Artists with Southampton connections?

• iwp said...
    • User
    • 10 Aug 2005, 14:29

Artists with Southampton connections?

Now the forums are working again (nice of them to redesign the whole site just to fix the group forums :) - I can post about something I've been wondering for a couple of weeks.

What artists do we have, known to AudioScrobbler/LastFM, with good links to Southampton?

The obvious one is Craig David; and of course there's also Benny Hill...

So who else do we have?

• Delays, The Men They Couldn't Hang, Howard Jones.

a href

• I do think the Howard Jones link is always a little debateable. He was born as his mother was passing through Hythe, Goodness only knows why she would be doing that. I've never quite understood why, Hythe is not on the way to anywhere really though it does have a maternity unit.

What about Jane Pow who were not very famous but do seem to have made an impression. I was at the same 6th form as one of the members and he was very cool.

• Artful Dodger anyone?

And the Aqualung guy (wassisname) went to my school. (Thornden in Chandler's Ford)

And also I may have bent the rules slightly because I live in Eastleigh not Soton :S

• iwp said...
    • User
    • 14 Aug 2005, 18:05

Re:

Quoth Buttercanes:
    And also I may have bent the rules slightly because I live in Eastleigh not Soton :S

A good list so far. I also live in Eastleigh, I think it's close enough to Southampton to count :)

• I've been looking some up...

Heinz, former bassist with the Tornados, and who had a big hit with Just Like Eddie, lived in Eastleigh. He worked as a bacon-slicer before becoming a teenage heartthrob.

Two of Sigue Sigue Sputnik went to Redbridge Community School.

Mike Vickers of Manfred Mann was born here, as was Jona Lewie (Stop the Cavalry).

Mike Batt of the Wombles was born in Winchester. He attended Peter Simmons.

Underground, overground, wombling free...

• Re:

Quoth Aquamarina:
    .... Hythe is not on the way to anywhere really ......

Hythe is on the way to Calshot Activity Centre. Perhaps she was on her way to do some indoor skiing on that rope stuff that peels all your skin off when you inevitably crash? Ok, perhaps not.

• Shez said...
    • User
    • 30 Aug 2005, 01:47
    Howards Alias! <3

You're gonna feel the floor.
  • ages ago i was listening to radio 1 and they were interviewing coldplay. The singer said he was from southampton, and i think they said they all met at uni/ college or something here to, though dont quote me on the last bit cuz i think they only briefly touched on that.

• iwp said...
    • User
    • 6 Sep 2005, 10:00
    I think if Chris Martin had come from Southampton, we'd never hear the end of it! From http://www.coldplay.com/html/biogpage.shtml (which is the official Coldplay site, though I got to that page via a Google search, it doesn't seem to be available by navigating from www.coldplay.com):
    Chris Martin grew up in Devon, Will Champion in Southampton, Guy Berryman in Scotland and later Kent, Jonny Buckland in North Wales. They met in the mid-90s during their first week as students at University College London, and quickly became friends.
    So the drummer would seem to be from Southampton, and we can add Coldplay to the list.

• Liz from Blue Peter went to university here (she occasionally sings on the programme), as did (I vaguely remember reading) one of the Audioscrobbler head honchos. So Southampton is possibly one of the spiritual homes of this whole site.

• iwp said...
    • User
    • 6 Sep 2005, 13:00
    Quoth rocklobster:
    So Southampton is possibly one of the spiritual homes of this whole site.

Indeed it is... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2888431.stm.

Does "Liz from Blue Peter" have any recorded work that would show up on this site?

Edited by iwp on 6 Sep 2005, 13:01
  • oh ok sorry, it was the drummer! knew it was one of them. i was listening to it in the background and it was like a year a go, so i guess i shoulda actually checked it first.

• ChrisLo said...
    • User
    • 3 Feb 2006, 15:32
    CircusAct are from Southampton .

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Feb 2006, 18:45
    [some of] Speaking of Losers are from southampton. they're not very well known, but i don't think that should stop a local group supporting local artists.

• CircusAct and Speaking of Losers both added to the group artist connections list. The latter have a particularly impressive 1 listener on last fm so far, although that could be out of date. I'm all for supporting local artists: I was going to add Beautiful Life, but I rather suspect the artist featured on this page isn't our local answer to the Kaiser Chiefs. I also considered adding a "forthcoming gigs" section to the group description part of the page, but realised it would just have ended up being a list of all the bands I like. In fact, it would probably have looked like The Sways fan club with the odd fellow "quirky" band thrown in. Therefore, I just added the venue links instead.

• Scott Mills (Radio1 DJ) is from Soton. He's not an actual artist of course, but he has a page on last.fm

• Craig David, anyone? :P

Ummm..whats-her-face from Robot Wars...ummm..Phillipa Forrester or something...she went to school in Winchester....

The drummer of Coldplay (not sure about this) went to college in Winchester (peter symonds to be precise)

Errrrrr..........you'd think Southampton would have loads of famous faces but it doesn't really, does it? :/

• Jack Dee also went to Symonds

4Tune (from the X Factor) are from Southampton and some members are ex-Thornden kids

• How about the 2 Bedingfields (Natasha and Daniel) and the Artfull Dodger i swear i remember reading they were from round here. (although i could be wrong and im not sure we should be proud of all of those :P )
    Also Scarlet Soho? or are they Winchester?

• Are the Bedingfields from Southampton?

I might have to move...

List Maker and Stubby Pencil Sharpener at:
  • having looked it up it appears i may of imagined it.
    So dont worry. you can stay in southampton. :)

• My friends excellent but sadly defunct band Wreck of old 98 were from southampton. They have apparantly had 3 plays in the last 6 months according to last fm. Curios considering thier album was only ever released on vinyl!

• My friends excellent but sadly defunct band Wreck of old 98 were from southampton. They have apparantly had 3 plays in the last 6 months according to last fm. Curios considering thier album was only ever released on vinyl!

• Re:

Quoth Gutterflowered:
    Also Scarlet Soho? or are they Winchester?

One member lives in Winchester, the other Southampton.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.