Multi tag search

• avalyn2 said...
    • User
    • 18 May 2008, 10:38
    definitely the best of the 3, and should be incorporated into the main site.
    great idea to be able to filter the downloadable tracks, so can try them out on my ipod in my own time.

Top Fans method keeps changing. This is the Old Top Fans formula with rationale. Discuss any Top Fans issues in the Top Fans Forum. Updated list of top obsessive fans here.
    My wife's handcrafted jewellery website www.startrishdesign.co.uk
    • akrde said...
    • User
    • 18 May 2008, 16:14
    Another idea how to use Multi Tags:

When playing any Last.fm radio it would be great if one could select tags to define what one want to hear.

For example: when playing the Personal Radio and one select the tags "jazz -piano" then the radio should only play the titles that fit to this tag selection.

Perhaps you can make a new project for this idea on the playground?

• akrde: doesn't personal radio play only the artists on your profile? If so, you're pretty well off using the personal tag radio (if you're a subscriber), I think.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

ze bunny! :O
    • akrde said...
    • User
    • 18 May 2008, 16:54
    namnatulco sagte:
    akrde: doesn't personal radio play only the artists on your profile? If so, you're pretty well off using the personal tag radio (if you're a subscriber), I think.

Dont know if i understand you right, but my suggestion was an optional Multi Tag filter for every Last.fm radio to tune the output of these radios a little bit!

This would be very cool, wouldn't it? :-)

• In other words, a multi-tag radio?

Or do you mean that when you play the metal tag radio, you can remove everything with a certain tag (ie nu metal)?

Or am I totally mis-understanding you here?

(\__/)

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 18 May 2008, 20:47
    namnatulco sagte:
    Or do you mean that when you play the metal tag radio, you can remove everything with a certain tag (ie nu metal)?

Yes, for example!

Or when you play your Loved Tracks Radio you play everything tagged as "jazz" and "piano" but not "swing" using the radio option "jazz piano -swing"!

• I've never used the loved tracks radio, tho :).

Bad news for you: everything tagged metal is probably tagged nu metal at least once. So that would be an issue.. maybe excluding on a certain percentage of the total amount of tags, but that would make the whole thing pretty complicated...

(\__/)

• I just found an excellent song I'd never heard with this tool. It is officially functional. And by functional I mean awesome; I love this song!

if you're bored then you're boring
  • E1i45 said:
    @Pixieguts:

The algorithm that selects up & coming artists/tracks has a filter built in that is rather strict about what it displays. It searches for artists and tracks that have a rather low number of listeners but at the same time seem to be attracting a lot of interest recently. The up & coming charts can change a lot from week to week.

Unfortunately we cant disclose in detail how it works as we've seen artists and labels attempt to game our recommendation engine in the past.

Just thinking that maybe the parameters might be too strict on the 'up and coming' if it's throwing back a lot of 'no results' searches.

There are an almost inconceivable number of artists on this site of all varieties and presumably the 'searcher' wants to find *something* when they do the search. Just seems a bit odd to get no results on a simple 2-tag search.

Otherwise, this new multi-tag search function is a great feature! Congratz :)

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 20 May 2008, 06:03
    namnatulco sagte:
    Bad news for you: everything tagged metal is probably tagged nu metal at least once. So that would be an issue..

I don´t listen metal very much, so what...! ;-)

• E1i45 said...
    • Alumni
    • 20 May 2008, 10:47
    @ akrde: I like your idea, it fits nicely into some of the plans we have for radio. However, it might take us a while to get there.

@ Pixieguts: Good point, we'll look into it.

• @akrde: My point was, if you have a certain tag you want to leave out, you might miss alot because of bad tagging ;).

(\__/)

• tartalo said...
    • User
    • 25 May 2008, 08:31
    When searching tracks, if the tags given to artist and album are also used by the engine, would the results be better or would it just add a lot of noise?

Last.fm groups:
    Endangered Languages
    • jahuuu said...
    • User
    • 17 Jun 2008, 17:22
    wasn't it there already once? one of the very first last.fm player had this feature implemented if i remember correctly. i missed it a lot when it was canceled...

• @tartalo: sounds like an idea, except that problems arise on pages with more than one artist.

(\__/)

• tartalo said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2008, 01:08
    Sorry namnatulco, I don't understand what you mean.

---

By the way, in the Playground only the top tags are taken in account, but that's because it's just a proof of concept, right?

Last.fm groups:
    Endangered Languages
  • search within streamable songs

In addition to multi-tag radios, I think it would be very convenient to be able to perform multi-tag search only among fully streamable songs (as some users may have suggested when complaining about only having 30 sec previews), so that any of the results of the search could be listened to.

However, it may well not comply with labels contracts, as this doesn't even exist with only one tag, afaik.

• Faz2 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 21 Oct 2008, 00:01

Full track playing & station filter please! =)

Very cool feature, but was quite disappointed when I realized it only acted as a preview station. :( Still excited about the concept and the hope that this will be built on down the line, contract / licensing issues permitting.

@akrde: Completely agree with you on the filtering idea too. I'd love to be able to listen to my own or neighbours stations whilst being able to exclude tags like ambient.

Last.fm 4ever! ;)

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 21 Oct 2008, 07:39
    This thread started in May 2008!

I have the sneaking suspicion that testing all these playground features and giving ideas and suggestions to them is a real waste of time.... :-(

• d3prok said...
    • User
    • 22 Oct 2008, 10:55

Suggesting Boolean operators and Tags percentage

Hello!
    This for sure is what we were looking for!

What we miss now is the possibility to add boolean operators to the search string.

Just to make it simplier: if I want to hear a radio based on my favored genres, for example "black metal" and "melodic death metal", but I don't want to listent to only the very few artist which have been tagged with both tags, I should write into the search string something like " "black metal" OR "melodic death metal" -"emo" ".

Another very interesting feature I found into the prevous replies is the one concerning the percentage of tags for the artist.

Il write an example to show what I mean: using my last search string (" "black metal" "melodic death metal" -"emo" "), I would like now to have in my results only the artists which have in their tag list at least a tag "melodic death metal" every 5 tags, so my search string would be: " "black metal" "melodic death metal<20>" -"emo" " (20 stands for 20%...hey! this is just a mere suggest! :D )

• E1i45 said...
    • Alumni
    • 23 Oct 2008, 12:01
    @akrde

We're currently working on integrating some of the playground features into the main product. For example, we're currently testing the new neighbours (musical soulmates) on neighbourhood radio. We also have some plans regarding the multi tag feature...

@everyone

Thanks for all the suggestions! We hope will be able to launch some of them in the near future.

• Pretty pleeeease, make this a feature ASAP. I really can't use the radio feature at all as it stands... If I want calm music, I get a lot of music, that according to my taste, is crap. And some that is good, of course. If I could only search for two tags (genre + adjective)... ;)

• Great Tool, will this be possible for the personal tags also? If so, I would finally get to change my personal tags into a reasonable form.

Currently I have to tag a song with "funk, instrumental, instrumental funk" to get my personal-tag results for "instrumental + funk"

or is that already possible?

• I can only play previews when I search multitags at Playground. Will it be (or is it already) possible to listen full tracks like a normal tag station?

• As I understand it multi-tag radio was available prior to the CBS purchase of Last.fm, and was removed due to licensing issues. My question for the Last.fm staff is if multi-tag will ever be implemented in the API?

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.