• josta59 said...
    • User
    • 10 Nov 2006, 17:19

New album

Hello all, I should have joined this group long, long ago. I just wanted to share that TCO is working on their next album, Ma Fleur, to be released 27 March, 2007. Cheers.

• Very very good news! thanks for the update, looking forward to it

• the first track is up on the ninja tune website, definitely worth a listen

couldn't be any more excited

• lunacode said...
    • Subscriber
    • 20 Feb 2007, 03:16
    Well, 1 more week to go....

• lunacode said...
    • Subscriber
    • 20 Feb 2007, 03:20
    Well, 1 more week to go....

• mrfreez said...
    • User
    • 3 Mar 2007, 19:11
    well, according to wikipedia its going to be released May 7, 2007 but hope a little wait makes it just a bit better

• I got the ep!
    very succesful!

• The promo has leaked recently, and I must say it's really good! Especially like the collabo's with different singers Lou Rhodes, Patrick Watson and ofcourse the inevitable Fontella Bass

info from the promo:
    May 7th sees the release of the first full studio album by Jason Swinscoe's Cinematic Orchestra since 2002's "Everyday". Entitled "Ma Fleur," the record was written as the soundtrack to a specially commissioned screenplay for an imagined film (which may or may not yet be made).
    Shortly after finishing "Everyday," a piece of music which achieved great critical and commercial success (selling over 100,000 units) Jason Swinscoe relocated from East London to Paris. Here he began work on the instrumentals which would form the basis of his new record - more moods than finished tracks, a series of sketches or diagrams of directions to follow. Having completed a rough version by early 2005, he gave this to a friend who disappeared for 3 weeks and came back with short story scripts in which each track represented a scene. Jason then took this and worked some more on the tracks, and in turn gave this back to his scriptwriter, the two aspects of the project developing alongside one another.
    Gradually, Swinscoe recruited suitable vocalists for the
    atmospheres and themes he wanted to deal with. The remarkable Fontella Bass (the woman behind both legendary soul number "Rescue Me" as well as some of the Art Ensemble of Chicago's finest moments) had worked on "Everyday" and was an obvious choice to voice the parts of the elderly protagonist that Swinscoe envisaged. Mercury-nominated Lou Rhodes is not only a fantastic singer but a young mother and so perfect for the "mid-life" singer. The as-yet unheralded Patrick Watson, a remarkable vocalist from Montreal, became the youngest of the trio.
    Swinscoe, now based in New York, then filled out the arrangments with the band and assistance from his old collaborator, bassist Phil France. As a final part of the process, renowned New York photographer Maya Hayuk was commissioned to take pictures to represent each of the scenes/tracks. These pictures, scenes where the characters are missing or abstracted or metaphoric, would once again feed back into world of the soundtrack for a missing film.
    Dealing with themes of loss and love - and in itself representing a kind of absence - "Ma Fleur" is fertile ground for Swinscoe's brand of music-making, for while people have talked about what he does in terms of jazz, the truth is that the basis of his music has always been in raw emotion. From the achingly beautiful opener "To Build A Home" to the finale, "Time And Space," this is an album which reaches for and finds a truth and honesty far beyond what we would normally expect from such a record, but without losing any of the accessibility which made TCO popular in the first place. If the mood is melancholy, Swinscoe and the musicians he works with manage to make it an ultimately uplifting experience, perhaps in the end more about the love you find than the love you lose.
    04. Music Box feat Patrick Watson/Lou Rhodes
    05. Prelude
    06. As The Stars Fall
    07. Into You
    08. Ma Fleur
    09. Breathe feat Fontella Bass
    10. That Home feat Patrick Watson
    11. Time And Space feat Lou Rhodes

• aizn said...
    • User
    • 16 May 2007, 16:14

[album artist=The Cinematic Orchestra]Ma Fleur[/album] Live @ The Barbican

i'm lookin for this live rec.
    http://www.discogs.com/release/965157

rgs
    aromat

• aizn said:
    i'm lookin for this live rec.
    http://www.discogs.com/release/965157

ooh that's one fine setlist you know if it's available in lots of record stores? (in belgium perhaps?)

• i just downloaded it on iTunes music store - it's fab.

Taipei Personality
  • The Cinematic Orchestra Live @ The Barbican

The double disk live CD is available there in limited edition

Live@Barbican

There is also another recent recorded gig available:

Live@Big Chill

These are great live captures. Enjoy !

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.