The Soundtrack That Got You Interested In Soundtracks

• The Soundtrack That Got You Interested In Soundtracks

Here's a question for you: what was the soundtrack that started you on the path to becoming a soundtrack geek?

For me, I think it was seeing the original Star Wars trilogy for the first time. John Williams' score is still just amazing to me: the way he deftly weaves a dozen themes in and out of his music. My first soundtrack on cassette was the original Star Wars soundtrack.

So, what about you?

• Yeah, the Star Wars music is pretty awesome, I guess this doesn't really count but the first actual ost i bought was Spiderman 2........it has some good tracks okay? I've only just recently got more into soundtracks, but I really like the music in Wolfs Rain, even though I haven't quite got round to buying the soundtrack yet......

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Feb 2006, 13:27
    1994. 12 years old. My parents had just bought me Final Fantasy VI (III as it was released here in the States) for the SNES. Sitting there, watching the opening, as the magitek armored soldiers approached Narshe... the music... it's beauty tore me apart. There were many moments like that throughout the game for me. I have grown a passionate fan of soundtracks and scores in general, but Final Fantasy VI is still one of my favorites.

• Final Fantasy music is so beautiful, I have only got one track from a ff ost (Zanarkand from FFX) but just playing the games and listening to the music you can tell it could only have been made by a genius! Zanarkand is the opening song for FFx and I would just watch the opening to hear that song, its so beautiful it makes me want to cry! *sob*

• Yann Tiersen's soundtrack for Amelie from Montemarte, it made me want to zoom around Paris in a vespa when I heard it for the first time while not watching the movie.

Brilliant stuff.

• Eruanna said...
    • User
    • 13 Feb 2006, 19:04
    Lord of the Rings. :P I was a Lord of the Rings nut, so I bought the soundtrack as an addon to my fandom, and then I discovered that scores are amazing. From then on when I watch a movie I pay acute attention to the background music and decide if I want to buy the soundtrack or not. :)

• I do that sometimes, the LOTR music fits the film well! ;)

• Rian said...
    • User
    • 14 Feb 2006, 21:07
    The first Batman score by Danny Elfman. It was the first soundtrack i bought, along with Jurassic Park by John Williams. Those two pretty much got me converted :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Feb 2006, 10:45

Well...

For me, it was Star Wars Episode II (Attack of the Clones) , and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone.

• STAR WARS, no doubt....... also Danny Elfman's scores to the Tim Burton movies (Batman, Edward Scissorhands)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Feb 2006, 08:58

Nara

Do you remember those HBO commercial spots? I remember searching for months for a song they used. This was probably back in 1999 or 2000? The song is called "Nara" by E.S. Posthumus... and apparently now, it's super easy to find (it's on iTunes. Go Figure...)... because it's the opening song to some show called Cold Case Files...

oh, and about Final Fantasy songs... it's all about Final Fantasy II (IV in Japan)!

• zinigor said...
    • Subscriber
    • 21 Feb 2006, 14:23
    As I have read through the topic, I've realised I don't have the soundtracks you all are talking about. What a shame! I will have to go and get 'em!

As for me - I've got hooked on this stuff when I first heard Akira Yamaoka's soundtrack for Silent Hill 2. This and Hans Zimmer's Last Samurai Soundtrack made me a total addict!

"Oh, sorry, I was taking life seriously!"
    - Bill Hicks
  • hmmmm, I think I started listening to soundtracks at the age of 12 or something like that. With the original trilogy of Star Wars and then Harry Potter, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer and the list goes on. Let's not forget the LotR soundtrack that totally rocked! It was just amazing!

The latest soundtracks I got were The Island and Chronicles of Narnia. :p

• mine...

Star Wars, for starters. Then I begun to find music for older movies in a cassette mom had, and other selections.

Then I stumbled with the original version of 2001 Space Odyssey. Woha! Dominic Harlan did some awesome music for that, even though this album is best recall for Also Spracht Zarathustra. Harland is more know for what he did in Eyes Wide Shut.

to take arms against a sea of troubles
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Feb 2006, 00:52
    It was a weird one for me...The soundtrack of the recent adaptation of The Importance of Being Earnest. It's such a quirky, fun score that I had to have it. Since then I've been devouring music soundtracks like crazy.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Feb 2006, 00:56
    It was a weird one for me...The soundtrack of the recent adaptation of The Importance of Being Earnest. It's such a quirky, fun score that I had to have it. Since then I've been devouring music soundtracks like crazy.

• tdyoder said...
    • User
    • 23 Feb 2006, 01:05
    Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves.
    seriously.
    amazing.
    :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Feb 2006, 15:45
    Very Beautiful, The first soundtrack I listened to was Simon Rattles "Henry V" I can't remember when though, its always been there.

• Requiem for a dream, O brother where art thou, donnie darko

• Vaeltaa said...
    • User
    • 27 Feb 2006, 03:03
    Hm. I think it was Howard Shore's soundtrack for the first 'The Lord of The Rings' movie that got me interested in soundtracks.

• stalwyn said...
    • User
    • 28 Feb 2006, 17:45
    I'd say first Leon, then Requiem for a Dream. I was never into the whole John Williams thing until recently when I could see he was more than just some themesong writter

• My father had Schindler's List OST: it was the seed. However, teh real start was with Howard Shore Lord of The Rings.

• Danny Elfman's work on Nightmare Before Christmas started it for me. That fed my love for Danny Elfman, then the Sleepy Hollow soundtrack, then soundtracks in general.

• mjcrbt said...
    • User
    • 3 Mar 2006, 12:01
    I usually dont buy soundtrack music my first was Kill Bill2 and after that "Tarantino Connection" with songs from several movies. Trainspotting has very good songs too. Lost in Translation is a good one too.

If Tarantino were here in last.fm I would add him as friend, he finds always great songs

• twisted nerve, from the kill bill soundtrack.. is a really cool song

if any one is a nerd like i am, youll recognize twisted nerve as the opening for the 2005 cadets show.. the flag corps whistled it

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.