2012 Musical Elitists Mixtape Invitational

• 2012 Musical Elitists Mixtape Invitational

This is the official thread for the 2012 TME Mixtape Invitiational. Please don't discuss in here (Post here instead!). I don't have the ability to lock this thread, or I would. This thread will solely be for posting the sign-up list, mixtapes and their scores.

Below are the rules, as first written by tmills. I am merely stealing his fine work. It's long, but I believe it covers all the bases.

1. Compile a mix of songs into a playlist that is 45 minutes are less. Any mixes longer than 45 minutes are immediately disqualified. It's best to have your mix of songs in mp3 format, if possible. None of that .wma shit.

2. Compress this mix using a program like Winzip (or, on a Mac, by right-clicking and choosing "Compress...").

3. There will be a sign-up below this first post that I will edit as people send me private messages picking the week that they wish to sign up for. There is room for 15 competitors. That gives this competition a time-frame of approximately 15 weeks (4 months). We'll give or take a week or so depending on any holdups. Also, more slots can be added if the interest is high.

4. Once it is your turn, I will send you a private message telling you to upload your mix to a host-server (mediafire, badongo or sendspace work well - there are lots of choices). You will then do as I command. After you upload the compressed mix, send me the link through a PM. I will post the mix for you. Accompanying the link, please send me the name of the mix, the track listing, the genre or theme, and any other information that you would like us to know. You will know approximately when it will be your turn to upload the mix because the sign-up sheet will have dates organized by week. Also, it must be said for CYA purposes, but once downloaded please delete the files after a day if you do not own them.

5. Within the span of a week, people will download your mix and listen to it. They will then critique it as judges. If in that week, your mix does not get five critiques, we will extend the listening period. Judges can choose whether or not they want to judge a particular mix based on their own feelings. If hip hop is not their thing, then they may want to not judge a hip hop mix.

6. There are four categories for critique: song selection (how good the songs on the mix are), creativity (is the mix filled with obvious song choices or is it an interesting combination of songs, and also is there a connecting and creative theme at work), fluidity (how well the mix flows together), and consistency (does the mix have spotty high and low points or is it consistently interesting and engaging). The total points that can be awarded in each category range from 0 to 5. The overall score is calculated by adding the four scores.

7. Overall mix scores are calculated by adding up all of the total scores from each judge and dividing by the number of different judges for that mix times two. Sounds complicated I know, but bear with me. Look at the equation below, where X=the number of judges, Y=the total number of points from the scores, and Z=overall mix score.

- Y/(2X)=Z
    - 146 total points/(2*10 judges) = 7.3 overall score

Doing the times two on the judges make it a ten point scale with decimals.

8. Keep this thread clean from anything but judging. The thread for concerns, random comments or trash talking is here.

9. Have fun!

BONUS: Compilers get one extra point added to their total score if they create artwork to go along with their mix, giving them 21 potential points per mix instead of just 20.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
    a) Song Selection (0-5)
    b) Creativity (0-5)
    c) Fluidity (0-5)
    d) Consistency (0-5)
    e) Total Score (a+b+c+d)+(1*)
    *if you include artwork

• Sign-up List

1. 6/11-6/17: Youyesyesyes - 5.8
    2. 6/18-6/24: andgoodbye - 6.2
    3. 6/25-7/1: trombipulation - 7.56
    4. 7/2-7/8: MNez - 4.58
    5. 7/9-7/15: tmills - 8.05
    6. 7/16-7/22: rm508 - 7.58
    7a. 7/23-7/29: ShockSlogans - 6.83
    7b. 7/23-7/29: eagleheartt - 7.31
    8. 7/30-8/5: ZiggyFromMars - 7.03
    9. 8/6-8/12: kwintoobay - 7.86
    10. 8/13-8/19: zorzynek - 8.12
    11. 8/20-8/26: StDionysus - 6.83
    12. 8/27-9/2: generalmalaise ut0 - 8.08

More names can be added. Thanks.

Edited by trombipulation on 11 Sep 2012, 15:20
  • I Spend Lots of Time but Never Get Change

Edited by trombipulation on 5 Jan 2014, 21:20
    • rm508 said...
    • User
    • 9 Jun 2012, 14:47
    I'm listening. Tracklist a secret?

• All I was given was that .gif, so.... Maybe afterwards he'll inform us.

• rm508 said...
    • User
    • 9 Jun 2012, 15:46
    Actually, I think the gif pretty much covers it.

• Tracks available upon request. Just tell me which one/what time in the song. Forgive my laziness

Private Property is an idea, Vocaloid is a reality.
  • I spend lots of time but never get change

A mix by Youyesyesyes

Based on comments and scores, people respected and appreciated the use of a genre not well known most TME'ers, but this at the same time hurt the score for song selection as well as consistency.

Total Votes: 12
    Total Points: 139.2

Statistics
    Average Song Selection: 2.33
    Average Creativity: 2.93
    Average Fluidity: 2.88
    Average Consistency: 2.46

Score: 5.8 (out of 10)

• WWCRJD?

A mix by andgoodbye

This mix was (not really) inspired by Our Queen Carly Rae Jepson. Best when listened with gapless playback. - Andgoodbye

Tracklist:

1. Belle & Sebastian - I Don't Love Anyone
    2. Pants Yell! - Two French Sisters
    3. The Radio Dept. - The Worst Taste In Music
    4. Alpine - Villages
    5. Contriva - Unhelpful
    6. Kleerup - With Every Heartbeat (With Robyn)
    7. Gang Gang Dance - Mindkilla
    8. The Books - Mikey Bass
    9. Dolly Parton - Jolene
    10. Wild Beasts - The Devil's Crayon
    11. Frank Ocean - Strawberry Swing
    12. SUPER SECRET BONUS TRACK

mediafire.com/?edlridnjjvrua1c

To download this mix, add a www(dot) in front of the link that is posted above. Voting can be submitted to me in a private message. Please aim to have your vote in by the night of Sunday, June 24th.

For those who wish to use 8tracks, please click here.

There are four categories for critique: song selection (how good the songs on the mix are), creativity (is the mix filled with obvious song choices or is it an interesting combination of songs, and also is there a connecting and creative theme at work), fluidity (how well the mix flows together), and consistency (does the mix have spotty high and low points or is it consistently interesting and engaging).

• WWCRJD?

A mix by andgoodbye

As one member noted, it took a great deal of chutzpah to have such a mainstream song be the mix's keystone. Most voters may not have had high opinions of the songs themselves, but they seemed to agree that the songs worked well together musically. Aside from that, though, the lack of a theme (I don't think too many people cared what Carly would do) hurt the creativity score.

Total Votes: 11
    Total Points: 136.4

Statistics
    Average Song Selection: 2.64
    Average Creativity: 2.43
    Average Fluidity: 3.14
    Average Consistency: 3.2

Score: 6.2 (out of 10)

• Like, the Bestest Concert Ever

A mix by trombipulation

The idea behind this mixtape is that if I, Connor "Trombipulation" Przybyszewski, had the chance to create my perfect concert, this would be it. These are not necessarily my 12 favorite songs or 12 favorite artists, but what I feel would be an amazing mixture of genres and styles, all squeezed into one set. In my dream concert, the songs would all flow into each other, and that is why my mixtape is one track. - Trombipulation

Tracklist:

1. Supersilent - 6.1
    2. Don Cherry - Brown Rice
    3. Marc Ribot’s Ceramic Dog - Break on Through
    4. Frank Zappa - Dog Breath Variations (Yellow Shark Version)
    5. Primus - Over the Electric Grapevine
    6. Mississippi Fred McDowell - Baby, Please Don't Go
    7. Elodie Lauten - Adamantine Sonata
    8. Man Man - Feathers
    9. Fatlip - What’s Up, Fatlip
    10. Pink Floyd - One of These Days
    11. Julius Hemphill - Savannah Suite
    12. Eyvind Kang - Marriage of Days

mediafire.com/?3q2mdk409l59b93

To download this mix, add a www(dot) in front of the link that is posted above. In an effort to have confidential voting, Tyler (tmills) has agreed to handling the tabulations for my mix. Voting can be submitted to Tmills in a private message. Please aim to have your vote in by the night of Sunday, July 1st.

As the mix is one 43 minute track, it could not be uploaded to 8tracks.

There are four categories for critique: song selection (how good the songs on the mix are), creativity (is the mix filled with obvious song choices or is it an interesting combination of songs, and also is there a connecting and creative theme at work), fluidity (how well the mix flows together), and consistency (does the mix have spotty high and low points or is it consistently interesting and engaging).

• Like, the Bestest Concert Ever

A mix by trombipulation

Total Points: 181.4

Statistics
    Average Song Selection: 4.01
    Average Creativity: 3.31
    Average Fluidity: 3.51
    Average Consistency: 3.35

Score: 7.56 (out of 10)

Edited by trombipulation on 9 Jul 2012, 02:16
  • Mouth Stuff

A mix by MNez

Theme: Songs that relate to Body Parts/functions

Genres: Indie, Electronica, Hip Hop, Covers

Tracklist:

1. The Knife - Heartbeats - 3:53
    2. Coeur de Pirate (Le Matos Andy Carmichael Remix)- Comme des Enfants- 5:12
    3. The Strokes - Heart in a Cage - 3:27
    4. Harlem - Gay Human Bones - 3:31
    5. Tokyo Police Club - Shoulders & Arms - 2:38
    6. Interpol - Slow Hands - 3:04
    7. Childish Gambino - Heartbeat - 4:30
    8. Eazy E - Gimme Dat Nut - 2:57
    9. The Blow - Fists Up - 4:14
    10. Teen Daze (Japandroids Cover) - Wet Hair - 5:17
    11. The Kills (Velvet Underground Cover) - Pale Blue Eyes - 5:48

Toughest Omission: Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling

sendspace.com/file/xar8lm

To download this mix, add a www(dot) in front of the link that is posted above. Voting can be submitted to me in a private message. Please aim to have your vote in by the night of Sunday, July 8th.

• Mouth Stuff

A mix by MNez

Total Votes: 9
    Total Points: 82.4

Statistics
    Average Song Selection: 2.24
    Average Creativity: 1.56
    Average Fluidity: 2.11
    Average Consistency: 2.44

Score: 4.58 (out of 10)

Edited by trombipulation on 9 Jul 2012, 15:23
  • Fuck Elvis: The Music of Memphis, Tennessee

A mix by tmills

Bookended by two uniquely Southern takes on the Beatles and filled with terrific cuts from one of the greatest music cities in America.

Tracklist

1. Terry Manning - Savoy Truffle
    2. Compulsive Gamblers - Whole Lotta Woman
    3. Chris Bell - I Got Kinda Lost
    4. The Scruffs - Revenge
    5. Tommy Burke and The Counts - Stormy Weather
    6. Reatards - Quite All Right
    7. Grifters - Bronze Cast
    8. Oblivians - Live the Life
    9. Cities Aviv - Coastin
    10. Three 6 Mafia - Da Summa
    11. Booker T. & the MG's - Day Tripper

http://8tracks.com/tylersmills/f-ck-elvis-the-music-of-memphis-tennessee

Voting can be submitted to me in a private message. Please aim to have your vote in by the night of Sunday, July 15th.

• Fuck Elvis: The Music of Memphis, Tennessee

A mix by tmills

As the scores show, people really dug this one. Each category had at least one "5" rating from someone, which is very impressive. Some people were familiar with the artists, some were not, but everyone agreed they worked well together and seemingly had a unifying vibe, as it were.

Total Votes: 13
    Total Points: 209.7

Statistics

Average Song Selection: 3.88
    Average Creativity: 3.65
    Average Fluidity: 4.02
    Average Consistency: 3.58

Score: 8.05 (out of 10)

Edited by trombipulation on 16 Jul 2012, 18:04
  • Grand

A mix by rm508

Arpeggios on a piano. Rain outside the window.

Tracklist

1. John Cage- Suite for Toy Piano: III.
    2. Able Tasmans- Hold Me I
    3. Montage - Grand Pianist
    4. Guy Boyer & Guy Pedersen - Ballade Pour une Amphore
    5. The Stranglers- Golden Brown
    6. Bill Fay - Maxine's Parlour
    7. Jean-Claude Vannier - L'Automne à Barbès Rochechouart
    8. Dolphins - She Took a Long Cold Look
    9. Electrelane - At Sea
    10. Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Tranquillium
    11. The Triffids - Beautiful Waste
    12. Kate Bush - Surrender Into The Roses
    13. Emerald Web - Flight of the Raven
    14. Edward Williams - Coral Larvae / Arabesque for Flatworms
    15. John Cale - Big White Cloud

http://8tracks.com/captainbildad/grand

Robbie also planned on uploading his mixtape to a file sharing site, but accidentally dropped his computer before getting a chance to do so. He will upload it when he gets a chance, but for now please use the above 8tracks link.

Voting can be submitted to me in a private message. Please aim to have your vote in by the night of Sunday, July 22nd.

• Grand

A mix by rm508

People seemed to either really like it or dislike it, and many more liked it than disliked it. Very few middle-of-the-road ratings. People who liked it specified the nice mixture of songs/styles on the mix, one person remarking that it had "quite ballsy transitions." Some negative reviewers commented that the (grand) piano was not highlighted enough and should have played a more prominent role.

Total Votes: 11
    Total Points: 166.65

Statistics

Average Song Selection: 3.6
    Average Creativity: 3.32
    Average Fluidity: 3.72
    Average Consistency: 3.51

Score: 7.58 (out of 10)

• Finding Ms. Right

A mix by eagleheartt

Tracklist

1. Miles Davis - I See Your Face Before Me
    2. St. Christopher - The Kind Of Girl
    3. Josh Ritter - Right Moves
    4. Pedro the Lion - Rapture
    5. Big Black - Precious Thing
    6. The dB's - The Fight
    7. The Sound - One Thousand Reasons
    8. Tim Hardin - How Can We Hang On To A Dream
    9. Northern Picture Library - Truly Madly Deeply
    10. Yusef Lateef - You've Changed.
    11. The Angels of Light - New Mother
    12. The Handsome Family - My Beautiful Bride

mediafire.com/?ufcf5on5n8n71an

Voting can be submitted to me in a private message. Please aim to have your vote in by the night of Sunday, July 29nd.

• Sorry I didnt get to vote on Robbie`s mix. Would have given it high marks.

• Finding Ms. Right

A mix by eagleheartt

This week both mixes put forward quite strong themes, and based on the comments I received, many listeners found this one to have the best progression or story throughout the mix. Maybe that story is archetypal or cliched, but these particular songs do a great job of capturing that romantic narrative. No song felt redundant or out of place. Even if a listener disliked a song, he or she could easily hear its role in the overarching theme of the mix.

Total Votes: 8
    Total Points: 117

Statistics

Average Song Selection: 3.56
    Average Creativity: 3.25
    Average Fluidity: 3.38
    Average Consistency: 3.44

Score: 7.31 (out of 10)

Edited by trombipulation on 30 Jul 2012, 16:17
  • The Muddled Thoughts of an Embittered Old Pop Star

A mix by ShockSlogans

Tracklist

1. Sheep On Drugs - 15 Minutes of Fame
    2. Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine - Me and Mr Jones
    3. Keith Top Of The Pops & His Minor UK Indie All-Star Celebrity Backing Band - I Hate Your Band
    4. Beans On Toast - Can't Buy Me Love
    5. Half Man Half Biscuit - Running Order Squabble Fest
    6. Misty's Big Adventure - Fashion Parade (feat. Noddy Holder)
    7. Hank Williams III - The Grand Ole Opry (ain't so grand)
    8. Frank Turner - Try this at Home
    9. Mott the Hoople - All the Way from Memphis
    10. Cake - Rock'n'Roll Lifestyle
    11. I, Ludicrous - We're the Support Band
    12. Sparks - When do I get to sing 'My Way'?
    13. The Indelicates - We Hate the Kids

sendspace.com/file/05a6gc

http://8tracks.com/shockslogans/the-muddled-thoughts-of-an-embittered-old-pop-star

Voting can be submitted to me in a private message. Please aim to have your vote in by the night of Sunday, July 29nd.

• The Muddled Thoughts of an Embittered Old Pop Star

A mix by ShockSlogans

Most people really liked the idea behind this mix, felt it had a strong theme, but not enough development. Contrasted with the narrative-style of Eagleheartt's, this mix took one topic and approached it in different, humorous ways, which most people liked, but felt that more could have been added or said. Hard to fit a lot into a 45 minute mix, though. It made me laugh quite a few times, and I can't say that about any other mix so far.

Total Votes: 10
    Total Points: 136.6

Statistics

Average Song Selection: 2.97
    Average Creativity: 3.55
    Average Fluidity: 3.14
    Average Consistency: 3

Score: 6.83 (out of 10)

• [Untitled]*

A mix by ZiggyFromMars

Tracklist

No tracklist submitted

mediafire.com/?h67a3gfc2vc7ert

Voting can be submitted to me in a private message. Please aim to have your vote in by the night of Sunday, August 5th.

*Note: The mixtape does not have a name. I put "[Untitled]" just so others wouldn't think I forgot to enter the title.

• Untitled

A mix by ZiggyFromMars

Yet another mix with scores all over the place. There was a 20.5 and a 7, and whole bunch in between. Its fluidity, mainly due to the common instrumentation between tracks, was seen as the highlight by most. Two low points for many were the last song, seen as anti-climactic and unlike the rest (and just a bad song), and the decision to leave the tracks untitled, although one member found the anonymity helpful as it eliminated any listener bias.

Another interesting note for this mix, relating to the anonymity; quite a few members thought at the beginning of the mix, particularly before the cello came in, that the guitarist might be Ziggy himself.

Total Points: 168.7

Statistics

Average Song Selection: 3.11
    Average Creativity: 2.7
    Average Fluidity: 3.83
    Average Consistency: 3.42

Score: 7.03 (out of 10)

Edited by trombipulation on 6 Aug 2012, 20:42
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.