The best soundtrack?

• Unrated said...
    • User
    • 30 Jul 2005, 15:13

The best soundtrack?

There are many good soundtracks... But wich do you think is the best?

My favorite is Ocean's twelve soundtrack!

Do anyone know the genre of the music in the soundtrack?

• Wow. I don't know if I could ever choose just one.

The Ocean's 11 and Ocean's 12 soundtracks are quite good.

Hmmm...I may have to go with the soundtracks for the anime shows Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Cowboy Bebop (composed by Yoko Kanno, performed by The Seatbelts) touches all sorts of genres (jazz, country, rock) and every bit of it is good. Samurai Champloo is mostly a kind of hip-hop by a couple of artists like fat jon and Nujabes.

But anything Michael Giacchino touches seems to turn to gold as well. I love The Incredibles soundtrack, and even his older video game soundtracks are awesome, like the Medal of Honor franchise, which is where I first heard of him.

I also like the Starship Troopers soundtrack, kind of an underrated pick.

I could really go on and on...

• Unrated said...
    • User
    • 30 Jul 2005, 17:27
    Hehe I see...

I havent really listen to any of those. I have to dowload them but its hard to find soundtracks.

Got any good sites?

• Anime OST's are awesome :)

the Noir OST was just friggin' awesome to hear again and again, it's a kind of chilled but aggitated soundtrack at thes ame time

as for real movies, hackers had a way better ost then plot, also with alot of diff styles

• Yes, Yuki Kajiura is quite talented. The .hack//SIGN soundtracks were nice, too. The only downside with her is that most of her stuff, while all good, is starting to blur together.

Mai-Hime was a step in the right direction for her: still good, but a little different from her normal style.

• The first Matrix soundtrack, all the Tarantino movie soundtracks...and the Sabrina the Teenage Witch soundtrack ^^;; (quiet, you; it has some good songs on it :P)

My absolute favourite at the moment is the Katamari Damacy soundtrack o/> I wanna wad you up into my life o/>

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.
    Edited by rastartatum on 3 Aug 2005, 02:39
  • Re:

Quoth RadicalBender:
    Yes, Yuki Kajiura is quite talented. The .hack//SIGN soundtracks were nice, too. The only downside with her is that most of her stuff, while all good, is starting to blur together.

Mai-Hime was a step in the right direction for her: still good, but a little different from her normal style.
    Yes, it was more 'daring' for her, .hack//SIGN was boring after a while....

Tarantino's movies have great OST's *countin' flowers on the wall, that don't bother me at all*
    also A Clockwork Orange had a great OST, perfect for that movie

• yagood said...
    • User
    • 3 Aug 2005, 09:59
    I would say:

- Fight Club
    - Kontroll
    - Lost In Translation
    - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
    - Requiem for a Dream

• I enjoy Hans Zimmer's and Cliff Martinez's work. Gladiator, Thin Red Line and Solaris soundtracks come to mind first.

Then there are japanese composers, Taku Iwasaki, Joe Hisaishi and Taro Iwasiro for example. Hisaishi has made very exceptional soundtracks for Miyazaki animation films and Takeshi Kitano films.

• Re:

Quoth Kevin1988:
    Anime OST's are awesome :)

the Noir OST was just friggin' awesome to hear again and again, it's a kind of chilled but aggitated soundtrack at thes ame time

Yuki Kajiura did an excellent job on that soundtrack. I'm not normally a fan of that kind of weird techno-ish style, but Noir's OST really drew me into the story. I love it when a soundtrack tells a story; I think Yuki Kajiura succeeded in doing that.

Of course one can't go far without mentioning John Williams. He kind of reformed the movie soundtrack, going for the more dramatic, yet a little more daring that typical classical music. I think it worked, but his style is a little over-worked now. While I did enjoy select tracks from the latest Star Wars movies, they do tend to get old after a while.

I've just been having fun listening to Koji Kondo's music for Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time OST and some remixes thereof, for a change.

• I'm an 80s fan so I love stuff like The Breakfast Club and The Lost Boys. TLB is especially good.
    I've fallen in Love with the Peter Pan score lately and I'm gutted that I can't find my LOTR trilogy score!
    Fight Club has an amazing soundtrack and Tarantino never seems to go wrong, even if the tracks he picks are random and obscure to me :)

• BANGMAN said...
    • User
    • 26 Sep 2005, 18:34
    BLADERUNNER
    BIRDY
    THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST
    MISHIMI
    RIVER'S EDGE
    PARIS TEXAS
    AKIRA
    :o)

• Hmm I think Basil Poledouris's 'Conan' soundtrack takes the cake.

Other great soundtracks are:

Nobuo Uematsu's 'Phantasmagoria' and 'Final Fantasy' series
    Philip Glass's 'Mishima'
    Joe Hisaishi's soundtracks for the Miyazaki films
    John Corigliano's 'The Red Violin'
    Akira Yamaoka's 'Silent Hill' series
    Lee Holdridge's 'The Mist of Avalon'
    Wojciech Kilar's 'The Portrait Of A Lady'
    Yoshitaka Azuma's OST for 'Panzer Dragoon'

That's about it.

• Here is some of the best albuns ive heard (You have to like variety of style to enjoy them):

-Emir Kusturica & No Smoking Orchestra - La Vie Est Un Miracle
    -Ghost In the Shell 2, Innocence OST by Kenji Kaway
    -Fight Club OST
    -The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou OST
    -The Lord of the Rings OST (any of the three)

Also try:
    -Plunckett and Macleane, by Craig Armstrong interpreted by the London Session Orchestra
    (this one is top notch, some of the best music ive heard)

Just about anything that comes out of Ennio Morricone and Danny Elfman is good.

(Edited to add) How could I forgot:
    -Conan the Barbarian OST
    -Hable con Ella OST
    -Le Fabuleux Destin D'Amelie Poulain OST
    -The Truman Show OST

Edited by Caerbanog on 5 Oct 2005, 13:30
    • marshee said...
    • User
    • 10 Oct 2005, 16:48
    I really like the soundtracks from the films:
    Janes Horner - Titanic
    Trevor Rabin - Armageddon [score]
    Klaus Badelt - Pirates Of The Carribean
    Bruno Coulais - Les Choristes (The Chorus)

I love the TV themes from:
    Monarch Of The Glen (BBC)
    Hustle (BBC)
    The Bill (ITV)
    Holby City (BBC)

I also love the music from the Sims

• My Fave Soundtrack

Big Fish - Danny Elfman

• A small update to my last post:

Ulver - Svidd Neger soundtrack

Really interesting combination of classical and electronic elements. Strong atmospheres and sounds like a twisted dream. I can seriously recommend this on. Ulver's music has been best described as "chamber music for the fucked-up". That sums it up quite good.

Cliff Martinez - Solaris

Really simplistic and floating. As an ambient lover I really dig this kind of music

Vangelis - Blade Runner

The one and only. Captures the atmosphere of the movie perfectly.

Edited by Michikawa on 20 Oct 2005, 11:48
  • Re: Re:

Quoth Kevin1988:
    also A Clockwork Orange had a great OST, perfect for that movie

Interesting that you mention that. A Clockwork Orange has a weird (generally not so nice to listen to) soundtrack, but it matches the film perfectly. I completely agree.

Quoth ejtheviking:
    I'm an 80s fan so I love stuff like The Breakfast Club and The Lost Boys. [...] Tarantino never seems to go wrong, even if the tracks he picks are random and obscure to me :)

I also love the oldies! I must have been born in the wrong decade. The Lost Boys is great, I'll have to check out the other one since you recommend it.

Tarantino does seem to pick at random, huh? They're not only very suitable, but also just pleasant songs in general.

• Re:

Quoth Michikawa:
    Really simplistic and floating. As an ambient lover I really dig this kind of music

Vangelis - Blade Runner

The one and only. Captures the atmosphere of the movie perfectly.

Vangelis, of course! It surprizes me that I'm not the only one that actually likes to listen to Vangelis!

• marshee said...
    • User
    • 22 Oct 2005, 09:41
    I've only heard 1 song by vangalis which is 2002 Soccer World Cup Anthem

• I'll bet you've heard Conquest of Paradise and Chariots of Fire, too.

• marshee said...
    • User
    • 24 Oct 2005, 10:28
    Not conciously.

• Vangelis is so 80s that not many recognize/have heard him :) But anyone who hasn't heard of him or his music I'd seriously recommend checking out Blade Runner soundtrack. It's marvelous and timeless!

• I love the OST to the anime Hellsing by Yasushi Ishii

John Williams is also indispensable.

• lapsus said...
    • User
    • 29 Oct 2005, 23:58
    Akira Yamaoka first of all. That man created the soundtracks for the Silent Hill series, and those soundtracks are like... the best I've ever heard.

All Metroid soundtracks are good too, and the soundtrack for Lost in translation.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.