the worst album of porcupine tree

• the worst album of porcupine tree

?

• None

• I can't like On the Sunday of Life as an album, although there are some good songs...

• Well, if you count all the albums released under the name "Porcupine Tree", it's On the Sunday of Life as it clearly is just a collection songs and musical experiments of Steven Wilson. At that time, Porcupine Tree meant just Wilson himself so I tend to start counting the albums from Up the Downstair as at the time of it's release, the one-man project had evolved into a proper band (although into a one dominated by Steven). So if we don't count On the Sunday of Life, the answer would be In Absentia. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good album, but I personally think it to be just a little bit too long and as a whole not that well built. There are fantastic songs, but it's the album in it's entirety that counts the most and in this area In Absentia is a little bit lacking.

Still an excellent opening to a new era in Porcupine Tree's discography and at least the formula found in In Absentia was refined to perfection in the following release. :)

• Jesh-box said:
    So if we don't count On the Sunday of Life, the answer would be In Absentia. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good album, but I personally think it to be just a little bit too long and as a whole not that well built. There are fantastic songs, but it's the album in it's entirety that counts the most and in this area In Absentia is a little bit lacking.

Still an excellent opening to a new era in Porcupine Tree's discography and at least the formula found in In Absentia was refined to perfection in the following release. :)

I think In Absentia is the best album of Porcupine Tree. Much better than FOABP. To the question - which is the worst?... It's hard to say, but the albums older than The Sky Moves Sideways aren't recorded well enough for me...

• pacislav said:
    I think In Absentia is the best album of Porcupine Tree. Much better than FOABP.

I just can't get my mind to the same level with people like you. :D No offense though, each one of us have our own opinions concerning this group, but still. FOABP is an amazing record because next to Deadwing, it has to be the most cohesive work of Porcupine Tree to date. The tracks flow seamlessly to each other and the whole thing could have been released as a single, massive track. Of course it's a hard record to get into. There are no hit material beside the track Sentimental and the numbness that radiates from the compositions might seem at first to be just bad writing from Steven Wilson's behalf, but if you let the music do it's work you might just get into the concept and realize that everything to FOABP is just a part of one massive conceptual work - a work that's superb even by Porcupine Tree's standards.

• I agree that FOABP and Deadwing are more cohesive. But I prefer In Absentia. Maybe because it is the first Porcupine's record I got into... It has some kind of sentimental value for me :)

• Well that's perfectly understandable, as I've come to love Deadwing the best mostly because it has enormous sentimental value for me for being the first PT record that I got into. :) To each his own I guess. ^^

• Well... there's no such thing as a bad porcupine tree album for me.. I like them all, but.. of course I have my preferences :)

• "Well... there's no such thing as a bad porcupine tree album for me.. I like them all, but.. of course I have my preferences :)" +1

• the only one i don't like is voyage 34 i suppose..

• Piondis said...
    • User
    • 20 Oct 2008, 15:24
    Fear of a Blank Planet, IMHO

• theres none, i love absolutely everything theyve made.
    i even really enjoy On The Sunday Of Life lol

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Oct 2008, 12:56
    Porcupine Tree doesn't have any bad albums. In every album I find sth new, sth amazing.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Oct 2008, 19:28
    In my case, the album I least appreciate is Lightbulb Sun. It's still a quite good album, sure, but it doesn't catch me as the other ones. Even the earliest phase.

• I think the worst albums/collections from PT are On the Sunday of Life and Metanoia.

• kiiabby said...
    • User
    • 28 Oct 2008, 00:42
    I find the older stuff harder to listen to, although not because they are bad albums... just different.

I am rather attached to FOABP since the first time I heard it my jaw dropped and I was hooked straight away. I've kicked myself ever since, because I had Deadwing at one point through my work and I remember looking at it thinking "this looks interesting, I should give this a listen before I send it out to a reviewer" but I was pushed for time and didn't get round to it! Coulda had two extra years of PT addiction if I'd listened to it lol.

I'm really enjoying Recordings at the moment.. for a bunch of random tracks that didn't make it onto the album it sounds quite cohesive and Buying New Soul is lovely.

So, back to the question, it's rather hard to actually pick one album out as the "worst"... since the earlier stuff is just underdeveloped, not really bad as such.

• Fear Of A Blank Planet

• It is definetey impossible for me to tell which one is the worst. Mainly because their first one "One Of These Over" nearly turned my "prog-vision" over. And all the rest ones added up something to my "amusement" collection =)

• htm23 said...
    • User
    • 8 Nov 2008, 13:15
    On the Sunday of life...

• Rarn said...
    • User
    • 11 Nov 2008, 22:32
    Disregarding On the Sunday of Life,

Fear of a Blank Planet is certainly the worst. The lyrics are horrendous, and the Metal influence has gotten over the top. Honestly though the lyrics kill it for me.

• Rarn said:
    Disregarding On the Sunday of Life,

Fear of a Blank Planet is certainly the worst. The lyrics are horrendous, and the Metal influence has gotten over the top. Honestly though the lyrics kill it for me.

Personally, I liked the metal influence. SW hasn't started the metal growl yet, at any rate. FOABP is nice in that it has a very defined feel. Voyage 34 gets my vote (or anti-vote?)

• Personally, I love the Delirium Years...... But if I had to choose one, and it had to be a full length, it would have to be On the Sunday of Life because, as someone said, it's more so a collection of Steven's experimentation in music rather than him sitting down and writing music for an album so it doesn't have much form.

And Metanoia owns. Improvisation at it's best.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Nov 2008, 14:17
    Up the downstair and Signify are just a bit too out there for me. I'm sure that won't make me popular saying it but I just prefer their newer sounds (In absentia, FOABP). Not saying its bad though, still really good musicians.

• As a whole album, I will go with Lightbulb Sun. I really like some of the tracks on there, but it's definitely far from first choice for an album to listen to from start to finish. It's nothing the band themselves did wrong, I just find myself disinterested in it for the most part.

"International Pop Star." - Steven Wilson
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.