• What are Last.fm friends for?

Our common interest is music, just music! But being friends on Last.fm means more to me than spying the currently played track of one another.

My friends here don't necessarily have a high musical compatibility with me. We exchange informations / opinions about music widening our musical horizons and we just say Hello from time to time.

I hate to receive a friend request from someone I don't know anyhow! I think it's good practice to give at least a shout, a greeting, an introduction of oneself before sending a friend request.

What do you think about that? What are your experiences?

♫ not a day without music ♫ Dieter
  • I agree.
    However, I haven't talked to a lot of the people on my friends list in quite a while. It seems like we go through cycles with one another. But they're all there for a reason. Some because they're hilarious, others because we share some obscure artist in common. And a few whose entire music collection could just as easily pass for my own.

But anyway...yeah. I want to pass notes with someone for a little bit before we just jump headlong into the friendship thing. I'd rather have a few really good friends on my list than hundreds of people I don't know at all.

Angela
  • However, I haven't talked to a lot of the people on my friends list in quite a while. It seems like we go through cycles with one another.
    I made the same experience. The intervals between talking with each other may be several month. The key is to share any interests and to exchange views about them occasionally.

• Quality over quantity is always the best (for me).
    I'd like to think that common interests would be the major factor in all friendship adds, but as you've pointed out in one of your other posts, there are different "types" of users. In the end, it's whatever makes this site enjoyable for you.

• Thinking about an answer, I just found one word: agreed.

• Most of my friends share some similar interests with me. The word "interests" here refers not just to music, but also hobbies and activities, maybe lifestyles or even personalities.

• I think that when i add a friend is because whe have talked more that once, not only once

• hdsander said:
    However, I haven't talked to a lot of the people on my friends list in quite a while. It seems like we go through cycles with one another.
    I made the same experience. The intervals between talking with each other may be several month. The key is to share any interests and to exchange views about them occasionally.

Yes, that is going to happen in most cases. Imagine that happening with 1000's of friends? I have to take that cycling, with consideration and understanding.

I am a rare case, in that being a music publicist, I get random friend requests almost daily, from the musicians, radio, labels, television, etc. I cannot just deny them, as they are all equally important to me and yes, I immediately consider them my friends and always try to treat them as such. I have 1800 friends on Lastfm, but also have 3000 friends on My Space and 1000's more on You Tube, Facebook, EBlogger, etc.

The real question to me, might be; do I actually talk to all of my friends?

Yes, I certainly do try my best. Yet, it gets difficult to shout out to 1800 people, even once a week, so I always encourage my friends to give me a shout out, or send me a PM and I will always answer ASAP. It takes me days sometimes to get to all the really large inquiries though, as I get requests for help, advice, music shares, etc. in the dozens per day on Lstfm. Plus, I must also make the rounds with all my social sites.

Oh yes, everyone deserves a bit of recognition : ) I can never deny a friend request, but it would really be nice, if everyone who makes a friend request, at least said thanks in a shout ;-) Some do not, but that is okay too - some of my friends are just my friends to read my tutorials, reviews, radio listings, FAQs and find the new music artists.

What are Last.fm friends for?

hdsander said:
    Our common interest is music, just music! But being friends on Last.fm means more to me than spying the currently played track of one another.

My friends here don't necessarily have a high musical compatibility with me. We exchange informations / opinions about music widening our musical horizons and we just say Hello from time to time.

I hate to receive a friend request from someone I don't know anyhow! I think it's good practice to give at least a shout, a greeting, an introduction of oneself before sending a friend request.

What do you think about that? What are your experiences?

You asked in the beginning, "What Are Lastfm Friends For?" Yes, they are for sharing music, but definitely not entirely, about being social. Yes, being social is polite and preferred, but on Lastfm, it's an entirely different situation, where in, friends may simply want your music library in their "Neighborhood Radio". Maybe they are shy or quiet, or even scared to chat with you, but they like playing your music in their Scrobbler Client? Why would anyone want to deny them and make them feel bad?

I always look at the friends profile and if they are obviously a web bot or just signed up to spam people, then yes, I can see and understand denying them as friends, but that is a rather rare case, in my expereince with friend requests on Lastfm.

There is a new version of the Desktop Scrobbler Client, in development currently and as we are hearing from staff and moderators, it will be more feature rich and one of those features will be more refined and adjustable "neighborhood radio". I think for myself anyway, I should accept nearly all friend requests, so these new friends can truly enjoy the Client features and other forms of interactive radio.

• Here is what I put on my wall

and I do ignore random requests- unless I already know them in some way and figure "what the heck...". I have dozens sitting in the request thing now- most will be eventually denied if they don't respond to me saying hello---.

"Howdy! Just to let you know- I usually don't "friend" people I have never talked to. No offense intended. But by all means- say howdy when you come around. Shouts or pms are always welcome! - keeps me on my toes...heehee
    I LOVE people! My life is pretty open- Dig in. Holler at me- speak to me- share WITH me- and then be my friend.... the word "friend" means something special to me....Thanks!"

• I agree...

Greeting and Talking are basic of friendship and acquaintanceship.
    People who can not do them,can not find employment!

Of course,
    I'm not interested their people.

Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter...
    There are a lot of people who sending random requests everyday...
    They are wrong...

▲If atmosphere doesn't improve, I will never support here!▲

▲▲If you want to FRIENDS..PLEASE READ FIRST! - MOST IMPORTANT ↓↓↓▲▲

▲I DON'T WANT WIMPISH person who cannot talk with me!!▲
  • I don't know, all my friends on here are the people who I know (most of them personally) and who actually talk with me.

"The end is in the beginning and yet you go on."
  • Re: What are Last.fm friends for?

old time's log though(2006),
    maybe, useful for social-net in future.

http://news.cnet.com/2010-1025_3-6100535.html

My favorites...
    Rule No. 1
    >If you don't know people, don't assume you can trust them. Before I confirm friend requests from strangers, I think to myself, "Why would strangers choose to be my friend over the Internet?" Probably not because they want to invite me over to eat ice cream and watch "Friends" reruns.

and
    Rule No. 3, No. 5
    ..etc..

▲If atmosphere doesn't improve, I will never support here!▲

▲▲If you want to FRIENDS..PLEASE READ FIRST! - MOST IMPORTANT ↓↓↓▲▲

▲I DON'T WANT WIMPISH person who cannot talk with me!!▲
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.