Other works of LL members

• Other works of LL members

Do you know what John Lurie, Marc Ribot or any other LL members are doing nowadays? Write us!

• First I'd like to recommend an album whicj is rarely mentioned for some reason. It's Invoke by Arto Lindsay. Does anyone know this?

• Concerning Arto Lindsay :

DNA was a previous project where he played. It's noisy, experimental but the guitar sounds quite similar than in the first Lounge Lizzardsrecord.
    The Locus Solus project directed by John Zorn where Arto played also have a similar guitar sound (syncopated, atonal, etc).
    After DNA and LL, Arto introduced more Brazilian influences in is music. His next project, Ambitious Lovers is a 80's dance-pop band, very refreshing and more accessible. I would recommend the album Lust.
    Then he start a solo carrer, still using his brazilians roots to make his music. My favorite album are Prize and Mundo civilizado.

Concerning Marc Ribot :

I discovered him via his collaborations with John Zornand Masada electric concerts. terribly rock'n'roll and aggressive. You should try this two Electric Masadaalbums :
    - At the Mountains of Madness
    - 50th Birthday Celebration, Vol. 4

Another works with John Zorn more jazzy :
    -Bar Kokhba Sextet - 50th Birthday Celebration, Vol. 11
    -John Zorn/Masada Chamber Ensembles - Bar Kokhba

• Does anyone know anything about Erik Sanko?
    He has Past Imperfect, Present Tense, he also had the band Skeleton Key, but where is he now?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Apr 2007, 14:00
    And what about John Lurie's paintings ? ;)

http://www.johnlurieart.com/art/

• Erik Sanko is working on finding a suitable label for the new Skeleton Key album, he's been looking for awhile now :(

• Arto Lindsay's album, Salt, is great. Again the Brazilian influence.

bleh
  • Arto's Salt is great indeed even if I prefer Invoke of his. If you like him, listen Ambitious Lovers! A bit more 80s but great. I'm looking forward your opinions.

• ecirtap said...
    • User
    • 14 May 2007, 05:25

Marc Ribot / Arto Lindsay / LL last.fm bio

Marc Ribot is one of my all-time favourite guitar players.

Apart from what other contributors have mentioned, he also played on albums by Keith Richards and Tom Waits. Not sure whether he recorded with them, but have seen him live with The Arto Lindsay Band and Lou Reed.

One piece on which he shines and that I absolutely adore is A Tiki for Blue on the album Taboo and Exile by John Zorn.

Marc Ribot's earlier solo projects I did not enjoy so much, but recently he released some quality stuff, like Scelsi Morning, inspired by Giacinto Scelsi, whose work I can wholeheartedly recommend, if you are into classical music.

Arto Lindsay has also done some work with Brazilian megastar Gaetano Veloso.

On a sidenote: the new The Lounge Lizards Last.fm bio mentions John Zorn and Fred Frith being former members of the band? That is news to me. Can anyone confirm?

Drummer with Ooh & The Ballyhoo, Teenage Prostitute, and Roland Blum.
    *** "Music was my first love. And it will be my last. My Last.FM." ***
  • I checked and solved the problem. Neihter of them were real members. Sorry for that misunderstanding.
    By the way, which Ribot soloalbum can you recommend me?

• ecirtap said...
    • User
    • 14 May 2007, 11:46
    Thanks. I was born & raised in Liechtenstein (which is between Switzerland & Austria), so I do have a bit of an (unhealthy?) obsession with things having to be correct. ;-)

Marc Ribot's Scelsci Morning is a fantastic album, IMHO. And definitely do check out Giacinto Scelsi, whose work it was inspired by. One of my all-time favourite composers.

• I'm just downloading Scelsi Morning! Your recommendation takes 2 and a half hours from my life. I hope it'll take more. :)

• I've read promising reviews about Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog. Have someone already heard their music? Any opinions?

• ecirtap said...
    • User
    • 16 May 2007, 01:45
    Downloading Scelsi Morning? Which site sells that one online? Do you have to pay per track, or for the complete album?

2 1/2 hours? Probably took Marc Ribot longer to write and record it... ;-)

• Scelsi Morning is really worth listening. By the way Chris Wood is playing bass throughout the album.

• ecirtap said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2007, 07:20
    Glad you like it!

Have to listen to it again, too.

So much good music to listen to, so little time... ;-)

• Still no info about Ceramic Dog? I'd be really interested.

• Check out The Golden Palominos. It's Anton Fier's side project from the 80s and up.

• muntze said...
    • User
    • 9 Jun 2007, 13:47

Ceramic Dog

There are some Ceramic Dog videos on youtube...

Re John Lurie, last I heard he was battling Advanced Lyme Disease, which has left him unable to do much more than paint these days... very sad.

• Anton Fier is playing on the first two solo albums of David Thomas. They're worth a listen if you like Pere Ubu.

• ecirtap said...
    • User
    • 12 Jun 2007, 11:27

John Lurie

Yeah, he is struggling with some disease.

If memory serves right, he talked about it in an online interview on Perfect Sound Forever.

Here are the links:

Part One

Part Two

• Hello everyone.
    Last night on TV (in Hungary of course) there was Permanent Vacation. An independent film by Jim Jarmusch, with music by John Lurie! I didn't know about it but it was great! Watch it if you can!
    John also plays a minor part as a street sax player. The final music theme is a varied Somewhere over the rainbow. Does anyone have this?

• Marc Ribot's Albert Ayler tribute album "Spiritual Unity" is great. Ribot's "Saints" possesses his customary eclecticism. I'm a big fan Roy Nathanson's group the Jazz Passengers - they recorded six or seven albums. Evan Lurie's album "Selling Water By the Side of the River is excellent. And, of course, John Lurie's National Orchestra album "Men With Sticks" is interesting as well as Lurie's spoof, "The Legendary Marvin Pontiac Greatest Hits". It's a hoot!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Aug 2007, 10:08
    New album of Marc Ribot - Asmodeus (tzadik) great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I would also strongly recommend Evan Lurie's "Pieces for bandoneon". Quite similar to "Selling water by the side of the river", however tango dominates there and, although it's not all great for me, it contains several gems, which were also played by Lounge Lizards — Travel, The Punch and Judy Tango, and Determination for Rosa Parks, which is far better performed on Lurie's album than on No Pain For Cakes.

And, besides, I love Marc Ribot playing classical guitar there. He should do it more often, but he usually just plays some free jazz on it, which I don't get at all;)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.