Strawberry Switchblade, Vicious Pink, Secession... The Holy Triad

• Strawberry Switchblade, Vicious Pink, Secession... The Holy Triad

Strawberry Switchblade, Vicious Pink & Secession were for me like the *Holy Triad* of the music that entranced me throughout the majority of my horrible horrible teen years… and now at age 37, I still find myself drawn to them and others of that era more so than what today’s musical offerings have at hand.

The general consensus is that that music was new to everyone at that time, which helped to create a Buzz or an Excitement about it in general. While I do agree with that statement, I have to say that it was only new to the ill-informed. Because the bands of that era or that musical movement indeed had their influences and their musical hero’s of sorts… nothing is ever really new. Also, I feel that more heart and soul went into music back then as it was more about the art, than it was about the status or money as it is with a lot of today’s bands.

Who was in your Holy Triad?

Some people never go crazy, what truly horrible lives they must live… Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink ~Charles Bukowski
  • well i went to high school in the 90s, but tended to listen to the cure, siouxsie and joy division mostly...80s stuff. i liked some 90s stuff too, but never as much as them. the cure was like, what got me through everything. haha. i got into ride too, i guess they were more current. and jane's addiction. but i still missed out on all of them.

• Those are all great bands… I was listening to the Cure in middle school when most of my friends were into The Fat Boys and Whodini. I didn’t get into Siouxsie until maybe ‘85 or ‘86. I DJ at a local nightclub here in West Palm and a few friends and I just held Siousxsie Tribute

It was great fun and brought out a lot of people…

As far as Joy Division goes, I actually got into New Order first in a big way. Once My obsession with them started to wear off, I started familiarizing myself with Joy Division. I now find the both of them to be necessities.

Some people never go crazy, what truly horrible lives they must live… Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink ~Charles Bukowski
  • On a side note, as far as the 90’s are concerned… I spent a good portion of the early 90’s obsessed with the Legendary Pink Dot’s… to such a degree that I awoke one day in '95 or '96 and felt stuck. Realizing that for the last three or four years I hadn’t really listened to anything but LPD, and had spent god knows how much of my spare money on their releases. That day I sold my entire LPD collection. CD’s, Albums, Singles, Video’s, etc… you name it, it was gone. It was what I imagined coming off of heroin might feel like. It wasn’t until 2003 that I felt like I could listen to them again, I started by buying just my few favorite albums, Any Day Now, Malachai, Shadow Weaver, The Lovers, Pink Box, Brighter Now, etc… I now feel as though I can listen to them and then move on to something else without suffering the addiction.

• wow and LPD have a LOT of albums! i got into them in college...96-98, somewhere in there. that's when i started getting into more experimental stuff i guess.

that siouxsie flyer is so cool! sounds like great fun. yah i probably heard new order first, but i don't know if it really stuck. joy division did though. god, the mish-mash of stuff i listened to in jr. high would make you laugh :P

• Yeah, the Siouxsie Tribute was a lot of fun… we’ve got a Nitzer Ebb Tribute coming up next month, that should be a Blast too.

I asked around and a lot of my friends came to New Order first as well, I think it’s maybe an american thing as they were distributed a lot more widely and more readily accessible to us here in the states… Either way, who I am is certainly altered for the better from coming to know the music of both Joy Division and New Order.

I hosted the South Florida premiere of Control back in December at a Theater I was managing at that time. It was a co-promotion between me and RSC on what we called "A Day of Joy" .. What a brilliant film…

Here’s a few flyers from that:

• vodkaed said...
    • User
    • 16 Oct 2008, 23:27
    i guess my *holy triad* during my high school years (86-90) were soft cell, legendary pink dots and depeche mode.

i had always been a fan of soft cell since "tainted love" and stayed faithful to them to the end. i remember when i first bought "this last night in sodom" (when i was in jr high) i dismissed it but a year or two later (when the hormones hit me) i was in love with it and understood it. it really answered alot of things for me at the awkward stage in life and to this day it's my all time favorite album.

i too was a BIG LPD fan but mostly in the eighties. i remember i was shopping for records in SF with my friend who was a couple of years older than me and she knew that i liked skinny puppy so she suggested LPD's "island of jewels" to me. i bought it and absolutely loved it! it was grand yet minimal, experimental yet pop, aural yet visual. so many contradiction all in just one song that it was amazing. i remember me and friend ended up sneaking in to a 21+ club to see edward ka-spel live and it was totally worth it.

depeche mode are masters of synthpop. each song has the right amount of melancholy and pop. so many bands after them try and mimic their sound but nothing really compares to them. each of their albums from the 80's i can listen to from start to end and enjoy each song.

but one thing about me is that i'm constantly looking out for new and interesting bands so even though those were my *holy triad* i also listened to alot of other stuff. other high points in the 80's for me - throbbing gristle and all the splinter bands from them (which are MANY), underground cassette culture, 4AD, princess tinymeat/virgin prunes and... i have to admit it since i have this really weird pop streak in me (essentially strawberry switchblade IS pure pop) I LOVED stacey q! (i am gay after all...)

swimming in vodka-----ed
  • Hey vodka.ed,

Great to see you here… Welcome aboard!

It’s really coincidental you listing Soft Cell as part of your *holy triad* and me listing Vicious Pink, who were originally Vicious Pink Phenomenon, otherwise known as the backing vocalists for Soft Cell. They dropped the ‘Phenomenon’ from their name shortly after splitting from Soft Cell.

As far as Depeche Mode is concerned, I’ve always believed that there were possibly other-wordly powers at play to give them the artistic output needed to create a rather large list of what I consider to be almost perfect albums…

- A Broken Frame
    - Black Celebration
    - Construction Time Again
    - Music for the Masses
    - Speak and Spell
    - Some Great Reward
    etc.. etc… etc…

The list just goes on and on… yeah, some of their later work doesn’t quite live up to their previously set standards, but I always chalked that up to the fact that maybe some of the black magic they inherited from selling their souls to the devil back in the early eighties must have wore off by now ;-)

I like your list of other 80’s high points… I also listened to an enormous amount of other music in addition to my *holy triad* back then and even more so now. Some other 80’s high points for me were: Cabaret Voltaire, New Order, Bauhaus, Virgin Prunes, Kraftwerk, Front 242, Art of Noise, Yello, Swans, Lene Lovich, Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil (really anything on 4AD), Skinny Puppy, Neon Judgement… it’s impossible to list them all. Needless to say it’s them who really shaped my mind to make me who I am today.

Also, I always thought Stacey Q deserved more than her ‘One Hit Wonder Status’ and Yes, Strawberry Switchblade is absolutely the essence of Pop, some tracks more so than others, but definitely for the most part.

~Jeffrey

• vodkaed said...
    • User
    • 18 Oct 2008, 02:07
    actually it's not THAT coincidental about soft cell being mentioned in this group. after all, dave ball (of soft cell and producer of vicious pink phenomena's first few singles) went on to work with rose as part of ornamental for their first 12" "no pain." ;-)

DM's downfall in the 90's was their need to put guitar in their music to play stadium synth rock.

and ditto with your cool additional list of groups from the 80's. neon judgement! i loved quite a few of those belgian bands like front 242 & poesie noire. play it again sam! did you at all get into the new beat stuff? i absolutely LOVE it - move your ass and feel the beat!

swimming in vodka-----ed
  • Yeah that’s right… I keep forgetting that Dave Ball was musically a part of the No Pain EP, I actually like Le Sacré d'Hiver off of that EP better than the title track. But the Crystal Nights EP (an updated version of Rose’s solo release Crystal Days) will forever be my favorite Ornamental release, even if it doesn’t feature Einar Örn (of The Sugarcubes) like the No Pain EP does.

Play it again Sam was what it was all about for awhile… and Yes, I very much got into the New Beat stuff in a big way! There was a good period of time where I was buying just about anything I could find released on Antler / Subway, Techno Drome International, New Zone, etc…

I remember when Antler / Subway introduced a slightly more aggressive new breed of New Beat calling it Aggrepo. I'm guessing it stood for Aggressive-Pop. Never sure if that stuck or not, it sure didn’t in the states… but then what does.

I’ve still got some of their handwritten mail-order receipts and inserts.

Ah, the good ol’ days of buying music based on label… other than a few distinct labels like Mille Plateaux, 12k, Tino Corp., etc… things haven’t really been that way for a long time.

• vodkaed said...
    • User
    • 18 Oct 2008, 17:11
    i loved "no pain" the first time i heard and saw the video. i saw it on SNUB TV on night flight. i didn't know who ornamental was but when i saw rose with her big black crimped hair and black & white striped leggings i knew i was going to love it. i have that recorded somewhere on a BETA videotape no less! (and yes, my beta VCR still works :-) i really need to learn how to digitize my videotapes to DVD...

and i totally remember buying an album solely on the fact it was on a good label. 4AD, mute, nettwerk, play it again sam/antler/subway... what was nice about a label like 4AD was each artist pretty much had their own sound yet all the artists had a similar feel. as you pointed out a lot of techno labels still keep that tradition along with most goth/industrial/synthpop labels.

and yes aggrepo. nice. i wasn't too much of a fan of skizzo tho...

heh, too bad we didn't go to high school together. we would have been musical best friends! i was lumped into the whole "new wave" crew (which was about 10 of us) but as i started getting into more experimental stuff not too many of my friends followed with. granted - it may be hard pressed to find that many people who'd listen to a drone for an hour and love it back in the 80's (or even now to tell ya the truth).

swimming in vodka-----ed
  • vodkaed said:
    what was nice about a label like 4AD was each artist pretty much had their own sound yet all the artists had a similar feel. as you pointed out a lot of techno labels still keep that tradition along with most goth/industrial/synthpop labels.

granted - it may be hard pressed to find that many people who'd listen to a drone for an hour and love it back in the 80's (or even now to tell ya the truth).

I completely concur…

Two major labels I used to greatly depend on for that exact same point (PIAS & NETTWERK) have now vastly expanded their roster to include a lot of what I call filler.

I guess the times demand that labels look for sales rather than content nowadays.

I haven’t really kept up with 4AD, but from perusing their website it looks like they’ve added a few bands I haven’t heard yet, so I’m unsure how they stand these days.

I too was lumped into the “New Wave” crowd as well, but I never looked the part. Which I feel necessary to point out as that’s exactly what separated me from them. Most that I knew as part of the New Wave crowd looked the part, but were fairly close minded to any music that didn’t fit the bill. They were there for/or to make a fashion statement, or more prevalently for attention.

Don’t get me wrong, there were a few friends I made who really were open to new music, some of them looked the part, but most didn’t.

The New Wave crew were given a page in one of my High School Yearbooks (1986) … They talked about fashion, they talked about “standing apart” and “being different”, just about every cliché you can think of came up. But when it came time to talk about music, the point was made that “our music is far from the norm and wouldn’t be understood by most people”, then they mentioned the bands (THE ONLY TWO BANDS THEY MENTIONED) - The B-52’s & The Violent Femmes!

Don’t get me wrong, I love both those bands… but they were by no means the epitome of alternative music back then.

So yeah, I’ll gladly look like Joe Shmoe from around the corner while listening to “an hour long drone” any day. :-)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.