Children Of Bodom vs In Flames

• Children Of Bodom vs In Flames

I didnt like COB at first, took a while to get used to them and then one day i liked them. Cool story hey! Anyway i like them just as much as In Flames which i also didnt like so much until i heard so much about them on other groups and although i feel that they are not the best metal bands i would stil like to see which one everyone prefers. So lets begin this epic battle with my vote, Children Of Bodom, because of their awesome melodies, classical yet harcore licks and extreme solos.

• Jeff said...
    • User
    • 8 Apr 2006, 15:26
    In Flames redefined melodic death metal. Children of Bodom came up with a decently unique sound. Definitely In Flames.

• LioMC said...
    • User
    • 10 Apr 2006, 15:09
    Only COB's keyboarder can beat In Flames:)

COB's guitar and keyboard combination is perfect, great, excellent, ultimate, incredible etc. etc.
    In Flames has a great sound too, but COB is the greatest.

::::::::[[[[ Children Of Bodom - Children Of Decadence ]]]]:::::::: You must try it...GREAT!

• oO This is some of the choices I really can't make! =D Both bands (together with Dark Tranquillity maybe) are the best melodeath can offer imo.. Sometimes I'm more into IF, sometimes more into COB.. for the moment into both actually ^^ Or maybe slightly more into COB
    ow fck, what does it matter anyway =D

last week:
  • Heard of Bodom before In Flames. Ironically, Dark Tranquillity are the latest melodeth band out of those main three that I got into, and my favourite at the minute.

I would say that both In Flames' and CoB's new stuff is terrible compared to their older stuff. Individually...
    Vocals
    hmmm, difficult to decide. Neither of them do good growls (especially compared to Mikael Stanne), but I would have to choose Anders Friden (cos Alexi's a bit of a cock ;) )
    Guitar work
    Can't deny it, Alexi is very talented at guitars
    Keyboards
    Again, Bodom have it. Janne is easily the best member of Bodom, IMO
    Drums
    Hmmmm...can't decide. Both good, although Jaska of Bodom is more influenced by power metal (lots of bass pedals-you can't beat bass pedalling, especially double bass pedals!)
    Lyrics
    In Flames. Alexi can't write for shit (just as well I can't make out the lyrics ;) )'I don't give a flying fuck, motherfucker...' o_0

Overall
    Probably Bodom, but they wouldn't stand a chance against DT, if we were to do that...

'Well being I one, and wisdom, too...and grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word; from a deed to another deed...'
    'And he shall wield a nine-bladed sword! Nine! Not two, or five, or seven, but nine! And he shall wield it on all wretched sinners, just like you, sir, at the back...'~Prophet of Doom, Monty Python's Life of Brian
  • I'm only familiar with ten or so CoB songs so maybe I can't add a fair & accurate vote, but In Flames has such a prominent place in practically creating melodic death metal (and Jester Race is such an incredible album) that I can't help but say:
    IN FLAMES!

Katie

-Katie
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Apr 2006, 14:19
    Children Of Bodom... I don't know, maybe because I didn't really listen to a lot of In Flames songs... I really should...

• COB for sure, but only because they have songs that stand out....like In Your Face and bodom beach terror...oh and they remixed The final countdown lol...so yea i cast my vote for COB

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 May 2006, 03:15
    I think i heard about In flames first, though it didn't make any influence at the first time. Or was it Children of bodom ? Can't remember.
    I must say, bodom didn't sound so nice at the time eather. Little by little i started to like both of them. Bodom is just a little bit higher than In Flames in my lists. So my vote goes to Children of Bodom.

• I only know one Children of Bodom song, and I wasn't that impressed, so In Flames by defult.

• Tykvun said...
    • User
    • 18 Aug 2006, 13:22
    I've listened to IF once or twice but it didn't tell me anything...i prefer CoB

...sejpe na nas z del...
  • I prefer COB definitly 100% more melodic, more precision, more speed, more perfection, more power, more ALL !!

• Miumii said...
    • User
    • 29 Aug 2006, 20:09
    Both are realy good, but I have to say that I prefer CoB even when their last album was rather crappy and In Flames latest was realy good.

But overall CoD beats In Flames.

• First post here, hello everybody^^

Well IMO Children Of Bodom beats the hell out of In Flames. They have so much more heavyness in their tunes. And I really love Alexi's voice, contrary to many people. Of course, I'm in love with the incredibly catchy melodies (but who's not?) and amazed by the great guitar/keyboard solos. Only weak point, the lyrics. And maybe the change of direction with Are You Dead Yet, preferred Follow The Reaper :D .

So definitely CoB.

• I don't know that much CoB stuff, so my vote is for In Flames all the way <3

• Skemmer said...
    • User
    • 30 Sep 2006, 22:07
    Hmmm, tough choice, but i would have to go with In Flames.

• I adore both. CoB is definately faster and more brutal, but I love the composition and overall lyrical quality of In Flames' work...

so I'd say... In Flames, but mostly because of their older albums. They're newer ones are eh...but Clayman and everything before it was amazing.

• Kokosh said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2006, 12:30
    I will say In flames, because I don't really like COB...

• Definately In Flames.

• in flames!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Nov 2006, 19:08

No Contest

In Flames.

Bodom aren't bad but In Flames are heavier (heaviest album probably Whoracle) and are much better songwriters. In Flames are even better than DT at songwriting (who are also excellent).

Also sorry to say it but Alexi is quite overrated as a guitarist and Glenn Lungstrom has got some pretty impressive solos in the Jester Race (i.e. Goliaths Disarm their Davids) which pwn Laiho.

If you like In Flames older stuff you should check out Dimension Zero (side project of Jesper and Glenn)...

• shinzer0 said:
    First post here, hello everybody^^

Well IMO Children Of Bodom beats the hell out of In Flames. They have so much more heavyness in their tunes. And I really love Alexi's voice, contrary to many people. Of course, I'm in love with the incredibly catchy melodies (but who's not?) and amazed by the great guitar/keyboard solos. Only weak point, the lyrics. And maybe the change of direction with Are You Dead Yet, preferred Follow The Reaper :D .

So definitely CoB.

Apparently you don't listen to In Flames.

Some of the few groups I feel are worth being in...
    I Still Buy CD's | Death Metal | The Seasoned Metalheads
  • In Flames, easily.

Vocals:

Anders' makes Alexi sound plain pathetic in comparison. Every Bodom song sounds like its the exact same. Like Alexi is singing the same thing over everything. Alexi is naturally melodic, and while I will give him the credit he deserves as a vocalist for the naturally given talent of melody, I say In Flames > CoB.

Instruments:

Again, In Flames triumphs over Children of Bodom. All of In Flames material is unbelievably melodic and precise, and very soulful. CoB is like listening to a banshee with a cough shriek over repetative blast beats with some rapid fire keyboards and ramshackle guitar thrown together. While certain songs from CoB are pretty great, and I do give them credit for their talent, as they are all great musicians... if lacking in appeal, but it's all just bland crap.

In Flames is the King of Melodic Death, and while they are now moreover a Melo Death band, they pretty much pioneered a genre, and still make kick ass music.

Children of Bodom is... some halfway decent Melo Death with unique vocals.

watsupguy.com
  • IN FLAMES!!! <3

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Dec 2006, 18:15
    Definetly CoB!

Okay, you've got a point in saying that CoB's lyrics _suck_. On the other hand, I like Alexi's voice! Sure he's a bit childish, but nevertheless very talented!

I've seen both live and CoB has SO much more energy on stage. To be honest, IF really had me disappointed. I like some of their songs tho to be fair, it's just that they not stand out in any way,lol.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.