Your favorite movie and soundtrack?

• Your favorite movie and soundtrack?

I decided to create this topic to bring some life in this forum and group :)

What are your favorite movies and soundtracks?

Most of the movies I like have a good score too. Sometimes I even like the movie because of its music :)

My favorites:

Apocalypse Now (Redux)
    In almost all reviews I've read, the soundtrack doesn't get any attention or it is criticised for being dull and uninspirational. But I like it. Especially the tracks "Dossier" (it has a mysterious sound to it) and "Do Lung". Ofcourse the classics "The End" (The Doors) and "Ride of the Valkyries" are great too.

Donnie Darko
    I love both the movie and OST

The Beach
    Movie is good, but not great (I liked the book better)
    Score is excellent. I'm not talking about the Soundtrack (with songs from Moby, New Order, Faithless,...) I have this one too, but the Score by Angelo Badalamenti. This CD is very hard to find and even mp3's are rare, but I have the complete CD. The tracks "Starnight" and "The Beach Theme - Swim to Island" are beautiful.

Blade Runner
    This movie belongs to my top 3. Score by Vangelis. I know many people don't like his music, but I think it's great.
    "Blade Runner Blues" just fits the movie so well, with the saxophone theme. The sense of desolation, I love it :)

Composers I especially like:

Vangelis, Ennio Morricone, Hans Zimmer (The Thin Red Line and ofcourse Gladiator), Danny Elfman (Edward Scissorhands)
    Angelo Badalamenti, Bernard Herrmann (Taxi Driver, Psycho, North by Northwest,...), John Williams, Howard Shore, Clint Mansell, Giorgio Moroder

Anyone into game music?

I like Deus Ex and its OST (by Alex Brandon), The Red Alert Soundtrack, Escape from Butcher Bay (Gustav Grefberg best work imo), Metal Gear Solid (KCE Japan Sound Team), Half Life 1 and 2,...

So what are your favorites? And could you recommend me something (in the style of the movies/games above)?

• sebpulp said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2005, 03:55
    You'd once try the OST of 'Lost in Translation' ( with My Bloody Valentine, Kevin Shields, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Death in Vegas... ), jaybee... :)

Other good OST's for me are :
    - A Space Odyssey
    - Edward Scissorhands & The Nightmare Before Christmas
    - 24 Hour Party People
    - Mulholland Drive

... and lots i forgot about.

Er is niets tegen geoudehoer, zolang er maar Gods zegen op rust.
    • Safan said...
    • User
    • 17 Jul 2005, 19:33
    -Escape From New York
    -Mulholland drive
    -Virgin Suicides
    -Basic Instinct

.... and some rare 60 - 70's exotics/coctail music! ;)

Edited by Safan on 17 Jul 2005, 19:35
    • HOO said...
    • User
    • 18 Jul 2005, 08:07
    Hi there

Film OST:
    LotR I-III (Howard Shore)
    Pirates of the Caribbean (Klaus Badelt)
    Star Wars (John Williams)
    The Good, the Bad and the ugly (Morricone)
    The Village - James Newton Howard

Games:
    C&C Generals
    Rogue Spear
    Linage 2
    (by Bill Brown)
    Warcraft 3 & World of Warcraft (Jason Hayes)
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Warhammer 40k Dawn of War

Edited by HOO on 29 Jul 2005, 20:07
  • I really liked the soundtrack from Lost Highway, although I didn't find the movie as keen. Then again, I've been told that I should watch again it now that I'm older.

The music from I <3 Huckabees was nice and simple, which followed along nicely with the movie's lighthearted nature. (I think only I could find a movie about warring philosophies "lighthearted.")

The music from Amelie was great, too.

I could go on for a while.

One of my favorite soundtracks, though, was from the movie adaptation of Cowboy Bebop. Yoko Kanno is my hero.

It's food nouveau... the shape of love.

• Safan said...
    • User
    • 24 Jul 2005, 19:31
    The combination Lynch & Badalementi are future classics ...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Aug 2005, 15:36
    - Forrest Gump (Alan Silvestri)
    - Pearl Harbor (Hans Zimmer)
    - Titanic (James Horner)
    - Bridget Jones's Diary: The edge of reason (Harry Gregson Williams)
    - Notting Hill (Trevor Jones)
    - King Arthur (Hans Zimmer)
    - Gladiator (Hans Zimmer)
    - A Beautiful Mind (James Horner)
    - Troy (James Horner)
    - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone xD (John Williams)
    - Dreamer (Jan AP Kaczmarek)
    - from musicals: Chicago and The Phantom of the opera.

I think that's all...

• I really like danny elfman. aside from the really cool songs with really great lyrics, like The nightmare before X-mas and the more recent Charlie & the chocolate factory, he also displays a really great sense of atmosphere in films like Sleepy Hollow, or The frighteners.
    Other that come to mind are the Being John Malkovich OST by Carter Burwell (alos love his scores for all the Coen brothers films) and Requiem for a dream by Clint Mansell
    I also listen to Alan Silvestri's scores for the back to the future series, cause they make me feel nostalgic:)

• the Children of Dune soundtrack (Brian Tyler)

Pirates of the Carribean (Klaus Badelt)

Titanic (James Horner)

And anything from the Star Trek series...

• Re:

Quoth Safan:
    The combination Lynch & Badalementi are future classics ...

*Current* classics, IMO :)
    As are the Danny Elfman/Tim Burton team, well, maybe not counting Charlie... - didn't thrill me :/

Hans Zimmer - mostly all wonderful! And I do have a special place in my heart for his collaborations with Lisa Gerrard.

Ruichi Sakamoto's "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" (especially 'Forbidden Colors' with David Sylvian) is awesome.

Vangelis has some classic soundtracks, of course - for anyone into Vangelis, I'll recommend a Norwegian soundtrack by Geir Bøhren & Bent Åserud, to the movies Etter Rubicon & Orions Belte. Great stuff!

Edited:
    I totally forgot - my current favourite is Jocelyn Pook, with the "Eyes Wide Shut" soundtrack - as well as her other stuff.
    In a kind-of similar vein there's Raison d'être; not soundtracks, but could've been :)

Edited by brightlyblack on 3 Sep 2005, 09:35
  • hmm.... from the top of my head...

FILM:
    Donnie Darko
    Fight Club (not really moody or emotional, but The Dust Brothers did a really good job!)
    American Beauty
    Requim for a Dream
    Titanic
    Harry Potter
    LOTR

GAMES
    American McGee's Alice (i friggin LOVE this OST; Chris Vrenna is magnificient!)
    Splinter Cell (gotta love Amon Tobin!)

• Thanks for the replies, I will try your picks.

• Elfman

Almost anything by Danny Elfman. Particularly his soundtracks to Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns. Those two films represent the little elf at his biggest.

• Classic Hollywood

if you like the old classics, try any film by Eric Wolfgang Korngold. One of his greatest scores ever was for "the Adventures of Robin Hood" starring Errol Flynn. Classical music at it's richest and fullest. Star Wars owes heavily to Mr. Korngold.

Another classic composer is Alexander Korda. Listen to his score to "the Thief of Bagdad" and you'll never be the same again.

• Bacharach

For fans of the sixties film scores, listen to "the April Fools" and you'll hear why Burt Bacharach is considered legendary.

• Hey! I just joined this group and wanted to say hello.

My favourite soundtracks are A lot like love and High Fidelity (got a lot of songs).

• Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind....

The film and the OST, are wonderful, specily Nola's Bounce of John Brion and 2 gongs by the polyphonic Spree, they guys are crazy, it's my firs option

• My favs are Pulp Fiction, Lost in Translation, Lord of the Rings, High Fidelity and Apocalypse Now. But i'm sure there are more.

It's a beautiful world we live in / A sweet romantic place
    • gaz_ said...
    • User
    • 13 Aug 2006, 21:33
    Neverending Story

Team America

• araleps said...
    • User
    • 18 Aug 2006, 17:30
    My fav
    -Donnie Darko
    -Lost in Translation
    -Magnolia
    -Back to the Future
    -Good Morning Vietnam

• gaz_ said...
    • User
    • 16 Sep 2006, 23:28
    Oh and obviously Star Wars

• sookyb said...
    • User
    • 19 Sep 2006, 07:12
    The Royal Tenenbaums OST (or anything Mark Mothersbaugh)
    The Virgin Suicides (Air)
    Lost in Translation Soundtrack & OST (Kevin Shields)
    Frida (Elliot Goldenthal)
    Amelie (Yann Tiersen)
    Harry Potter (John Williams)
    The Secret Garden (1993) (Zbigniew Preisner)
    Samurai Champloo (Nujabes, Fat Jon, Tsutchie, Force of
    Nature)

and oh yes. I had to add one more:

The Pianist (Chopin played by Janusz Olejniczak)

And someone mentioned games -- In 2000 My brother had a shooting game for PS2 called "Res" based on a series of beeps and blips set to drum & bass. I haven't seen it since.

• Hello everyone. I just joined and would like to add to this discussion. My favorite soundtracks are Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Conan, (The first movie) Star Trek, The Motion Picture, A Clockwork Orange, Jaws, Apocalypse Now, Suspiria by Goblin and I'm sure that there's a lot more that I'm leaving out. A few TV Sound Tracks come to mind like the old Peter Gunn show and my favorite TV tune of them all: Courageous Cat and Minute mouse. Sheesh I'm getting old!!

"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding."-Job 37:5
  • There is a scene in Cruel Intentions when they play colorblind with Counting Crows. It is not my favorite soundtrack or my favorite movie but I love that song and I love that scene.

• Nuitt said...
    • User
    • 6 Feb 2007, 16:19
    Well... it's hard to say which film is the best one. But my first place is "The Lord...", cause I'm a really big fan of Tolkiens books. The soundtrack is also amazing.

My favourite soundtracks are :
    - Requiem For a Dream
    - Amelie
    - The Da Vinci Code
    - Corpse Bride
    - King Arthur
    - Tristan And Isolde

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.