Recommendations, please!

• cuber3 said...
    • User
    • 2 May 2009, 11:13

Recommendations, please!

In the past few months, I've been listening to 60s and 70s (hard)rock / heavy metal more and more, and psychedelic rock in particular.

My knowledge of the genre isn't that great, and I'm always looking out for new great bands to listen to, so if anyone could recommend a few bands, that'd be nice.

Bands I listen to and like atm:

Led Zeppelin
    Jimi Hendrix / The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    The Doors
    Blue Cheer
    Cream
    Pink Floyd
    Jefferson Airplane
    Witchfinder General
    The Beatles
    The Pretty Things
    The Yardbirds

If anyone could recommend bands similar to the above, thanks a lot!

Thanks in advance :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2009, 06:53
    The Byrds
    George Harrison
    Gram Parsons
    Iron Butterfly
    Small Faces
    Syd Barrett
    Trees
    13th Floor Elevators
    Love
    The Who
    Also a little newer:
    Citay,
    Entrance
    more mass media indie/britpop psychedelia (1990-2009):
    Kula Shaker,
    Verve
    Happy Mondays
    The Brian Jonestown Massacre
    This is what i mostly listen + most of the bands u said. Didn't know Led Zeppelin is psychedelic.
    I seek though recommendations of bands similar to Entrance, Doors, Citay...

• Ok maybe you know them but whatever :O

The Monkees
    The Kinks
    The Animals
    The Pretenders
    Bob Dylan
    (ok and much more)

But the unique bands :

Tiffany Shade
    Superfine Dandelion
    Bohemian Vendetta
    The Unfolding
    Mort Garrison (The Zodiac) <- if u will be drunk and you will turn this CD on, you will travel in space...

PS.

George Harrison <IS FUCKING AWESOME

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Jul 2009, 10:07
    Blind Faith
    The Beau Brummels
    Moby Grape
    John Mayall
    Savoy Brown
    Procol Harum
    13th Floor Elevators (seconded)
    The Allman Brothers
    Quicksilver Messenger Service

not all strictly psychedelic, but all good

• 'Go ask Alice' ... you know what I mean ;]

• How about two related band, one very old and one recent group.

One the stranger side, even for psych, Fifty Foot Hose were way ahead of their time, one of the earliest bands to use live electronics.

Fifty Foot Hose
    Kwisp

• I think that the best starting point to anyone interested in psychedelic rock is the 4-discs compilation "Nuggets". After that, try to listen to the albuns of those bands you enjoyed the most.

• You could listen to:
    Power of Zeus
    Yesterday's Children
    Parish Hall
    Dragonfly
    Morning Dew
    Paper Garden
    The Byrds

• I recently found some bands I had never heard of, like

The Fugs
    Pussy (Their album Pussy Plays is excellent!!!)
    Tinkerbells Fairydust
    and
    July

- all fine psychedelic music, Pussy is my favorite.

• Pussy is great, I like it too (no pun intended). I think I've heard these guys for the first time in the excellent compilation series "Love, Peace and Poetry". This compilation features lots of obscure psychedelic bands, most of them are very very very good.

• Hawkwind, GonG, Ozric Tentacles, Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, The Red Krayola, Kaleidoscope, Morgen, H.P. Lovecraft, Edgard Broughton Band, The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, Steve Hillage, Clearlight Symphony, Bevis Frond,

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Jun 2010, 17:20
    Hi. I'm looking for something similar to Pink Floyd's Saucerful Of Secrets (or Ummagumma, or Atom Heart Mother - the song). I mean something equally agressive, hard and hypnotic. I tried 13th Floor Elevators, Syd Barrett, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors and some other bands but (despite I rate most of them highly) it's just not what I'm looking for. Were there other bands playing that kind of music?

• UH,

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE?

And I know it's already been said, but the Velvet Underground is a must have for any psychedelic collection.

T-RAH
  • Oh, and if you're looking for more modern psychedelic....

Some of my favorites include:
    the Brian Jonestown Massacre
    the Olivia Tremor Control
    MGMT's newest album
    Clinic

T-RAH
  • Radio Moscow
    this band is totally great

• Bálticos, chilean psychedelic band

Balticos

Hi. I would like to present u Balticos, chilean psychedelic band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6es8XqWQl-U Site to download:http://www.lastfm.es/user/futurolvidado/journal/2010/07/20/3sb7xa_descarga_gratis_adelanto_(demos)_del_primer_disco_de_b%C3%A1lticos
    Greetings from Chile!

futurolvidado
    soundcloud.com/balticos/sets/balticos
  • @JKowalczyk try King Crimson, especially the song "epitaph" on the album "Court of the Crimson King".

cheers

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Nov 2010, 03:08
    Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Just outstanding.

• yeah, thought about king crimson too...
    also i've been listening to porcupine tree a lot the last couple of days, their early stuff is pretty psychadelic and awesome. I didn't get to their newer stuff yet, but you should check out "Stars Die: The Delirium Years 91-97" that will give you a good impression.
    I might have to add they're active since 87... don't be confused about the combination early stuff and 91-97...
    myself I love Pink Floyd, JA, QMS, The Doors and so on and I immediately fell in love with porcupine tree.
    also, you might should check out the softmachine (a band named after a novel by william s. burroughs can't be bad).

• www.karatebodyrecords.com
    facebook.com/karatebodyrecords
    twitter.com/karatebody
    soundcloud.com/karatebody
    karatebody.tumblr.com
    youtube.com/karatebodyrecords
  • aussiebanger said:
    Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Just outstanding.

My fave QMS song is Lady love:):)

• Luna Jade

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Jan 2011, 14:33
    i strongly recomend Fear Itself and Affinity ... u can also check out one of my fb blogs for some random psychadelic rock (and some blues) - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychedelic-Rock-Music-Videos/180040835348089

• tecido-humano said:
    i strongly recomend Fear Itself and Affinity ... u can also check out one of my fb blogs for some random psychadelic rock (and some blues) - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychedelic-Rock-Music-Videos/180040835348089

Real outta sight stuff......good heads up:)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.