What do everyone in this group mean about Dark Passion Play?

• What do everyone in this group mean about Dark Passion Play?

I want to know your opinion about the new album and the songs on it. I think that it is a great masterpiece and in my opinion there is not one really weak song on it. Maybe Eva is the weakest... but not as bad as other ballads.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Aug 2007, 20:43
    All in all... I would say Dark Passion Play is great... I am not really a fan of ballads but that has nothing to do with this album ;).A new 'harder' style mixed with the old 'soft' style... some kind of transition, very n1 idea.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Aug 2007, 21:29
    Well as i said before best album for me is Century Child > DPP > Once > others :P
    Its not the same old Nightwish yes ... but i like this style too ... i seruasly doubt that they where going to be able to find same singer as Tarja :).But anyway i love Anette even if people say that she sounds poppy or some i love her voice :) ... she is doing good so far.

• iSui said...
    • User
    • 8 Aug 2007, 12:19
    I think it's a masterpiece like all the other albums.:D

I like every single song on it though I think it contains the weakest ballad Nightwish ahve ever made: Eva.^^

"Sans toi, les émotions d'aujourd'hui
    ne seraient que la peau morte des émotions d'autrefois."

ღ Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Wanna join my group? :)
  • I totally agree: the album is great!
    And yes, it's kind of a new Nightwish, but still very, very good =).
    I also think that Eva is the weakest song on the album, and so I was quite shocked when they published it ^^. But most of the other songs are so great <3 I can't say which one is my favorite... perhaps The Poet and the Pendulum, but I'm not totally sure ;)

P.S.: It's fascinating to see how many people have already listened to the whole album even though it hasn't been published yet offically ;)

"Don't worry about life, you're not going to survive it anyway."
  • I really love the album. And I really think it's better than Once. :)
    It just sounds much more structured to me, and I really like the orchestra. The fact that there's so much orchestra in it doesn't sound cheap to me, it just sounds.. breathtaking. =D

My favourites are hard to say.. I love The Poet, Sahara, Meadows Of Heaven, For The Heart I Once Had, The Islander and 7 Days To The Wolves the most. Argh, can't choose. =( XD

• I liked the album from the beginning and all the songs on it, but I dont understand that you all think Eva is the weakest song. I think it is one of the best if not the best song on the album. And I am no fan of ballads usually. Okay, the first time you hear it, its a little boring and you expect better from Nightwish, but I listened to it more than any other song on the ablum and i think its great. And the second place is for "The poet and the pendulum" becouse of the great orchestre play in the beginning :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Aug 2007, 18:06
    When I first listened to the new album, I thought, the album is going to be a catastrophe. But after a few
    listenings, I started loving nearly all the songs
    (except eva) In my opinion, Dark Passion Play
    is as good as Once, but it won't beat Oceanborn.

• Nothing is going to be oceanborn nor wishmaster ever, but Dark Passion Play wins the 3rd place for sure, It's a master piece, every single song is great (I don't like Whoever brings the night, though :S) I'm in love with the poet and the pendulum, sahara, bye bye beautiful and of course, Meadows of Heaven.

• Loxter said...
    • User
    • 24 Sep 2007, 11:23
    I'd never expected such a great new album.
    After listening to Eva (wich isn't bad, but not that great like wishmaster or ghost love score) I thought that was the end for Nightwish.

But Dark Passion Play with tracks like Amaranth, Seven days to the Wolves is just awesome.
    I really love it.

• I like it very much. I love "Amaranth", " The poet and the pendulum", " The escapist", " Bye bye beautiful", " The Islander"... That is Nightwish.

• Escapist!
    I don't know what do you think, but something happened to me after listening to Escapist, I call it "the anette effect"

I was really positive about Nightwish, I really was, but something kept making me doubt, but when I listened to Escapist, something changed and suddenly I had no doubt and I knew Nightwish is still the band I met at 2000, is still the band I liked since Century Child, it was because of Escapist.

• Escapist is a really classic one. Now it has become a little bit quiet around the band. And I listened too much to DPP. It has become a normal album for me and I don´t even listen to it at the moment. Don´t know why ...

• Each song difenitely has his, each one is very special.
    The entire album is the best!!

• All in all I can say that Dark Passion Play is a masterpiece as their other albums are. Dunno what my favourite is, every single work is just awesome =) The Style is different, but I think you can cut Nightwish into 2 main eras: 1. Angels Fall First, Oceanborn, Wishmaster; 2. Century Child, Once, Dark Passion Play.
    I don't care much about the voice in the second era lol, the music is very similar I think.

Favourite of DPP? The Poet and the Pendulum of course.. I don't know why but it remains me of this part from End of All Hope - 'In heaven my masterpiece will finally be sung' xp

• It's a great album, not their best though. You can't avoid to love The Poet and the Pendulum, Meadows of Heaven or Sahara. I think the weakest song is For the Heart I Once Had or Whoever Brings the Night, they don't really send out any emotions. But all the songs are great...

In my world, love is for poets
    Never the famous balcony scene
    Just a dying faith, on the heaven's gate.
  • [spam]

[spam]

"What if I'm a snowstorm burning?"
    -Emilie Autumn, What If
    Edited by hjbardenhagen on 2 Jul 2013, 10:53
  • I don't like Eva very much, but since I loved it when I got it a year ago, I guess I just overplayed it. Just check my top tracks :P

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Mar 2008, 15:28
    All Nightwish albums have been good to great. I thought that Dark Passion Play is a great album. Once was probably the band's weakest, but is still pretty good.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Apr 2008, 15:15
    I think Dark Passion Play is their second best album [first is Century Child]. Its simply grand! A much heavier and aggressive album [MPG, says no more]. Anette is a very passionate vocalist, she has a rough rock style edge to her vocals, that is a strong compliment to Marco's powerful vocals - A much better pairing in my mind.

In short, its fantastic! And I can't wait for their next release XD

• Rozen-rot said:
    I think Dark Passion Play is their second best album [first is Century Child]. Its simply grand! A much heavier and aggressive album [MPG, says no more]. Anette is a very passionate vocalist, she has a rough rock style edge to her vocals, that is a strong compliment to Marco's powerful vocals - A much better pairing in my mind.

In short, its fantastic! And I can't wait for their next release XD

I didn't really like the pairing of Tarja and Marco; it seems like it would have been better with her continuing the operatic vocals from Oceanborn, and a male vocalist with much deeper, growl-like voice. As it was on CC and Once (especially Once), both were half-way. Marco didn't quite have this Beast-voice seen in many gothic metal bands such as Epica, and Tarja didn't quite use her voice to the full extent to call it Beauty-vocals. Anette and Marco clearly fits better together vocally.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 May 2008, 19:09
    Dark Passion Play is my favourite album after Wishmaster.
    I like all the song in Dark Passion Play, "the poet and the pendulum", "Amaranth", and "Bye bye Beautiful" sure roxx as hell.

• nDroae said...
    • User
    • 9 Feb 2009, 03:40
    I've only been listening to Nightwish since fall 2007, and for a while I didn't really know or care what had happened with the singers. All I had was End of an Era for several months, and it's still my favorite Nightwish album. I got Dark Passion Play in March 2008 and I like it better than any of the other studio albums. I also love Tarja's solo project, so I don't have much to complain about. :-P

• Nah, I think it's kind of lame complaining about "the new Nightwish". First of all, the overall sound hasn't changed much, only the vocal style. Second, there are still five albums, excluding live, singles and EPs, with Tarja! Also, she has her solo career. If someone only liked Nightwish for Tarja, go after HER and listen to HER. The heart of Nightwish has always been, and always will be, the OVERALL sound and not the vocalist.

• Interesting that everyone seems to hate Eva. I wasn't aware that people thought it was so awful. I, personally, like that song. I like Dark Passion Play in general, though I am still a Tarja fan.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.