Instruction Manual For Life + Pale Blue Dot

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Mar 2009, 17:46

Instruction Manual For Life + Pale Blue Dot

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Apr 2009, 23:44
    "Instruction Manual For Life" is interesting, except that either the analogy is insufficient or atheists are not represented (because at the end there's no one shown sans cupboard). The analogy is poor, because religious belief systems contain not only statements about the world, but normative statements, in other words prescriptions for how to live. Because the majority of religious beliefs are concerned with how to live (and more importantly what one ought to do when others won't do what they ought to do) religions are bound to be irreconcilable and incompatible with each other. Otherwise there are a lot of junk papers filed away in those cupboard drawers that need to be thrown away. What I'm saying is, belief systems cannot be likened to things as innocuous as filing cabinets. A belief system cannot be contained to its owner's personal sphere because of all the normative statements it houses.

It smacks of moral relativism, which I can't subscribe to at all . . . because it's contradictory in nature. Can I tolerate those who won't tolerate others? Why should I tolerate? According to relativism there isn't any reason to tolerate people unless it's already a tenet of the culture within which you live. Relativism doesn't make any sense, doesn't work. It refutes itself.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Apr 2009, 09:36
    Interesting idea, but not simple for understanding

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Apr 2009, 19:48
    Do you mean the videos or my response? Because if my response is confusing I'll be glad to clarify what I'm saying. I'll admit that my sentences get long winded.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.