Get the ball rolling....

• TanusX said...
    • User
    • 15 Aug 2006, 12:20

Get the ball rolling....

Anyone feel free to start a conversation. Have fun!

Don't Panic
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Aug 2006, 00:28
    <canadian teenage electronic music fan

these are my (self-sought) views:
    progressive is a logical frame of mind. not tied down to a specific set of moral principles, that to me are the blinders stunting the true redemption of the political and social world. economic growth builds social structures, and what these bandwagon lefties don't seem to understand is that the social structures they promote can cripple the economy, and in turn, the society they worked so hard to improve.

anyone get me?

• [spam]

[spam]

THX 4 THE SIGGY LOREN ILU4EVR SWETUMZ <3

hi :)
    Edited by hjbardenhagen on 3 Jan 2011, 13:06
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Aug 2006, 23:44
    Are the right-wing polititians really 'screwing everything up'? To me it seems they are observed as screw-ups because the entire nation points out every trip and stumble every administration makes. This doesn't make them incompetent (a few weeks ago i saw a college professor choke on his coffee, but given his 'left-wing' views, his reputation SOMEHOW managed to stay in tact ;p)

The world is based on making money. Its cold but its true. If the most powerful nation on earth has to start a war with a smaller, but potentially more profitable country to feed themselves (and thus, other nations), i'll support this sacrifice. It takes lives to save lives, and it takes money to make them worthwhile.

Without consitent means of making money, the defecit will naturally make any social social structures in ANY country decline exponentially until even us westerners are sleeping on substandard fucking pancake beds. So I support the war, and the administration.. and although i'm challenged by every comedy and talk show on tv, i really don't think they're screw ups. You could put Margret Atwood in the limelight and get the same response.

also: turned 18 today - i now have the right to vote : )

• Happy Birthday :)

If the most powerful nation on earth has to start a war with a smaller, but potentially more profitable country to feed themselves (and thus, other nations), i'll support this sacrifice.
    In about 30-45 years, China's economy is expected to exceed that of America's. Japan is also doing well economically. However, these countries did not rely on the exploitation of other countries to fuel their economy and growth.
    Similarly, Cuba has had embargos imposed upon it for a while now, but still manages to maintain a fairly decent standard of living.
    These examples are proof that it is not necessary to wage wars, or even have contact with other economies (though that might help) in order to maintain our standard of living.

Also I would like to point out that in America "the most powerful nation" 1/8 people are living in poverty, and the percentage of people in poverty increases each year, despite increase in economy. This signifies the fact that the wealth of America is unevenly distributed, and that even if you live in a western country who wages wars with other countries you are not guaranteed a good standard of living.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2006, 00:11
    (i'm hammered atm so ideas may be misconstrewed)

considering China has nearly limitless resources compared to us in the west, i can understand why their economy would be growing. but 'the most powerful nation' is the one with the highest standard of living for the largest percentage of people (forgetting any out-of-context statistics) which america [inc. canada] maintains, and with the most military power and influence. but i'm relatively uneducated about the details of China's economic system so i'll stop there.

as for Cuba, i'd like to know what resort you've been staying at, because the last time i checked, although its far from 3rd-world, its suprisingly reminiscant of the dilapidated East-Oakland slums (only it's constistent throughout the country)

(offtopic) i noticed the left wing link on your sig.. is this some kind of left wing 'Freakout' aimed at my sanity!? it's all about progress man! leave the 60's behind!........

• I think I'm in the wrong group :P

considering China has nearly limitless resources compared to us in the westNo it doesn't. China is about the same size as America - and their economy isnt fueled by raw materials. Economists call it the "Chinese economic miracle" - they cannot understand how it is fueled.

Cubas living standards are fairly decent - they are in the top 50 countries for living standards.

If the most powerful nation on earth has to start a war with a smaller, but potentially more profitable country to feed themselves (and thus, other nations), i'll support this sacrifice.Sacrifice is the wrong word there - what you mean to say is "atrocity" or "violation of human rights". You aren't sacrificing anything.

There is no need for wars in order to maintain the status quo for those living in average wealth. Wars are needed to increase the wealth of those who are already wealthy and brandishing power that they want to hold on to.

• [spam]

[spam]

• Why don't you point out some flaws in my argument - is what I am saying incorrect or false?

• TanusX said...
    • User
    • 6 Sep 2006, 14:33

MK_Polo is gone

I've banned MK_Polo. He came looking for a fight and did not belong here. I'm not excluding everyone with right slanting opinions, but I will ban people that are just here to yell at 'liberals.'

Don't Panic
  • Why is your group picture the American Flag?

• TanusX said...
    • User
    • 9 Sep 2006, 17:39
    Why shouldn't it be? I can't think of anything more appropriate. Do you have a suggestion?

Don't Panic
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Sep 2006, 17:01
    I think the American flag for the group photo is perfect. It symbolizes America, of course, and to me, being a progressive is about supporting policies that benefit all Americans. It's about ensuring the health of our environment, the well-being and fair treatment of our citizens, and acting responsibly on a global level. It's about turning the American Dream into a reachable goal and not just a myth for so many people. Of course, it's much more complicated than that. I know I can tend to be idealistic when I discuss politics but I think if more people thought that way we could elect more progressives into our government and start to effect some real change. I think that even our supposedly left-wing Democratic candidates today are too middle-of-the-road, without anything of substance to offer the average American.
    Anyhow, that's what I think a progressive is and why I like the group photo. It's about power to the people and what's more American than that?

• TanusX said...
    • User
    • 12 Sep 2006, 17:10
    Well said. I agree.

Don't Panic
  • [spam]

[spam]

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.