Best album?

• bladh said...
    • User
    • 1 Feb 2005, 18:09

Best album?

They're all great but I'd have to say Aja and Royal Scam.

• Gaucho maybe?

• ALDP said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2005, 14:30
    Can't Buy A Thrill is my favorite

• msf518 said...
    • User
    • 17 Jun 2005, 20:43

Re:

Quoth ALDP:
    Can't Buy A Thrill is my favorite

Seconded

• So many to choose from... I would go for:
    1) Gaucho
    2) Katy Lied
    3) Can't Buy a Thrill

• bksmith said...
    • User
    • 19 Jun 2005, 17:44
    Aja.. though they're all wonderful in their own regard. I found a nice copy of Gaucho on vinyl yesterday at the flea market.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Jul 2005, 19:41
    Countdown To Ecstasy is my favorite because it's the most consistent in its excellence, and its the most exciting...also, it has my two favorite SD songs: "My Old School" and "King of the World", the latter of which I feel to be a better epic than The Beatles' "A Day In The Life"

My second choice would have to be Can't Buy A Thrill, because it's equally as alive and catchy as Countdown to Ecstasy, yet not quite as majestic. The two records are absolutely thrilling!

• I grew up on Aja.

Though I can't argue with Pretzel Logic. Not a loser in the bunch, though. Anyone prefer Two Against Nature? I'll admit it has yet to grow on me.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Aug 2005, 19:01
    I like "Two Against Nature", though it's easily their weakest album. There are some fantastic songs on there, such as "Janie Runaway" and "West of Hollywood". However, I love "Everything Must Go" because it succeeds in every place that "Two Against Nature" fell short. "Lunch With Gina" is perhaps the best song they've done since "Peg".

Edited by a deleted user on 3 May 2006, 06:00
  • My favorite SD album is their first greatest hits (my sister owned it on vinyl in the late 70's). I agree slab7 that "Two against nature" is their weakest release but I do really like "Everything must go" (and its "Lunch with GINA"). I saw the dan live in Vancouver twice and both concerts are fantastic memories. Anybody else see them live? Just joined this place and I'm having so much fun listening to all this old music...love it!

Bodhi

• Skewy said...
    • User
    • 13 Sep 2005, 08:18
    I'm SO jealous that you've seen them live. I live in the UK and they have no plans of touring over here in the near future :( However, I understand Donald is releasing a new album early next year so he may pop over to Blighty for a spot of promotion!

Here's hoping.

• Re:

Quoth E J Thribb:
    So many to choose from... I would go for:
    1) Gaucho
    2) Katy Lied
    3) Can't Buy a Thrill
    yep.
    agree with
    Can't Buy a Thrill
    and
    Katy Lied

- but they're all great.

• random- said...
    • User
    • 4 Nov 2005, 21:04
    Aja is my favourite with Can't Buy a Thrill second, yet 2 of my top 5 Dan tracks are not from their albums:

Favourite singles:
    1. Do it again
    2. Deacon Blues
    3. Here in the Western World
    4. The Caves Of Altamira
    5. The Second Arrangement

and also high on the favourites list is Dallas

but as has already been said - They are all great

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Feb 2006, 10:43
    Aja is my favorite album, then Can't buy a thrill... but it's really hard to say which s the best for me, 'cause I know songs of all the albums, so I really love Doctor Wu, but not the album Katy Lied...

• norafat said...
    • User
    • 11 Feb 2006, 19:23
    katy lied, aja and gaucho are terrific... and some of the tracks off of countdown to ecstacy get in your blood.

I saw them live a couple years ago right outside DC, they're a great show. donald fagen is so snarky. I think my favorite concert merch item is from that show, it's a pink babydoll tshirt with "SteelyDan" in rainbow glitter letters across the front, like something you'd see at a Britney Spears/NSync/teen idol concert. I love it.

anybody seeing fagen tour solo?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Feb 2006, 07:23
    Hu... did he make tour recently? 'cause when "the nightfly" was released, I wasn't born yet :)

• norafat said...
    • User
    • 16 Feb 2006, 22:06
    :) I was a baby. he's on tour again, he's got another album out. I don't know much about it though. would be glad for a review from somebody who does...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Feb 2006, 10:39
    ok i'm looking for informations

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Feb 2006, 10:44
    arrrgggg! He's only touring in the USA and Canada... poor little frenchie boy! :(

• Aja?!

How is Aja the favorite of so many people? I would rate is as my LEAST favorite dan album. Here's the top three of my list:
    Royal Scam
    Countdown to Ecstasy
    Can't Buy a Thrill

• Aja is ok, but my favs are:

Can't buy a thrill
    Katy Lied
    Pretzel Logic

in exactly that order. Of course, I also like Gaucho, Everything Must Go and The Royal Scam.

But, for some reason, The Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat (His latest album) aren't exactly all that great.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Apr 2006, 03:21
    1. Countdown to Ecstasy (almost no one has even mentioned this!!!)
    2. Katy Lied
    3. Aja
    4. Gaucho

• Re:

Not easy to find any real order after so much listening, but this figures about right:

1 Katy Lied
    2 Gaucho
    3 Can't Buy A Thrill
    4 Aja
    5 Royal Scam
    6 Countdown To Ectasy
    7 Pretzel Logic

this order may change according to the time of year and my mood. Thing is, I love'em all.

• I'd have to say, when it comes to...
    ...mood: The Royal Scam
    ...fun to listen to: Countdown to Ecstasy
    ...overall best listen: Pretzel Logic

Aja: I loove Black Cow; Aja is really good. And Deacon Blues is great too, but overall not my favorite album.

Gaucho: Except for Time Out of Mind, I really didn't care for this album.

Can't Buy A Thrill: You can tell they're freshman, and you can tell they haven't yet found their groove. Having that studio singer do Dirty Work and Brooklyn Owes The Charmer was such a bad move.

Katy Lied: Ugh- Bad Sneakers and Chain Lightning were the best, but as for the rest, you can Throw Back the Little Ones.

I haven't yet gotten their two newest releases, but I want to.

Zim: I put the fires out.
    Red Irkin: You made them worse.
    Zim: Worse...or better?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Jun 2006, 19:33
    My ever changing mood. Here I post it again, a couple months later.

1. Pretzel Logic
    2. Countdown to Ecstacy
    3. Katy Lied
    4. Aja
    5. Gaucho
    6. Can't Buy a Thrill
    7. Everything else (Including The Royal Scam... blech.)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.