• jeej said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2006, 08:05

Welcome!

Tired of all the bullshit journal entries too?

Good to have you on board.

Felt this would be a good place to exchange links to proper journal entries, as it seems there is no avoiding the quizzes and alphabetical lists people persist to post on a daily basis.

I think last.fm should have a box you can tick upon creating a journal entry to state that what you are posting is or isnt a quiz/list. Then we as users could choose to ignore them.

Until then, I guess this new group will do!

Cheers

Check out my music blog: >>jus' like music
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2006, 08:31
    I guess reviews of cds and recommending and introducing artists is actually a "real journal", or?!?

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2006, 08:38
    Totally mate. To be honest, anything that isn't a quiz or list would be considered a real journal!

But, yeah, reviews, reports, thoughts, musings, news, it's all good.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2006, 11:21
    I checked, your are truly the first who opens a group about that matter. And I thought it was already covered by one or two groups.

I agree that those A-Z lists and the games are pretty annoying. I could stand it if a user just has it on his profil page. But most of those get spread around groups.

I am a bit unsure. I guess what a properl-Journal entry is differs from beeing to beeing.

Just hope that it won't become a journal-ellitist group.

@jeej

I approved your journal in Born 1983. It's just that your journal has many artists connections. And you don't really talk about those artists. Ain't that a litle bit of the opposite you wish to accomplish with this group.

Ok let me ask me otherwise. Do you think that incoherent artist connections in journals are ok ? (just to gain attention ?)

that's all at the moment...

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2006, 11:36
    Hi Michael

The masses of artists listed was a sort of ironic joke at the people making shitty journal entries, but I guess will also get the attention of a lot of people too!

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned any journal entry that isn't a quiz or a list of artists, is proper enough for me!

• thanks!

I don't think it needs to be "elitist" or anything, I mean, we all seem like reasonable people who are open to discussion (hence why we like ACTUAL journal posts and not just list after list after list). So, my feeling on it is as long as people try to adhere to our goal of avoiding random track listings and commentaries on your favorite lyrics from each band or other impersonal "list" type entries, all else is welcome. If you write a good review and, it happens to reference quite a few bands that's fine. I guess the point is that none of us care to read or write posts that are impersonal, time killing filler, so just speak your mind without following the herd!

Thanks for starting the group! I'm gonna read everybody's journals now.

"I'm the dog that ate your birthday cake"
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2006, 17:35
    The mass connections to unrelated artists is kind of necessary -- otherwise, how would anybody find out about this group?

Speaking of, there should some more connections in that one.

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2006, 22:25
    I just went for last week's most popular artists and then a load of artists that are high up in my charts. Feel free to spread the word of the group yourselves though. :-)

• whee!

Of course, by inspiring this group, I'm now under pressure to write something intelligent about my music.

At least I won't post what ten artists are at the top of my list! I think I'll figure something new and exciting to write about Funeral or Pet Sounds.

Cause I'll be able to do that.

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 22 Jul 2006, 03:20
    Yeah, after creating the group I figured that perhaps I should actually post some decent journal entries myself! But still, at least we're not just posting lists of names for no real reason!

• alrights jeej = I'm with ya - greetings from Brooklyn - looking forward to sharing - djp

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 22 Jul 2006, 22:32
    Welcome. :-)

• 15 MEMBERS ALREADY! I think we're on to something, kids!

"I'm the dog that ate your birthday cake"
    • jeej said...
    • User
    • 24 Jul 2006, 23:03
    Ha ha, I hope so.

• Thank God I found this group. There's nothing more annoying than having to open survey after survey just to find something worth reading.

Here's a survey I came up with: Survey to End All Surveys... Hopefully. It didn't really catch on.

• Lists aren't a bad thing if...

List journal entries aren't necessarily a bad thing if the writer gives an explanation or summary of the items in the list.

If the list actually develops a good dialog between users via comments than I feel the entry is not all bad either.

For instance, many of my journal entries contain lists, but I actually write why a certain thing has a certain affect me.
    Example: Some Music that Made Me Me.

And, an example of a list journal creating a dialog: Best/Favorite Post-Rock and Math Rock Drummers.

List journals that don't explain "why" are usless.

_____

Btw, I'm Brad, and it's nice to meet you all.

• Umm... I'm joining you because I seem to be on a similar track as you guys. I hope I'm not in the wrong group, 'cos I don't write that much about music, but I do write coherent and "non-list" entries.

I've been browsing some of your journals and I think I might fit in. Let's see. Anyway, hi, and thanks for the brilliant initiative.

O.o

bite me! Meoow!
  • ...laaaame.

I thought my entry/experiment was at least somewhat original. I really am carrying it out. Apparently not "real" enough for you guys though. =P

No hard feelings. It was a little bit fluff, I'll admit. But I'm going to do it. You guys can check my charts.

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 27 Aug 2006, 10:17
    Sorry mate. It was still a list. It would have been different if you had gone on to detail why those were your selections though.

• I would say that the actual list wasn't the point of the entry... but it is no problem. I shall come back with a much more content-full journal sooner or later!

• IanAR said...
    • Subscriber
    • 1 Sep 2006, 12:21

List-Rich Content

jeej said:
    It was still a list. It would have been different if you had gone on to detail why those were your selections though.

I've made plenty of journals which're list-heavy and they're all real journal entries!

However, they're not editorial journal entries - Is that what's really meant here? - Ian

• Well, they don't have to be Paul Banks entries (I'm reading his journals thanks to your post talking about our group - impressive stuff!) but I think you should put your heart and soul into what you're writing. At least a bit of such. We mainly try to avoid "these are my top 10 favorite bands and THIS is my favorite song by each of them!!" lists, which really takes little effort whatsoever.

Jeej, any thoughts?

• IanAR said...
    • Subscriber
    • 2 Sep 2006, 08:47

Lists're Lovable!

Chamberk said:
    I think you should put your heart and soul into what you're writing. At least a bit of such. We mainly try to avoid "these are my top 10 favorite bands and THIS is my favorite song by each of them!!" lists, which really takes little effort whatsoever.

I often journal dry technical music news, sometimes write with heart'n'soul included and sometimes document my radio stations (that I've created with heart'n'soul).

These're all real journal entries, that deliver value to the reader, on spades. However, the former'n'later of these types're often list-rich, e.g. see 24h Electric Dreams Club Party, it's 95% list.

IMO, we need some better terminology, for our shared definition of what's abhorrent and spammy!

Also, if the groups committed to the discouragement of A-Z'n'Survey-type journals, I think, Stop the Alphabet Journals! membership should be a prerequisite of membership here (as for Good Listener). - Ian

• I agree, lists can be good journal entries, it's just that they very rarely are. Usually, people creative enough to want to write a proper journal can come up with their own ideas. As an experiment I've written a journal using one of the most hackneyed lists imaginable.

IanAR said:
    However, they're not editorial journal entries - Is that what's really meant here? - Ian

By 'editorial journal entries' do you mean one's expressing an opinion? Because that's the point of journal entries as far as I can see. I couldn't compete with the pros when it comes to music news.

• jeej said...
    • User
    • 2 Sep 2006, 12:08
    I think the point here is that a list of names is rarely useful to anyone. If I make a journal entry that says "My top 10 hip-hop artists", a few people might read the list with some vague nods of recognition, but generally speaking it's not exactly exciting content. However, if I made a list of my top 10 hip-hop artists and then went into some detail about why I had chosen each, then that suddenly becomes a tad more interesting and worth while.

Just my thoughts.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.