'd go with the previous votes of let him in. It'd be nice to have more folks in here who wouldn't consider 'indie' to be thier main genre.

Plus.. Ghostface, Doom, KMD, Rakim, De La Soul, EPMD, ATCQ, J5 and The Herbaliser are all sweet artists. Well, as long as we're talking pre-latest-albums on J5 and The Herbaliser.. the pair of them have gone a bit.. rubbish, eh?

• judging by his charts, its obvious dude has been listening to rap for two/three years max
    but he is from finland
    i dont know
    let him in i guess if you guys want a c-rate version of me

• Oh man, a c-rate you. If youre not sure then I am going to go with no as you have the most valid opinion on all matters hip-hop.

• wise decision

• Mod6 said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 02:23
    He's not a c-rate wreckedangle. I'd go with a B-/B (I don't think a B/B- though, in fact I'll just go with the pitchfork method and say he's an 82.47)

The vote was like 4 or 5 to 1 though.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 02:34
    It's hard to compare Joy Division to New Order for the simple fact that Joy Division had about 4 years of releasing material and New Order has 26. I personally love them both and would hate to have to choose between the two.

• Mod6 said:
    He's not a c-rate wreckedangle. I'd go with a B-/B

what an insult

and comparing joy division and new order is pointless

• smezzer said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 02:51
    i'd say he deserves in

he's done nothing wrong in the last.fm stakes, and i reckon his hip hop taste is pretty goos

• smezzer said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 02:52
    yeah

i mean "good" obvs

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 02:58
    I say no because he has only made 6 posts ever, and he's been on last.fm since 04.

• smezzer said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 03:20

i retract my previous statement

that's much too damning

• zfarrow said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 03:48
    i'd let him in and give him like a two-week grace period in which he can prove his worth by posting and being a good little elitist. if he fails to be of value we can kick him quick.

any takerS?

-zach
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 03:55
    Yeah, sure. Explain that making 2 posts a year isn't going to cut here.

• To be fair, I doubt I had made a single post before I was let into this group. I wasn't aware people actually used the forums here, just because I hadn't seen an active group.

That was then, this is dumb.
  • wreckedangle said:
    Mod6 said:
    He's not a c-rate wreckedangle. I'd go with a B-/B

and comparing joy division and new order is pointless

explain
    same people playing instruments i know that...but it didnt sound the same and their style changed after Curtis' death
    so why is it pointless?

• for the exact reason that you just stated
    theyre two totally different bands
    the only thing that binds them are the members
    apples and oranges, yo
    obviously both these bands are before my time.. but im a fan of both bands and when i hear a new order song i dont think about the absence of ian curtis
    cause that wouldnt even make sense

Edited by wreckedangle on 1 Apr 2007, 07:34
    • MNez said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 07:21
    Isn't the whole experience of Joy Division all about seeing Ian Curtis and his intense live act? The albums actually make me a bit sleepy. But I haven't listened to them in a while, I could be wrong.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2007, 07:44
    The albums are spectacular. Give Unknown Pleasures another listen.

• wreckedangle said:
    for the exact reason that you just stated
    theyre two totally different bands
    the only thing that binds them are the members
    apples and oranges, yo
    obviously both these bands are before my time.. but im a fan of both bands and when i hear a new order song i dont think about the absence of ian curtis
    cause that wouldnt even make sense

good explanation

• MNez said...
    • User
    • 4 Apr 2007, 06:26
    I say no on Lueloseth. His charts look like the Fuse top 10, circa 2004. All indie rock with no diversity whatsoever.

• Haarry said...
    • User
    • 4 Apr 2007, 09:06
    New Order made some fantastic pop music.
    Joy Division made some great post-punk.

Ian Curtis really wasn't the defining member (although a good songwriter), I think the weak point of both bands is the vocalist. The thing that sucks is Curtis wrote great lyrics, and had no concept of melody, The New Order guy (I forgot his name, whateverbro) had a great ear for melodies, and wrote some really shitty lyrics.
    If you have lacking faith in either you need two songs

"Temptation" by New Order
    "New Dawn Fades" by Joy Division

feel the love.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.