Telling the difference

• Ciacchi said...
    • User
    • 21 Dec 2007, 17:17

Telling the difference

Can someone please make me understand once and for all exactly what is the difference between Psychobilly, Gothabilly, Deathrock, Gothic Rock, Horror Punk, Batcave and Deathabilly? I sometimes get mixed up

Dada smells of nothing, nothing, nothing.
    It is like your hopes: nothing.
    Like your paradise: nothing.
    Like your idols: nothing.
    Like your politicians: nothing.
    Like your heroes: nothing.
    Like your artists: nothing.
    Like your religions: nothing.

also: http://odhecaton.blogspot.com/
    • Defunto said...
    • User
    • 25 Dec 2007, 18:55
    psychobilly has nothing to do with those

• Ciacchi said...
    • User
    • 1 Jan 2008, 20:45
    yeah, but exactly what's the difference between Psychobilly and Gothabilly for example?

Dada smells of nothing, nothing, nothing.
    It is like your hopes: nothing.
    Like your paradise: nothing.
    Like your idols: nothing.
    Like your politicians: nothing.
    Like your heroes: nothing.
    Like your artists: nothing.
    Like your religions: nothing.

also: http://odhecaton.blogspot.com/
    • Defunto said...
    • User
    • 17 Jan 2008, 19:54
    i don't believe there is such thing as gothabilly, but if so it's gothic!! psychobilly has nothing to do with gothic.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 May 2008, 17:35
    gothabilly is a mixture between gothic-punk and gothic-rock with a d-bass and has it's roots in the gothic and psychobilly scene. for example the cramps used this term to discribe their style.
    and as defunto already said that psychobilly has got nothing to do with gothic or any gothic influences, that's the difference between psychobilly and gothabilly.

Batcave is just a synonym for the early gothic punk/rock.

Horrorpunk is horrormovie,halloween,b-movie...- themed punkrock and it's normaly non-politic. but it's musical style can't be restricted to just one style or genre. so it has got influences from gothic,psychobilly and deathrock, too.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Jul 2008, 20:25
    there is psychobilly and then a buch of goth sissies that are trying to grow some chest hair by adding the billy.. i would suggest them to leave the psycho stuff alone and start by leaving the make up to the ladies

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Jul 2008, 20:33
    Mordhorst138 said:
    for example the cramps used this term to discribe their style.

and no the cramps never have considered themselves goth anything.. they did go by psychobilly but only because of what some of their fans thought of them as after playing with the meteors. the term psychobilly is newer than the cramps.

the cramps go beyond deffinition and they are much more closely related to punk and 60 garage rock with a lot of rockabilly and blues influence. think the sonics of our time with a perv twist. or just the cramps

• wtf is deathabilly ?! haha
    this shit isnt psychobilly
    only pure psychobilly = meteors and finish
    there are a lot of other bands but there arent pure
    fuck i love their attitude kekeke^^

***What don´t kill me makes me stronger! ***
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Aug 2008, 15:08
    I didn't say that the cramps considered themselves as "goth" but they first used the term "gothabilly" in the 70s.

unfortunately there does no "gothabilly" article exist in the englisch wikipedia, but in the german, where I've got the source of this.

"Gothabilly ist ein Musik- und Modestil, dessen Wurzeln in der Gothic- und der Rockabilly-Subkultur liegen. Der Begriff wurde erstmals in den 1970ern von der US-Band The Cramps verwandt, um ihren eigenen Musikstil zu beschreiben."
    (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothabilly)

translation: gothabilly is a music- and fashionstyle, which has it's roots in the gothic and rockabilly subculture. the term was used the first time in the 1970s by the US- band The Cramps to define their own musicstyle.

edit: but that does not mean, that I also think of them being gothabilly,goth or something that way^^

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Aug 2008, 01:18
    a lot of people have called the cramps Gothabilly but they have never used the term. they did use the term psychobilly a couple of times... they concider themselves their own sound but admit a huge influence from Garage, Rockabilly and punk, according to Slug Magazine (an old US zine). true gothabilly bands don't exist. some people say that the gun club are gothabilly but they don't claim that name and any band that does sucks ass in my book

• dj_doc said...
    • User
    • 12 Apr 2011, 15:47
    Defunto said:
    i don't believe there is such thing as gothabilly, but if so it's gothic!! psychobilly has nothing to do with gothic.

Listening to Sunglasses After Dark - Hell-Hag Shuffle makes me think your believe is just that...

"This is a party, it's not a recording session - a party,everybody drink, everybody eat. Then when l think you're right, then well make it a recording session." -Arnold Maxim, during the recording session of Sreaming J Hawkins "I put a Spell on You"
  • Psychobilly is rock'n'roll brought to the extreme... It is fast and in psychobilly bands there is double bass... Listen to the some psychobilly bands like The Meteors, Nekromantix, Mad Sin, etc. and you'll get it...

I am not gothic stuff expert, but I think, that the main difference is in lyrics and speed... Psychobilly is about B-horror-movies, zombies etc.. In Gothic there is much medieval stuff, vampires etc... and also classical gothic rock is much slower... listen to this: Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead.. It is completely different... there is no similarity with psychobilly....

Horror punk is punk with same theme as psychobilly has (horror movies etc).. The main difference is that in horror punk there is no double bass... Listen to the Misfits...

Deathrock is just rock with death theme... Gothabilly is gothic rock with a little bit of rock'n'roll... Batcave is gothic club in London... And I have never heard about deathabilly...

• Reading all of this has made me hate the world even more. Gonna drink now, maybe come up with yet another music genre.

RIP "Dr. Death"
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.