Friday Night Rock Show Memories

• Friday Night Rock Show Memories

What are your most memorable moments from your old Friday Night Rock Show Tapes???

For me it was listening to a W.A.S.P. concert and Blackie Lawless slagging off hot indie bands in europe.

The Rock God said "Men They Couldnt Hang!, They havnt been round my house!"

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Aug 2009, 13:31
    That's a great show! Actually the live set with WASP was broadcasted twice, 28th Nov 1986 and 3rd July 1987.

Personally I can't think of a special show right now, they were all good i guess, but what strikes me is the mid 80's shows, the feel and mood, the program really was a whole that fitted together. And so many great bands he played besides the most well known. Hexx, Man, Rio, Charger, Carnivore, Elixir, just to mention a few.

• For me it was the first time Tommy played Scorpions 'Another Piece Of Meat' ; )

• Memories for me include:
    A track Tommy played by Kooga called "Gabrielle". This week, I finally found another recording of it.
    "Still Loving You" by the Scorpions. Initially, I hated this track. After Tommy playing it so often when it was released, I grew to like it. Now, I think it's a great track.

I remember him talking about how during that Friday afternoon he'd been out playing and relaxing in the garden with his kids and one of them soaked him with a hosepipe or bucket of water or similar.

I think I've still got a tape of the run up to the "Return to the Knebworth Fair" where Deep Purple appeared on stage for the first time after they reformed and recorded Perfect Strangers. I wasn't really a big DP fan until that stage but they grew on me as well.

The FRS was responsible for most of my rock and heavy metal education, from Iron Maiden, thru Def Leppard and Queen and Journey (more "Into the Music" than FRS I guess?) and so on.

I'm still curious as to some of the music that Tommy used as backing tracks on the show. I know the theme tune was the Dixie Dregs and that Theme One by Van Der Graff Generator were used, but there was another piece that was almost like a steel guitar that I still have no idea who it was. any ideas anyone?

• FRS backing music tracks

One of the backing tracks he used was "The Stumble" by John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers (Peter Green on guitar) from the album "A Hard Road"... it was used pretty much in each show. There are a clutch of others which I would like to track down myself, but from only a few instrumental snatches its a tad hard y'know! lol!

• Friday Rock Show Memories...

One of the best shows I recall was in the early years... August 1979. He opened the show with Motorhead's "Overkill", then The Scorpions
    "Lovedrive", followed by Vangelis's "Pulstar". Excellent way to start a show, which later included 3 1960's sessions from the Rolling Stones (9 tracks in all) and closed with the full 23 minutes of Pink Floyd's "Echoes"! Awesome!

I always loved the way he would play the sets that The Friday Rock Show covered at Reading and later at Donnington... got to hear some great stuff from Molly Hatchet, Steve Hackett, The Scorpions, The Climax Blues band, Stevie Ray Vaughan and more... always recorded and produced well by Tony Wilson. Those were the days.

Even when things didn't go to plan Tommy shone through... he tried to play a badly pressed copy of Jefferson Starship's "Jane" one time and had to stop... apply lots of weights and such to the turntable and eventually got it to work. A Rock God Indeed!

A huge slice of my record collection would not exist as it was through hearing stuff on the FRS that I would go out and buy new material. Tommy was always able to give fans who wrote in info on music as he had a great background knowledge... and remember that was before the days of computers in the studio, the internet and Google at your fingertips for information. Tommy carried it in his head! We tend to forget that nowadays.

Tonight I will raise a glass of the cold stuff to the rock god! RIP big guy!

Rock on Tommy!

• Re: FRS backing tracks

I have just read that a couple more tracks that Tommy Vance used were Santana's, "Open Invitation" (from Inner Secrets) and George Harrison's "Red Lady Too" (from Wonderwall Music)... I haven't been able to recall the Santana one (it was said that Tony Wilson re-edited the guitar parts to provide a longer backing piece!) and I don't have access to a copy of the Harrison track to verify that one! Perhaps check them out if you can. Hope that was hepful.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Jan 2010, 00:31

Iron Maiden reunion

Not exactly a FRS memory, but it was great when Tommy broadcasted the Iron Maiden reunion in 1999 via a 32 Kbps Real Player stream on the Rock Radio Network. Those were the early days of streaming :-)

Edited by a deleted user on 10 Feb 2010, 22:23
  • TV and me

Tommy Vance and the FRS had a hugh impact on my musical tastes during my early teens. Furst started listening to the show in early 1979 and was a regular listener until the mid 80s. Even we i was old enough to go to the pub on a Friday night, i'd train my mother to tape the show for me.

I have a couple of Tommy Vance post on my Blog http://pa035.blogspot.com/
    feell free to leave comments :)

• Re: FRS backing music tracks

Another piece that was used regularly on the Friday Rock Show was “Cant Stand your Funk” by the Mahavishnu Orchestra from the album Visions of the Emerald Beyond. You can download it from ITunes.

Braveshell said:
    One of the backing tracks he used was "The Stumble" by John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers (Peter Green on guitar) from the album "A Hard Road"... it was used pretty much in each show. There are a clutch of others which I would like to track down myself, but from only a few instrumental snatches its a tad hard y'know! lol!

• Memories

I still have fond memories of the show in the early eighties - getting exposed to Iron Maiden before the first abum had been released - not being able to decipher track names - hadn't been able to figure 'Prowler' out - until I had the album in my hands I thought the track was called 'Foul Up'. Got introduced to so many bands, particurlarly NWOBHM.

This man changed my life!

Life's too short to take it seriously
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.