The Gender Plot

• The Gender Plot

I found it awesome. However I have some concerns with the breakdown of the main one. I like to think I'm educated in music and a lot of the older music has artists I've never heard of. The vast majority of them are alien to me.

But seeing the other plots, I have a feeling it's because they're international people. Any chance you could add a country filter on top of this?
    Comparing the kids of each country would be interesting.

• gp1628 said...
    • User
    • 22 Sep 2010, 19:54

I agree

I had the same problem. The eclectic plotter rated me 93% and I was quite proud of that. I thought I was fairly general across all ages, genres, and many countries. But I was clueless about what showed up for my age group.

I wondered the same thing about the nationalities involved. I have nothing against music from other countries but Id like to see the same plot with a geographic neighborhood worked into it.

Added note: I love the interactive plotter. Plugging in the people that Last.fm considered to be in my neighborhood gives me a nice view of artists they all agree on that I didnt consider. Very nice.

• Yeah, Right.

According to this model, I am a healthy young male in my early 20s.

Funny—when I looked in the mirror this morning, I could have sworn I saw a somewhat average middle-aged woman in my late 40s... who still listens and headbangs giddily to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Soundgarden, Altar Bridge, and Saliva as readily as Martina McBride, Gretchen Wilson and Keith Urban.

By the way, I'm college-educated, live in the suburbs, and drive a Buick Regal. And I still have ALL of my electric guitars and basses from my days as a rock musician (as well as all my teeth).

I see that gender bias is still alive and well in the music industry even in 2010.

• Great!

It's so very interesting to look at your own stats and the ones of your friends and to compare and discover. Thank you very much.
    Any chance you could add a country filter on top of this?
    I second this.

PS: It's quite interesting to see that elderly people using last.fm mostly listen to German Folk and German Schlager.

• snyde1 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 24 Sep 2010, 03:47

Re: Yeah, Right.

jayteeminton said:
    According to this model, I am a healthy young male in my early 20s.
    Not too healthy - pretty much 50-50 on the gender meter there. Me too, though I am younger (seemingly, but I doubt that). B-)

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • Bloopy said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 27 Sep 2010, 03:45
    It's great. It's amusing to know that listeners of The Macc Lads are mostly old men, while The Runaways have become insanely popular amongst young girls ever since the movie of the same name.

The only thing I don't like is that it only plots one New Zealand band for me. Maybe it's a little too strict on how many listeners an artist needs to have. When I put in 90, I only get 50 artists (or 65 or so in the PDF).

• As I'm actually a 26-year-old lady, I'm just going to take this reflection of listeners' tastes as a sign that my soulmate is on Last.fm and happily scrobbling Richard and Linda Thompson and Laura Nyro in celebration of his 33rd birthday.

P.S. Richard & Linda Thompson really needs to point to Richard and Linda Thompson. I've been waiting for years and it's really skewing statistics for Last.fm as a whole.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Feb 2011, 05:11
    I find it interesting that I'm plotted directly in the middle, with gender impossible to predict from my music.

• Interesting, for this tool I'm not woman neither man, I'm kind like androgenic with 27 years... lol But I'm a 22 years old woman, actually.

• Bloopy a dit :
    It's great. It's amusing to know that listeners of The Macc Lads are mostly old men, while The Runaways have become insanely popular amongst young girls ever since the movie of the same name.

The only thing I don't like is that it only plots one New Zealand band for me. Maybe it's a little too strict on how many listeners an artist needs to have. When I put in 90, I only get 50 artists (or 65 or so in the PDF).
    I get similar. No group from Réunion shows up for me when three are in my top eight. There's a lot of other artists that don't show up either. I wonder what the number of plays/listeners limit is? Or if it is even to do with that?

• humpnik said...
    • User
    • 29 Jun 2011, 17:58
    Anyone tried the position of Rush? It must be over the top line.

• Bloopy said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 29 Jun 2011, 22:19
    humpnik said:
    Anyone tried the position of Rush? It must be over the top line.
    http://playground.last.fm/demo/genderplot?users=pingunet&period=overall&artists=40

• It's a funny litte toy - but nothing more for me actually.
    Either I am way to dumb for that or statistics to compare in age, location or whatsoever are missing to make this valid.

But I liked the fact that my taste in music is older than me and neither especially male nor female ;)

• Surely these artists need to be weighted to compensate for the demographics of users.

I find it hard to believe that last fm use is linear for all ages and genders.

• Most of the artists are plotted in the age group from 20 to 25. I guess it equals the average age of last.fm users.

The data has not been updated since last year. some new artists are missing completely. some artists have become more popular this year gaining new listeners in other age groups and among the other gender

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Dec 2012, 00:18

According to the gender plot....

According to the Gender Plot, I'm a 25 year old guy! :D

• fduniho said...
    • User
    • 14 Feb 2013, 02:32
    My tastes tend to plot along a diagonal line from young female to middle-aged male. I appear to not be into music that is mainly popular among young males or older women. Most of the artists at the young female end are themselves young and female.

Analysis of my Taste in Music (Updated June 26, 2013)
    Key Albums in the Development of my Taste (Updated July 14, 2013)
  • I would like to see how this is calculated.
    One major factor is that i assume the sex and age demographic on last fm isent a perfect spread.
    If they already took this into account I assume it is by taking the age and sex ration of the listener and applying that as a value to the song to rate its age and gender.

• [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 14 May 2013, 04:43
  • not working

its not working for me :(
    what am i doing wrong?
    or is this down?

• Bloopy said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 21 Jul 2013, 22:23
    It's not working for you because you haven't listened to any music. See What is scrobbling?

You should still be able to use the Gender Plot by entering the usernames of other users.

• That's a great tool, but it would be great if we could also plot tags ourselves, because I can only find an image from the article and can't analyze that data myself :) To find out whether some genre is more preferred by women or men I have to pick the most representative artists, go to their top listeners and plot their stats to see where these artists fall on the plot. Not too handy :)

Check out my music (IDM/Progressive Ambient/Chillout/Post-Rock and more):
    http://www.last.fm/music/Waterplea
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.