What's the best punkband nowadays?

• What?

I can't believe nobody has mentioned black flag!!!

• Also, the Transplants are one of the most underrated punk bands of today. Travis is an awesome drummer and Tim Armstrong... well, need I say more.

• agony said...
    • User
    • 14 Aug 2004, 12:47
    tsunami bomb.
    :D

A ..
  • i would say Alkaline Trio or MxPx

• well i would have to say alkaline trio there my favorite punk band .. but not my favorite band

• How can a blatant knock off of The Smiths, who aren't even punk be the best punk band?

• Re:  

Quoth coffinrocker:
    How can a blatant knock off of The Smiths, who aren't even punk be the best punk band?

He's got a point.

• best punk band

crass

always

• That's my favourite punk bands. Rancid, Bad Religion, NoFX, Pennywise, Dropkick Murphys, Anti-Flag, Green Day (The earlies albums), Millencolin... The order of appearance is random. :)

• Anti-flag for keeping to the ideals that punk started on and keeping with it.

And MxPx for taking a plunge into a side of punk that not too many bands have let show, religion.

rub out your eyes, this ship is sinking
  • Im not SkaJihad, im some other dude

BRAND NEW is deffiently my vote b/c they suck =-) they like stealing other band qoutes, chords, and yummy stuff and put it all together to make a good song...man how can you hate what you love....

so basically...Plank eye, dashboard confessionals, audio adrenaline, less then jake, bright eyes and so many other countless bands that were stripped of there style and put together should take the vote -OyDasVey

rub out your eyes, this ship is sinking
  • Adding to this thread almost two months late but what the hell!

What about all the great British bands out there?

No Choice, Annalise, Panic (RIP), Milloy, K-Line, Blocko, Leatherface etc etc.

If I tip my hat to the states I'd list Rhythm Collision and The Pavers as two of my faves.

As far as the whole "what is punk" debate, I believe DIY is a fundamental aspect of Punk - if you're on a major you ain't punk - simple as that. Punk ain't about album sales, but a love of music. Most of the bands I listen to aren't rockstars, in fact most of them have "normal" jobs, and I can't imagine a scene where that is more the case.

Of course, most peoples' ideas of punk begin and end with Good Charlotte.

Listen to Uniform Motion
    • Dawood said...
    • User
    • 1 Oct 2004, 21:17
    Why wouldn't people on majors not love their music?

Bah, this attitude is why I never called myself a punk, even though I like the music. Something good actually CAN get popular, it dosn't happen often, but sometimes it does (The Sex Pistols being the best example).

My favourite punkbands are without a doubt the Toy Dolls, the Real McKenzies, The Vandals, and the Exploited.

Oi! Oi! Oi! The boots go marching in!
  • They love money more. You'd never have a major put out a release that they thought would lose money. This actually happens on independent labels (not all the time, obviously) because of the passion of the people who put records out on the indie scene.

Because majors' aim is to make lots of money they protect their investments by saturating the market, and in doing so prevent a lot of other good bands from being heard.

I don't give a shit about popularity, but I resent major label "punk" bands - because there are many other (and usually) better bands out there that many people will never hear.

I expect you'll disagree, but that's where I'm coming from anyway.

Listen to Uniform Motion
    • Dawood said...
    • User
    • 3 Oct 2004, 13:47
    So making money is a bad thing? If people don't look up other bands than those who happen to make it then that is hardly the bands fault.
    Besides, it dosn't matter anymore, since the internet is taking over the music industry. Any band has as good chance of being downloaded. :-)

Oi! Oi! Oi! The boots go marching in!
    • Guusmo said...
    • User
    • 4 Oct 2004, 11:01
    Bad Religion, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, PennyWise, Rancid, NOFX, Anti-Flag. Those are my favorites :)

• To me Bad Religion will always be the best punkband :)

• daeth said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2004, 08:28
    Most definitly Bad Religion.

-
    • Hobi said...
    • User
    • 9 Oct 2004, 11:25
    Can't say who is best (depends on my mood)

NOFX, Bad Religion, Millencolin, Pennywise are my favourites.

it's my job to keep punk rock elite
    • Hobi said...
    • User
    • 9 Oct 2004, 11:31

it's my job to keep punk rock elite
    Edited by Hobi on 9 Oct 2004, 11:31
    • koffie said...
    • User
    • 9 Oct 2004, 14:22
    These days? I think that would be Dropkick Murphys (spare me your opinion about Mike being better than Al and blablabla). Their new Mandolin/Accordeon/Guitar/Thin Whistle/second Bass player (wew!) Tim Brennan is great.

Second would be Mike McColgan's new band the Street Dogs.

Edited by koffie on 9 Oct 2004, 14:25
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Oct 2004, 23:51

Re:

Quoth taxreturn:
    best punk band

crass

always

im with you on this one.

The 'Pistols only sang about anarchy in the UK, Crass lived it.

• Against Me. - These fuckers got spirit.

This is not here.
    • LachyC said...
    • Subscriber
    • 28 Oct 2004, 13:21
    although punk is a fun type of music most of us start out with as kids and gradually branch out from into the more musically varied genres, i still get a kick out of Bad Religion...

• Agnostic Front!

And I think we also can call Dropkick Murphys punk, ey? sort of.

Sigs are for interesting people!
    Whoa!
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.