Current favorites/dislikes in country music

• Current favorites/dislikes in country music

Right now...

I'm Digging:
    -Everything that's Texas Country

I'm not digging:
    -Cowboy Troy (Nothing against the guy personally, but I am not ready for a mix of rap and country)
    -Garth Brooks
    -Err basically everything else coming out of nashville right now.

How 'bout you?

• In the REAL Country mix, my tops of late are:

Johnny Cash
    Audrey Auld nee Audrey Auld Mezera and Bill Chambers--Aussies with a real appreciation the good stuff.
    Bobby Flores
    Alison Krauss
    Hank Thompson
    Hank Williams, new Hank III in the mail
    Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens--Real Country, or Real Bakersfield?

and out of Colorado:
    Halden Wofford & The Hi-Beams
    Dalhart Imperials
    Buckskin Stallion

-jc

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana
    Big City
  • Not diggin

Oh, yea, I'm not feeling REAL Country love for the pop stars polluting the stage and spirit of the Grand Ole Opry, such as:
    * new Garth Brooks
    * Shania Twain
    * Tim McGraw
    * Faith Hill
    * Rascal Flatts
    * Most anything on "Country Radio"

How far have we fallen? Bon Jovi on the Country Singles charts? Bob Wills must be doing the Osage Stomp in his grave...

Big City
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Jul 2006, 05:47
    "Country" I Hate!:

Big & Rich
    Keith Urban
    Kenny Chesney
    Gretchen Wilson
    Tim McGraw
    Faith Hill
    alot more...mainly all of the crap on TV and the radio.

Country I Love!:

David Allan Coe
    Merle Haggard
    Charlie Daniels
    Kris Kristofferson
    Hank Williams Jr.
    Chris Ledoux
    Willie Nelson
    Johnny Cash
    Johnny Paycheck
    Waylon Jennings

• rascal flatts makes me angry. so does keith urban.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Jul 2006, 05:28
    • rcadden said...
    • User
    • 1 Oct 2006, 20:08
    I definitely despise Rascal Flatts. But Keith Urban I like. Most of his songs are good driving songs. I like Pat's first few albums. Wave On Wave was borderline, and the new one BLOWS. Big George Strait fan, Jerry Jeff Walker, Robert Earl Keen, Gary P Nunn...hmm....

• Current favorites: (by current, we mean still alive, recording, and relatively 'new,' correct?)

Hank III
    Those Poor Bastards
    Wayne 'The Train' Hancock
    Joey Allcorn

Dislikes:

Anything I see on CMT or hear on the radio. As far as national recognition goes, real country is a dead artform.

• I see that KZLA (los angeles) gave up on the Country format for hip hop? So the 2 largest media markets in the US--New York and L.A.--have no FM country radio.

And Nashvegas Music Row thinks there's nothing wrong with the pop product they're pushing???

Big City
    • pahern said...
    • User
    • 7 Dec 2006, 18:22
    Country I love:
    Pat Green -- Dancehall Dreamer was GREAT, the newer stuff is TERRIBLE

Ryan Adams - Regardless of his other pop-type stuff, Jacksonville City Lights is a GREAT pure raw honky-tonkin' country album.

Mary Gauthier
    Lucinda Williams
    Guy Clark
    Lyle Lovett
    Gillian Welch
    Older Steve Earle

'Country' groups that my Dad seems to love that I can't STAND:
    Lonestar
    Montgomery Gentry
    Little Bigtown
    Diamond Rio
    Sugarland

I said to Hank Williams: how lonely does it get?
    Hank Williams hasn't answered yet
    But I hear him coughing all night long
    A hundred floors above me
    In the Tower of Song
    • Poppy20 said...
    • User
    • 30 Jan 2007, 22:55
    Country I like at the moment:
    Charley Pride
    Waylon Jennings
    Buck Owens
    Kris Kristofferson
    Don Williams
    Charlie Walker

Country I detest:
    Sugarland
    Martina McBride *shudders*
    Keith Urban
    Cowboy Troy (although excellent for comedy value)

• pahern said:
    Country I love:
    Pat Green -- Dancehall Dreamer was GREAT, the newer stuff is TERRIBLE

Ryan Adams - Regardless of his other pop-type stuff, Jacksonville City Lights is a GREAT pure raw honky-tonkin' country album.

Mary Gauthier
    Lucinda Williams
    Guy Clark
    Lyle Lovett
    Gillian Welch
    Older Steve Earle

Excellent stuff!

My favorites right now:

The Mavericks: Everything except their final album

Alison Krauss & Union Station: Their bluegrass, their country, whatever it's heavenly.

Classics: Dwight Yokam, Asleep At The Wheel, Shelby Lynne, Rodney Crowell, Radney Foster, Patty Loveless, Marty Stuart, Don Williams, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, New Grass Revival, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Glen Campbell, Chet Atkins, Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Ray Price, Hank Williams, and many many more.

Contemporary Radio Stuff I don't mind:

Brad Paisley
    Joe Nichols
    Josh Turner
    The Wreckers
    Pat Green
    Jo Dee Messina
    Dierks Bentley
    Gary Allan
    Eric Heatherly
    A few more I can't think of...

www.head-fi.org - Sorry about your wallet
    www.audiokarma.org
    • jbembe said...
    • User
    • 5 Apr 2007, 03:39
    pahern said:

Lucinda Williams
    Guy Clark
    Lyle Lovett
    Older Steve Earle

Now that just about hits exactly what I'm into. The only Ryan Adams I have is cold roses and jacksonville city nights (which I find quite good and makes me want to get into more of his stuff.) I just did a "Complete My Album" on iTunes to get a Guy Clark essential album so I'm looking forward to getting into that. Lyle is amazing and Lucinda is absolutely brilliant.

I can say that the only artist coming out of nashville that I can tolerate is Brad Paisely's Mud on the Tires album. Haven't gotten any of his other stuff. Randy Travis has a decent song or two. And I should say that O Brother Where Art thou got popular and was very good, but not precisely country. Other than that, I don't know where the exceptional country is at anymore. The others don't even deserve effort typing their pathetic names.

• Iris DeMent
    Gillain Welch
    Lucinda Williams
    Johnny Cash (Duh)
    Roscoe Holcomb
    And loads of Sacred Harp stuff.

Yeah, I have to thank my sisters for finally making me understand that there is a giant world of good country to be explored.

Willie Nelson
    George Jones
    Carrie Underwood
    Kellie Pickler
    Miranda Lambert

Dislikes :
    Rascal Flatts
    Keith Urban
    Jason Aldean
    Tim McGraw

I suppose that Keith Urban's music isn't that bad, but it just isn't Country.

For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome. (Jeremiah 29:11 AMP)
    • pahern said...
    • User
    • 6 Jun 2007, 18:41
    I've just really started listening to Hank III lately and really like him. For some reason, I was very hesitant to give him a shot, but I really like it. Sounds a lot like his grandaddy (perhaps without the songwriting ability, but who can blame him). He has some amazing musicians playing with him as well.

I said to Hank Williams: how lonely does it get?
    Hank Williams hasn't answered yet
    But I hear him coughing all night long
    A hundred floors above me
    In the Tower of Song
  • I've been listing to alot of Fiddlin' John Carson over the past couple of weeks and am really getting into it, I've got four of his albums they're brilliant. I've also been listening to a fair bit of The Stripling Brothers which have some pretty good fiddle ballads.

• i love the true country, in my opinion the 3 "Hanks", Haggard, Jennings, Kristofferson, Nelson, Cash, Coe, Owens and so on...
    and THE HIGHWAYMEN is one of the best all-stars band I ever heard, four genius combined forces!
    i dislike the new Nashville stuff.

• REAL Country that I'm loving right now:

The Derailers
    Jim Lauderdale
    Chris Knight
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Marty Stuart
    Rodney Crowell

Stuff I'm NOT loving:

Basically anything that mainstream country radio plays.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Nov 2007, 04:17
    Dolly Parton
    Waylon Jennings
    Johnny Horton
    Hank Williams Sr.
    Merle Haggard

Dislikes:

Carrie Underwood
    Keith Urban
    Tim McGraw

• Ortid said...
    • User
    • 1 Jan 2008, 06:22
    Liking..

Johnny Cash
    Willie Nelson
    Waylon Jennings
    Kris Kristofferson
    Hank Williams Sr/Jr
    Marty Robbins
    David Allan Coe

Disliking..

Mainstream stuff.

• Hank Williams, Jr. from the beginning until Family Tradition (1979) and a few stuff from the 80's.His voice amazed me so much I decided to buy a turntable and started to collect his MGM recordings on vinyls to enjoy it on the best sound quality I can.Will be all-time favourite.

I dig the whole Williams family from Sr. to III.I see fantasy in Waylon's music and Stonewall Jackson has a few respectable records.I turn away from Johnny Cash nowadays.

• Re: Current favorites/dislikes in country music

BrotherSol said:
    Right now...

I'm Digging:
    -Everything that's Texas Country

Woohoo! Outlaw country is the best! The Highwaymen were the first to give a big eff-you to Nashville...Waylon, Willie, and Merle once said that they could play a weekend a month in Austin, Dallas, El Paso, and Houston, and still have more money than they could ever need. Amazing stuff...I'm currently in Austin, and recently took a moment to visit the real-life Luchenbach. Truly an honor.

- The Ladies (Loretta, Dolly, Patty)
    - The Highwaymen (Merle, Waylon, Willie, David Allan Coe)
    - Doom country (Jay Munly, Reverend Glasseye, Hasil Adkins)
    - Woody Guthrie, bless his heart

Dislikes:

-The appropriation of Johnny Cash's name and image by lousy hipsters who know nothing about country, or music in general.

"HURT" IS NOT A JOHNNY CASH SONG!

• The one and only for today country music is Dale Watson, and other (still kicking) Merle Haggard, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Ray Price, Charlie Pride, Dwight Yoakam, Alan Jackson...

• Liking:
    Charlie Feathers
    Yeah that twitchy weirdo Tarantino likes him too, but don't let that scare you off, he's the real deal.

Billy Joe Shaver
    Everybody's Brother is damn fine.

Solomon Burke
    He's mostly a soul and R&B guy, but he cut a great, great country album: Nashville

Waylon Jennings
    Can't go wrong with Waylon.

Disliking:
    It's pretty obvious that modern country is mostly fallout radiation in song form, so I'm gonna pick on an older guy.
    Kenny Rogers
    He sounds like a cheesy-ass lounge singer who somehow got misclassified as country. Also the Gambler sucked.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.