• Best songs

OK, since we've just gone through the greatest album query, I'll unleash my ferocious imagination and ask: what about greatest songs?

I advocate Something for the Weekend, Hermann Loves Pauline and Sidewalk Serfer Girl. Although that's a fairly arbitary selection, as it's gotta be ....

And one day we will die and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea;
    But today we are young so lets lie in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.
  • this is so hard. but i think my faves are.. sidewalk serfer girl, the placid casual, cloudberries and of course ice hockey hair.

That is in no order. Super furry animals in my eyes are one of the best bands ever. Every album they have made is above average or great. Its very difficult too pick your faviroutes.

A slice of my action!
  • 'Northern Lites' - Perfect instrumentation, great backing vocals and a magnificent lead vocal make this one of the finest summer singles ever made.

'Ice Hockey Hair' - 'Now that you're here/Tell me you're a nonbeliever'. Absolutely gorgeous.

'Slow Life' - They opened with this when I saw them outdoors in Newcastle last summer and it was life-affirming.

Honourable mentions to:

'Juxtaposed With U'
    'Somethings Come From Nothing'
    'She's Got Spies'

Meh.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Aug 2006, 16:49
    My favourite songs change from day to day, week to week, month to month. Sometimes a Super Furry Animals track that doesn't hit the spot one day will hit the spot another day, and vice versa... their diversity, while being consistently melodic, means I'll never get bored of them!

• In no particular order:

Mountain People
    Something 4 The Weekend
    Hermann Loves Pauline
    Hangin' With Howard Marks

Music Collecting Extrodinare,Music Advice Center
  • This may be obvious, but The Man Don't Give A Fuck - especially the 2004 live version which I have on vinyl, CD and saw them perform at the RFH. When I saw them at The Astoria in Jan 1998 they blew my mind, and TMDGAF topped it all off perfectly.

Other than that:

Zoom!
    Do or Die
    Arnofio/Glo In The Dark
    Hermann Loves Pauline
    Hello Sunshine

Ach, fuck it, all of 'em...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Aug 2006, 22:48
    Ah, y'see... I consider The Man Don't Give A Fuck to be one of SFA's lesser efforts - brilliant idea, and great gig closer (even though I wish they would change it up a bit, maybe alternate it with Gwreiddiau Dwfn/Mawrth Oer Ar Y Blaned Neifion some nights) - but as a song SFA have definitely written better.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Sep 2006, 15:33
    Zoom!
    Atomik Lust
    Fuzzy Birds
    Psyclone

in no particular order. I wouldn't say there's a single mediocre or even less-than-royal SFA song though. It's just that these 4 are amongst the first SFA songs I ever heard and had completely stunned me at the time, that's why.

<3 :-|

• Zoom! is fantastic, isn't it? One of the best album openers ever.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Sep 2006, 14:28
    It is. The big 'flush!' always melts me down. And the 'twinkles' that follow, as well.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2006, 13:11
    mountain people
    night vision
    wherever i lay my phone
    ysbeidiau heulog
    no sympathy

and chupacabras will rule the world! ;>

my biggest favs. if i post all my favs, there have to be 134 songs. ;]

Edited by a deleted user on 14 Sep 2006, 13:13
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2006, 13:12
    oh, and i forgot she's got spies.

• said:
    It is. The big 'flush!' always melts me down.

I was led to understand that it's Bunf diving/jumping into a pool.

• Got to be:

Slow Life
    Hermann Loves Pauline
    Ice Hockey Hair
    Juxtaposed With U
    Hello Sunshine

These ones instantly spring to mind, but it's all amazing. Fucking love them.

"you're pure scum though, it's one of your best features"
  • rvm said:
    oh, and i forgot she's got spies.

How?

• Gumbo77 said...
    • User
    • 12 Jan 2007, 01:39
    'demons' and 'zoom!' and oh so many ohters!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Jan 2007, 23:18
    That *is* Bunf diving into a swimming pool at the beginning, Andy! You win a mini metro! xD

• I love all their songs, some more than others, depends what mood i'm in. That's one thing that i like about them, a song for (nearly) every mood!

But if i had to name some faves - Download, Fire In My Heart, Y Teimlad, Ice Hockey Hair, Frequency, Edam Anchorman. Can't beat Slow Life and Receptacle for the Respectable live though!!

And the beepedybeep bit at the start of Tradewinds is pure quality!

edit: Just remebered, Cabin Fever is up there too.

Edited by benmathewjones on 20 Jan 2007, 18:41
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Jan 2007, 20:58
    Yeah, that's Guto at the start of Tradewinds!

• wow, realy! That's proper talent for you! :D

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Jan 2007, 03:45
    theundefeated said:
    Ah, y'see... I consider The Man Don't Give A Fuck to be one of SFA's lesser efforts - brilliant idea, and great gig closer (even though I wish they would change it up a bit, maybe alternate it with Gwreiddiau Dwfn/Mawrth Oer Ar Y Blaned Neifion some nights) - but as a song SFA have definitely written better.

I heard them close a gig with Gwreiddiau Dwfn/Mawrth Oer Ar Y Blaned Neifion once - might have been a Radio 1 thing at Maida Vale, and the ending (where it fades out on the album) turned into a brilliant Can or Neu! -style motorik excursion. Definitely agree that TMDGIF has an air of inevitability about it - as unfortunately does most of the set in recent years since half of it's playing off Cian's laptop!

My personal fave is Down A Different River. I've been in that situation a few times, people who are normally friends being annoying twats, and you have to say 'see you later...'.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Jan 2007, 17:06
    phosphorousDefinitely agree that TMDGIF has an air of inevitability about it - as unfortunately does most of the set in recent years since half of it's playing off Cian's laptop!

I can deal with that, though - at least a lot of what SFA do when they're playing live is actually played live, and they use the laptop when necessary... like, for example, when they do something like 'Drygioni' or 'Hermann Loves Pauline', they always do it straight and completely live. It's certainly not like, for example, going to see Depeche Mode live where 90% of it is playing off the machines or someone like Gary Numan who has admitted that on some songs he's got backing vocals playing through samplers and whatnot... and what about Kraftwerk? Their recent shows were 100% played off a laptop... when criticised about this Ralf Hutter said "it is live, the computers are running live." *rolls eyes*

I think SFA know where to draw the line, really.

However, with hints of the new album apparently being more guitar-based and 'speaker blowing', it seems like SFA are going for a more 'live performance' and 'freer band-feel' for their next release... lets see how that holds up when they next tour ;)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Jan 2007, 23:41
    theundefeated said:
    ... SFA are going for a more 'live performance' and 'freer band-feel' for their next release...

Heh, deffo look forward to that 8-))

Personally I'd rather see a band playing 100% live, and if that means you don't hear the massed backing vocals, string orchestras and carefully sequenced synths that are on the album then so be it. Maybe it's cos I'm a drummer, and I've been there and tried it - if your sole imperative is to keep in time with the click and not fuck up at all, the whole thing becomes very mechanical, whereas if you can actually listen to and interact with the rest of the band it becomes much more fun and interesting, and makes each gig unique.

Kraftwerk is a totally different kettle of fish though - it's supposed to be mechanical. I've seen the Minimum-Maximum DVD and it is oddly compelling, watching four middle-aged Germans standing almost stock-still, occasionally tweaking a filter or intoning some cursory lyrics while the video projections illustrate whatever the track's about. And acts like Orbital and Underworld, although they're not playing any of the actual notes, do a lot of mucking about with the sequences and effects when they do a gig, so it's different every time.

Sorry, what was the question again? ;-)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Jan 2007, 08:02
    Oh god yeah, looking from the drummers perspective I sometimes wonder how Daf manages to get through a gig sometimes!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Mar 2007, 19:35
    I really wish the orchestrated bits weren't samples, but I guess there's not much they can do about that. It's expensive to tour. Though they could always do away with things like those expensive boiler suits that weren't that great to begin with.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.