Bands Similar to The Mars Volta

• creid3i said...
    • Subscriber
    • 20 Apr 2004, 03:50

Bands Similar to The Mars Volta

cant be pidgeon holed but who do u think produce similar music either in a similar vein, or which produces a similar effect ?

i have read alot of comparison to Led Zeppelin (which i dont think is entirely relevant to what they do) and Jeff Buckley (th vocal style is similar in places)

• While nothing studio related sounds like Led Zeppelin, some of their live jams can take on some of a rock/blues similarity.

"Somewhere Around The World,
    Someone Would Love To Have My First World Problems"
    Matthew Good Band - Omissions of the Omen
    • jon5bok said...
    • User
    • 21 Apr 2004, 01:04
    Good question...

Hm.. this will take some thought.

thats not 70px you assholes
  • none

i havent heard anyone that sounds like the mars volta other than being my girlfriens favorite band its in my top favorite bands following pink floyd and coldplay

• biggyp said...
    • User
    • 26 Apr 2004, 18:03
    you can certainly hear the influences, but nothing compares.

• someone recommended to me These Arms are Snakes, i havent listend to it much.
    Omar and Cedrics previous project, De Facto is pretty jammy

• santana

mars volta sounds much like santana, no doubt about it

f.chovich
    • LachyC said...
    • User
    • 27 Dec 2004, 02:40

Re: Bands Similar to The Mars Volta

Quoth creid3i:
    cant be pidgeon holed but who do u think produce similar music either in a similar vein, or which produces a similar effect ?

i have read alot of comparison to Led Zeppelin (which i dont think is entirely relevant to what they do) and Jeff Buckley (th vocal style is similar in places)

I wouldn't say the vocal style is at all similar to that of Jeff Buckley...

• Toasty said...
    • User
    • 28 Dec 2004, 04:59

Re:

Quoth tremulant:
    someone recommended to me These Arms are Snakes, i havent listend to it much.

they don't sound like the mars volta but they are still awesome.

• MMBKG said...
    • User
    • 11 Jan 2005, 19:16
    Nothing really. I can't think of one band that really sounds like them, concepts aside.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Apr 2005, 01:07
    i think they don't sound like anyone else at all. that's what makes them great!

i've been told, though, the band "Gong" is similar to certain parts of certain songs. I guess I agree, but the band as a whole is different.

• EnnE5 said...
    • User
    • 7 Apr 2005, 13:10
    try out "coheed and cambria"
    sounds a little bit like the previous mars volta album

• psn said...
    • User
    • 10 Apr 2005, 18:48
    the sounds of animals fighting

sounds like some of the guitar work is ripped straight out of de-loused. also the vocals sound a bit like TMV singer.

• none

i heard coheed and cambria (a few songs) and they don't sound like the mars volta. althought there may be something with their compositive style, they have a completely different sound, not like the vintage sound that TVM has developed. the most similar band that i found is EXPLISIONS IN THE SKY, that has pretty much nothing in common with TMV 's style (there is not such POWERRRR!!) , but they are one of the few bands that took this sound (QOSTA, for example)

So this is what it takes to become a man... www.angerbox.com.ar
  • sorry, QOTSA (queens of the stone age)

So this is what it takes to become a man... www.angerbox.com.ar
  • i'm with psn The Sounds of Animals Fighting, while a totally different band, some of the riffs sounds like HUGE ripoffs of TMV. but they are a sick band check em out.

• ggSpike said...
    • User
    • 23 Feb 2006, 21:56
    at the drive-in :)

• Re:

Quoth ggSpike:
    at the drive-in :)

I was going to say that.

◄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█►▀
  • Isn't being different actually a part of TMV's "goals"? So it wouldn't be shrunk in just one genre etc? According to the conversation above I think they've done a pretty good job..

se retracter
  • nothing is similar, but music that makes me FEEL the same is "Godspeed! You Black Emperor"
    brings me the same feeling of an epic journey rather than just listening to a song

• I have never, ever come across a band that is comparable to TMV in sound or style, but I have found comparable bands in terms of quality, and ability to make me drool... Bend Sinister, for one, Explosions in the sky is another, and Mogwai is another. Of course there are some of the classics like Emerson, Lake and Palmer or Led Zeppelin but they're in a totally different class.

• Oh and Radiohead. Definitely Radiohead.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 May 2006, 13:53
    ok, mars volta is unique to me! i never heard no other band comparable to them. that's it. if there anybody knows some music, which is in that direction and has this quality, POST!! xD

I have never, ever come across a band that is comparable to TMV in sound or style, but I have found comparable bands in terms of quality, and ability to make me drool... Bend Sinister, for one, Explosions in the sky is another, and Mogwai is another. Of course there are some of the classics like Emerson, Lake and Palmer or Led Zeppelin but they're in a totally different class.

dunno bend sinister, have to listen to them.. and the others have nothing to do with tmv! hmm, maybe emerson lake & palmer (the music by led zepp is totally different to tmv, but the complexity and creativity is they have together)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 May 2006, 19:01
    Although their sound is not as complex as The Mars Volta, check out Circa Survive. Most of my friends when they hear Circa Survive for the first time, compare them to TMV, mainly because of the range of the singer's voice.

• check out "atlas of id". they are a new band that i think is trying to emulate mars volta and in my opinion they have done a good job... to the point that they sound TOO much like them. my friend played it for me and i actually thought it was new leaked TMV. so... uh see for yourself i guess.

i think you can download them for free here. www.myspace.com/atlasofid.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.