Surf vs. Space

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Aug 2012, 20:05

Surf vs. Space

Which do you prefer, space rock or surf rock? Why?

• I like both quite a bit, which is why I made this group for both as I felt each individually wouldn't have as many members as the whole. I like Surf Rock's raw energy as well as the guitar tone. It's amazingly active music.

For Space Rock, I like the different melodies and the psychadelic feel to it that keeps the long songs interesting. I particularly like space rock with folk influences though I've only really found that executed well with Hidria Spacefolk until now.

I can't really choose a favorite since both are fairly different and even the genres themselves have a lot of variety. I love active stuff and usually the newer stuff over the more passive and older albums though.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2012, 01:48
    I don't know space rock nearly well enough to state a preference, but I want to state that I dislike most surf rock, just like I dislike most country music. A lot of the '60s stuff is too formulaic to give me a lot to sink my teeth into and the lion's share of the revivalists are just imitators. The surf I do like I really love though, and I keep searching in hopes that I can find more that does it for me.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2012, 15:40
    I echo what UV said. There's a lot of surf, and quite a bit of it I don't really care for, but there's some stuff in amongst the heap that is really, really great. Thankfully I have you guys to help me thin out the pile for me a little.

I have much the same problem with space rock. I hear so much stuff, from so many genres (particularly psychedelic-, stoner-, and progressive rock) being tagged as 'space rock' as well, that it makes cutting through the average or bad stuff to get to the good stuff even harder.

Just for the sound, though, I've gotta pick surf.

• Oh boy an >opinions topic time to be gay as fuck

Surf is like beer for me: some's amazing, some's piss, but it all goes down smooth except the worst of the worst. It's my go-to music for when I just need to chill my shit. I don't think there's any other music I can just throw on regardless of mood or place and enjoy it all the same. It's beach music. The beach is the best place to go in the world to be if you don't want to do anything or worry 'bout a thang. I bugged arty to put me in the group due to it being half about surf.

I wasn't much into Space Rock at all until I listened to Hp1 by White Hills (and I guess I dug Fantastic Planet when I was younger, dunno if that counts it's more 90's alt/grunge). Now I get what it's about but I haven't explored it as much. Dunno if it'll match surf for comfort music as I digest it but it's got its own flavour and personality that I'm finding I wanna be buddies with.

• Space Rock. Nothing beats the majesty of Nektar and Eloy, or the experience of playing it, or getting lost in it's atmosphere.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Aug 2012, 00:01
    ihaveresidency said:
    Surf is like beer for me: some's amazing, some's piss, but it all goes down smooth except the worst of the worst.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.