Multiculturalism?

• Arnoe said...
    • User
    • 25 Feb 2008, 14:36

Multiculturalism?

How you guys feel about it?

Im a rather neutral about it. I rispect other cultures but in the other hand I dont want any muslim scum to Finland.

Don't feel like writing longer text right now but I hope you guys write something :P

Maybe.
    • Hrafinn said...
    • User
    • 26 Feb 2008, 09:40
    I guess an easy thing to say is, be it true or not, that a lot of social problems that occur these days in multicultural societies are caused by cultural differences between cultures that before some hundred years ago would've never met. Culture and especially religion are things that are connected to geographical regions and their peoples. When they travel such great unnatural distances (as they do in great leaps these days) they are quite literally out of place. This applies to all three religions from the middle-east.
    (This doesn't mean I don't respect other cultures though, I'm in no way affiliated to Geert Wilders or the likes.)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Mar 2008, 16:18
    Multi-culturalism, as the term is now used, is basically an ideology used to quell opposition to cheap foreign labour, and to the cultural values of the ruling elite. Genuine multi-culturalism, whereby all cultures and nations are regarded as having a right to exist and live by their own terms, is paradoxically regarded as "racism" by many internationalists, but hey, what do you expect.

• Personally, I do not have any problems with multiculturalism. Of course, I oppose the way it's used now. But the original multiculturalism that happened in Ancient Athens (the borders were open) helped to grow philosophical ideas and drove Athens to their golden era. So, I'm in for that kind of multiculturalism. Besides, as an anarchist and a naturalist I am against borders of any form.

Libera me domine de morte,aetema in die illa tremenda.
    http://uwww.last.fm/group/Neofolk+Against+Racism
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Mar 2008, 15:23
    I'm an anarchist, but I'm not opposed to borders, on a small scale. I regard every community as having the right to turn away or accept who they want as they see fit.

• Radian_Born said:
    I'm an anarchist, but I'm not opposed to borders, on a small scale. I regard every community as having the right to turn away or accept who they want as they see fit.

I am opposed to borders in the way they are now. Personally, I'd support the idea of being organized in small autonomous communities as it happens in Chiapas (Zapatistas \m/). Generally, if every region was autonomous it would be best for me. However, I do not want these borders to be actual borders (as in having custom houses and wire netting). I find these kinds of borders restraining and unnatural. In general, borders usually are restraining and that's what I do not like about them. If non-restraining and natural borders could exist it would be for the best. That's why I only accept natural borders for now (oceans, mountains and the like).

Libera me domine de morte,aetema in die illa tremenda.
    http://uwww.last.fm/group/Neofolk+Against+Racism
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Mar 2008, 19:56
    Nuntius_Mortis said:
    Radian_Born said:

I am opposed to borders in the way they are now. Personally, I'd support the idea of being organized in small autonomous communities as it happens in Chiapas (Zapatistas \m/). Generally, if every region was autonomous it would be best for me. However, I do not want these borders to be actual borders (as in having custom houses and wire netting). I find these kinds of borders restraining and unnatural. In general, borders usually are restraining and that's what I do not like about them. If non-restraining and natural borders could exist it would be for the best. That's why I only accept natural borders for now (oceans, mountains and the like).

OK, I pretty much agree with you there.

• Nuntius_Mortis said:
    I am opposed to borders in the way they are now. Personally, I'd support the idea of being organized in small autonomous communities as it happens in Chiapas (Zapatistas \m/).

Lol at the metal hand after Zapatistas :D
    And I agree with what you're saying I think.

I have mixed feelings on issues of nationalism and multiculturalism. First off, I'm majoring in cultural anthropology, so the study of different cultures is very important to me, as is the integrity of said cultures. I think that things probably would have been better off if we didn't have people from all these different cultures put together in the same areas as we do now because it creates so much hostility, but what's done is done and any attempt to repatriate people back to their "homelands" would be a genocidal nightmare, and I'd die fighting against any such attempts. The only way it could really happen would be by coercive force, and that is absolutely contrary to my beliefs as an anarchist. Not to mention all the pitfalls you'll run into. I mean, what about people of mixed heritage (such as myself?). And what about people who don't really know their heritage?

I'm also very opposed to the forced "melting pot" idea. First off, who is melting? Usually the non-white cultures, at least in the US. It's a form of genocide--the destruction of a cultural group--but without the killing (at least not so much anymore).

People need to understand we live in a world where we are forced to mix, so the best way to go about things is to learn to understand and respect cultural differences, and unite towards achieving our common objectives as humans (and members of a larger ecological community). Keep your own culture alive and active, but don't for a second begin to become supremacist or separatist in your attitudes, and always realize that our differences are what make us strong. Learn to respect them and learn from them. Towards such an end, I think everyone should take at least one cultural anthropology class. It goes wonders towards helping people see our shared threads as humans.

I think an ideal model would be people--regardless of "race"--forming small affinity groups based on common cultural traits, and from there building small independent communities, and possibly federations (though probably nothing to crazy). Create ecovillages, roaming tribal and band societies, etc, and start getting connected to whatever land you're on now regardless of whether your ancestors are from there. These affinity groups can be based on any number of different affinities--personally I'd like to be in an ecovillage full of punks, queers, feminists, artists,and any other anarchists who want to join us. We can ally with all the hippy anarchist village and the hip-hop anarchist village and anyone else who is cool. But we can't just turn the clock back 100, 1,000, or 10,000 years like some primitivists want to do. We can look to those times for ideas, but that's it. We need new solutions and new lifestyles and can't truly revive those old traditions fully even if we wanted to. Besides, they weren't perfect. We need to create entirely new and innovative cultures and lifestyles and they can't be based on antiquated notions of racial purity or anything like that. Or they shouldn't be.

This post kinda goes all over the place in a lot of directions, but like I said, I have mixed feelings on the issues.

• Re: Multiculturalism?

Arnoe said:
    I rispect other cultures but in the other hand I dont want any muslim scum to Finland.

Oh yeah, and that doesn't sound very respectful to me. It's one thing to oppose fundamentalist Islamicists (or fundamentalist Christians), but to write off the entire religion of Islam and the people who are members of it as "scum" is incredibly disrespectful and ignorant.

• aibom said...
    • User
    • 15 Oct 2009, 12:23
    I'm for degree of interculturalism. I think that exchange of culture and of celebrate of culture by those who like it should be promoted. For instance, Runic revivalism, isn't something that should only belong to Nordic country. It would be nice to see a lot of it form in Slavic countries as well.

People practicing the culture of cultures that are not their own does not kill culture. People not spending time to enjoy and preserve ancient culture kills those cultures.

I think that what should exist is voluntary interculturalism and intertribalism instead of forced "diversity".

Edited by aibom on 14 May 2011, 15:36
  • The day that small affinity groups and local communities can exist without being obliterated or exploited by their neighbours, and their members (including children, women, the disadvantaged, etc.) have the freedom of movement and opportunity to reasonably chose to leave oppressive groups to find ones which fit their innate beliefs, I will be willing to give up robust global human rights laws.

Otherwise, we will have pacifist communities being subsumed by predatory ones. We will have women and children kept as chattel because that is how "their community" functions, and they have no recourse to flee without abandoning their entire life in a desperate hope the next town over is more reasonable. Queer and transgender persons unaware there are other options except to hide it in shame and marry and breed as expected...

For that matter, what except attack from other communities will prevent slavery? torture?

And you know what? I don't want to live on a commune. I don't want to live in a small population where my cultural and artistic consumption is limited to what people have around me. I have experienced the internet, and the beauty of millions artists exposing themselves to the world, gravitating towards websites and groups by thematic gravity. I want to move to a bigger city, with food, music and culture from a hundred countries.

Why the HELL would I want to go backwards into hoping my neighbour tells a good campfire story?

ps: Admittedly this latter complaint can be defeated by modern technology being incorporated into the communal idea. If I can travel to a commune that puts on a Bhangra show, or continue to get music from the Neofolk commune, that's great. It's isolationism that I have an immense problem with. (Additionally because isolationism allows communities to hide the reality and opportunities of the outside world from its atypical insiders who would be better off elsewhere.)

• [spam]

[spam]

true story
    Edited by hjbardenhagen on 5 Aug 2011, 08:15
  • I hate multiculturalism

It should not exist, it's a disease...

• It's not necessary a disease. People are too weak to put their petty differences aside. Too many people don't have the intelligence to learn from different cultures. It can enrich us, it truly can, but only if you are open to others and their background.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.