Music references in games!

• Music references in games!

It's something to talk about...

Silent Hill 1, in Midwich elementary, there is a list of teachers;

K. Gordon
    L. Ronaldo
    T. Moore

It's most of Sonic Youth for some reason!

Here's a good one; World of Goo, on the Ode to the Bridge Builder level, there's a sign from Mom, saying;

"Hello, this is MOM.'

'Are you there?'

'Are you coming home?"

Which is totally from Laurie Anderson's song O, Superman.

Any others?

• yhancik said...
    • User
    • 30 Dec 2008, 14:10
    The Blue Suede Shoes in Oblivion ?

• The Ultima games had a few references to Rush, if I remember. As if those games needed to be any more geeky. Like the book The Trio in Ultima VII by Leepeartson, a book of music "compiled from the music of three master bards, this full volume contains a collection of songs for a variety of stringed and percussion instruments."

The only other reference I can think of right now is not music-related but is awesome anyway. And that's the character Knox Harrington in Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - the name of the visual conceptual artist in the Big Lebowski.

• Earthbound had a number of references to The Beatles, such as the yellow submarine

• Seniath said...
    • User
    • 31 Dec 2008, 17:19
    yhancik, I see your shoes and raise you http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30894 (check the yellow text).

Though, arguably, WoW can't be counted as there are so many pop culture references in that game that it'd probably be unfair. That and "no one" likes it, natch...

look at you, hacker
    • Raawrr said...
    • User
    • 4 Jan 2009, 18:26
    Ministry posters in Vampire the Masquarade:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nuyan/2653724698/

• Well, Ministry were playing in several places in Vampire...

*click*
    • FlintGF said...
    • User
    • 20 Jan 2009, 21:12
    Yeah, WoW's got tons and tons of music references (Depeche Mode songs as quest names and so forth), but my favourite one's the Duskwood town councilmen pair of Berrybuck and Millstipe.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.