New Direction

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Mar 2008, 17:12

New Direction

Hello fellow Sopor-fans.
    I have the greatest respect for Anna-Varney, but I fear that the Sopor Aeternus that is so precious to me is now over. Recent actions and statements, and the ridiculous myspace profile seem to be remaking Sopor into a new entity, trendy, and marketable to the average young "Goth" angsty kid. The metaphysical poetry and dark mysteriousness of classic Sopor lyrics have been replaced by homo-erotic humor. And the new products, such as the buttons and the "Love Glove", seem to contradict statements made earlier by Anna-Varney that she cares nothing for popularity and success and makes the music only for herself. If so, why all the stupid merchandise?
    I understand that Sopor Aeternus is Anna-Varney and Anna-Varney is Sopor Aeternus, but it seems that Anna-Varney has changed. Maybe I am wrong and a fool, but that is how I feel. I have not lost any respect for Anna-Varney, but I do not have the same love and appreciation for her newer art that I do for such great works as "Dead Lovers' Sarabande".
    Does anyone feel the same way I do, or am I just a close-minded idiot?

• I feel the same :(

Take my hand in the old "Theatre of Seven Hells"
  • Me too.. I love her new releases but far prefer the older ones. I guess it makes sense though, you can't just go on producing the same things over and over.

• Yee, A-V's art's changed...but...but it's only another side of her GREAT talent

• It's not talk about music. About commercial and non-commercial ANNA.

• Hi there, well it a case of taste, yes, but I don't find that Sopor MySpace-Page ridiculos, but very nice, with most fascinating colors. And I think also, that Anna Varney "plays" often with (self)irony, which underlines more her poetical- decadent music direction.She has been always commercial on her wise, that is more an artist habitus, so I think...

• :(

• It is the same thing, Anna is commercial with her music...

• teh_roy said...
    • User
    • 20 May 2008, 11:47

Who cares if she is commercial or not... she still makes awesome, unique music, and NO OTHER musician/music can be compared to her. I like her newer style/art more than the one before DLS, but i don't really like the artwork and lyrics of "Les Fleurs du Mal", somehow not serious enough for me ^^.
    But still stupid is all the merchandise. Sure, almost every band makes merchandising, but the purpose of her music is "spiritual healing and self therapy" as she says, an not entertainment and commerical success, so why do we need t-shirts and buttons?

• I care. It's ideological question.

• Don't believe ever in what musicans say about their musical intentions and purposes...

• Geriangelo said:
    Don't believe ever in what musicans say about their musical intentions and purposes...

I believe. Maybe she is just getting older or producer doing his/her job :/

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Nov 2008, 03:07
    I agree with feelings displayed on this thread--
    However Anna-Varney is he rown being, and we can't understand her.
    Still, how I miss the older style of Sopor!
    And yes, ideology seems to have shifted, or at least she expresses her soul in different images.... maybe what we have now is actually closer to the true Anna-Varney (if there is such a thing)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Nov 2008, 03:09
    And maybe the record label is making her go along with the merchandise

• I think Sopor Aeternus is Anna's way to express her feelings and experiences, such as an autobiography.
    For example "Tales from the inverted womb", where the subject matter was her mother.

Maybe she deals with this kind of problems by making music and after finishing a subject, she got a little bit over it.

Can it be that after this long time in making music it somehow healed her from her sufferings and made her be more positive?

• Anna is her very own producer: she decides what, how, in which way, and why!

• Hiordis said...
    • User
    • 23 Nov 2008, 06:41
    Did he (oh, I still have a habit to call Anna in such way) infect you with the wish of suicide, for exemple, after careful listening of Todeswunsch? I've always thought that it requires _great_ power to carry such things inside and to bring them into outer world. It's so painfull.. may be the way of pain impresses her no more.

I feel sad looking at all these new changes.. But. (S)he can't eternally live in hell, even in hell of a cosmic beauty.

And still.. Les Fleurs Du Mal is also the work of genius. I've opened it after a year of misunderstanding.

• Hiordis said...
    • User
    • 23 Nov 2008, 06:47
    but My space is awful, yeah.. And the collection of badges. Sometimes I think it's a great joke and a kind of perfomance. Or the requires of business. Who knows what they do with Anna..

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Nov 2008, 00:58
    Hiordis said:
    Did he (oh, I still have a habit to call Anna in such way) infect you with the wish of suicide, for exemple, after careful listening of Todeswunsch? I've always thought that it requires _great_ power to carry such things inside and to bring them into outer world. It's so painfull.. may be the way of pain impresses her no more.

I feel sad looking at all these new changes.. But. (S)he can't eternally live in hell, even in hell of a cosmic beauty.

And still.. Les Fleurs Du Mal is also the work of genius. I've opened it after a year of misunderstanding.

Anna-Varney's music I think has helped me to understand and deal with feeling actually... Odd that such negative attitudes expressed in the lyrics has, overall I think, made me more positive, because Anna has shown me so much beauty even amidst darkness

• Hmm

Have you ever tought that maybe A.V. needs to pay the food she puts into her mouth so she can keep doing such awesome art?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Mar 2009, 20:11
    I, for one, loved Les Fleurs du Mal. Won't you guys just let Anna unwind after so many years of misery? Of course I love everything she's done, but I totally understand why she'd want to make an album like Les Fleurs. She just needed to, you know, let her hair down and be funny. In her interviews it seems like she's always had a sharp sense of humor, but she's never really expressed it as much as she has now.

Plus, there still is sadness. Just look at "In der Palastra", "Bitter Sweet", and "The Virgin Queen".

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.