• now let me ask you all a question what from todays music will still be discussed in 50 or a 100 years? not much maybe radiohead thats about it. i think that says it all i miss the meaning of older music i miss that it used to change things it used to open your mind

I am the rat lord
    I live on the windy shore
    • idas15 said...
    • User
    • 29 Dec 2008, 14:15
    WilhelmZollern said:
    Of course the 60's and 70's will have better music than now--when you pick The Beatles and Zeppelin to represent the former and Britney Spears to represent the latter. Today's music seems shitty because we're getting a complete cross section of it. If one were to listen to the typical music of the 60's or 70's one would hear plenty of shit as well.
    Agree!

ciscomexicano said:
    now let me ask you all a question what from todays music will still be discussed in 50 or a 100 years? not much maybe radiohead thats about it. i think that says it all i miss the meaning of older music i miss that it used to change things it used to open your mind
    I'm not sure. It's hard to say now - we have to wait 50 years:)

Actually, I know really few modern bands. But not because I think they're worse - I just like 60s and 70s so much that I don't need anything else:) When I get bored with 60s/70s (if it is possible at all) I'll start with today music:)

• Personally, I'm not a big fan of modern music, particularly because of the message it gives; but we're comparing two completely different kinds of music, the lyrics, the sound, the message and all of that makes them somehow difficult to compare and in the end, it depends of the musical taste of everyone. It a shame this music isn't appreciated the way it should, but unfortunately the new replaces the old.

Of mankind we may say in general they are fickle, hypocritical, and greedy of gain.
  • A lot of new music is shit. My dad listens to it and i will not ride in his car if i do not get to change the radio. One reason i prefer classic rock is the technology isn't new. That sounds like a bad thing but its not. New music filters everything. Everything is electronic. They put way too much sugar on some people's voices. Back in the day it took real talent. Not a bunch of switches! Also how many people actually have talent instead of looks? Janis Joplin was named the ugliest man on campus at her college. She made it big. Cuz she could wail. New music is missing talent, sophistication, sense, and a point. It makes me mad.

• idas15 said...
    • User
    • 8 Jan 2009, 17:06
    oh, there's still alternative! it's not like this, that whole modern music is plastic, synthetic, creating only by sales experts however I know there's a lot of these is TV and radio. I'm not a modern music fan, but I think you're a little bit too severe and consider only a part of modern musicians. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Poland there's a lot of young people looking for alternative and artistic things! in my school plastic pop stars aren't really popular (so I really don't know why I hear so much about them in the media)

• idas15 said...
    • User
    • 8 Jan 2009, 17:23
    oh! that's the problem: really good things aren't being promoted! but why? these things we hear in the media are... easier? lighter? (well, for me is much easier to listen to Led Zep then to some of these pop shits, but that's only me:D)
    if modern people want everything to be easy and nothing more, that's the real problem!

• idas15 said:

ciscomexicano said:
    now let me ask you all a question what from todays music will still be discussed in 50 or a 100 years? not much maybe radiohead thats about it. i think that says it all i miss the meaning of older music i miss that it used to change things it used to open your mind
    I'm not sure. It's hard to say now - we have to wait 50 years:)

Actually, I know really few modern bands. But not because I think they're worse - I just like 60s and 70s so much that I don't need anything else:) When I get bored with 60s/70s (if it is possible at all) I'll start with today music:)

Quite right. I think Idas15 has articulated my take on contemporary music perfectly. Well said.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Apr 2009, 18:48
    I think in today's music there's no message

• You just have to dig deep for the great modern bands.
    Wilco, The Dodos, Back Door Slam, Joe bonamassa, Midlake.
    I think those bands will be discussed in 30+ years. Or at least I will be discussing them.

• [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 20 Dec 2010, 08:38
  • I don't know where the Guitar Heroes are, but if you do, please tell me.
    Since you only mentiioned names from the 60's and 70's, I guess 90's onwards counts as "today's", in that case, I could mention Derek Trucks, Joe Bonamassa, Jack White III, Trey Anastasio, Warren Haynes, Johnny Lang, Ben Harper...

I think you gotta consider more things before saying today's music is crap. Like the advances of technology making it much easier to listen to music and to launch yourself as a musician, even growth of population. There is MUCH more music being recorded nowadays than there was in 1969, so much more that forces me to believe there is also a larger number of great musicians. But these only rarely score a big hit nowadays, one could say. True. But do you think the greatest hits were all from the best bands from Bill Haley's days to The Clash's? Hell, no. There was a lot of bad stuff all over the charts countless times too, and a huge number of excellent musicians recording an album or two and then giving up music because they couldn't make a living from it. That's why the so-called "classic" rock is just the tip of the iceberg if you want to dig the best music from the previous few decades. It's the same for today's music, most of what's good won't be on the radio all day, you gotta go after it. Since the numbers all grew a lot, you'll certainly find more crap on your way to the gems, but be sure there are plenty of gems to be found, all over the world.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.