What do you listen to while solving problems?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Jul 2007, 20:41

What do you listen to while solving problems?

Do you have some particular music that helps you while trying to solve problems? Can you concentrate if there's music on the background?
    A condition for being able to focus is probably knowing the music, I think. For me, catchy and/or energetic music works sometimes (like Pink Floyd, or instrumental post-rock, or classical like Chopin and Vivaldi, or music involving classical guitars - Uaral, or symphonic arrangements) but I can't really focus well when there isn't complete silence, and if there is, I get bored often and give up. Not too promising for progress, I assume.

• If the work is easy, then I listen to whatever. If not, I turn off my music.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Jul 2007, 12:44
    I enjoy listening to black metal while solving mathematical problems, especially atmospheric black metal like Nargaroth. Symphonic metal or classical music is also okay. I can't concentrate while listening to German singing bands especially Eisregen because the lyrics divert me.

Well, I prefer listening to Pink Floyd or sometimes Jefferson Airplane and The Beatles. I never turn off the music while solving problems, cause the music helps me very much.

A long good night kiss, and now I'm still sleeping.
    • Lusikka said...
    • User
    • 26 Aug 2007, 09:06
    I've noticed that Sunn O))) is the best background music when solving problems. My guess is that ambient music works too.

Bowels in or bowels out?
  • well mainly king crimson, pink floyd, tool etc. cause it makes me forget everything else xcept the music and the prob... usually when i get stuck swhr i pause it and continue the track after playing..

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2007, 10:09
    no matter..even death!

• why not death! >.<

• I listen to brutal/technical death metal while doing math (Dying Fetus especially, gets me focused) !

• ocet said...
    • User
    • 3 Jan 2009, 17:46
    I think the best music to listen during solving problems is piano music - it makes me calm so there's better opportunity to keep focus ;)

• Coldplay it helps me to relax and calm down

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Apr 2010, 17:54
    Klaus Schulze. His music is stimulating for my mind :) Especially the track "Alpha - Numerique". I recommend :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Jun 2010, 18:17
    Pop - perhaps BWO or Savage Garden. Rock and metal are fine for boring exercises, but they never help me with the serious problems.

• I've also recently found that Alfie's Theme has some kind of magic ability to help you concentrate on the problems at hand!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.