Best pre-dark side of the moon album?

• sampo said...
    • User
    • 7 Dec 2005, 16:18

Re:

Quoth KarnEvil9:

I listen to this record quite frequently.

"When the first list was being drawn up in the rock and roll book of Genesis, it would have been: In the beginning, God created Pink Floyd."
    -- Rick Wakeman
  • I can't believe the people saying that they don't like Piper. Oh well, to each his own.

• Atom Heart Mother comes out being a sentimental favourite, and also because I'm a really, really, really big fan of the title track. Still, Meddle is probably better overall.

:-"
  • If I had to pick one it would have to be "Obscured by Clouds".

But Meddle is a VERY close second...

watching for pigs on the wing
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Jan 2006, 00:07
    Actually, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is my favorite Floyd record.. It is so impressive, that, that.. Aarrrgh! :) You get what I mean. An absolute gem, their early style appeals to me much more that that on The Wall for example. Oh, well.. I guess I will always like psychedelia more than prog rock :)

• Piper is a fantastic album, but for me Meddle beats it, purely because of "Echoes" and "One Of These Days" - two of my absolute favourite Floyd tracks.

• Meddle, followed by piper, then maybe Obscured by Clouds

• lorbs said...
    • User
    • 13 Jan 2006, 07:51
    For me it is a tie between A Saucerful of Secrets and The Piper At The Gates of Dawn, followed closely by Meddle (especially for Echoes, which was my first favorite Pink Floyd song)

• Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, absolutely - that's what for I call Syd the genious!

• It's definitely The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Although I adore A Saucerful of Secrets, too. Especially for Jugband Blues.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Mar 2006, 07:20
    Meddle or Atom Heart Mother. Great albums.

• DNA100 said...
    • User
    • 17 Mar 2006, 11:44
    Meddle

• Meddle and Piper At The Gates of Dawn

• sampo said...
    • User
    • 17 Mar 2006, 22:49
    Shouldn't be a contest really, Meddle it is. Though I really dig the two first albums as well.

"When the first list was being drawn up in the rock and roll book of Genesis, it would have been: In the beginning, God created Pink Floyd."
    -- Rick Wakeman
    • feefooo said...
    • User
    • 18 Mar 2006, 10:26
    Meddle and Saucerful of Secrets

• Meddle then Saucerful of Secrets

I want to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father.
    • Tulac said...
    • User
    • 19 Mar 2006, 11:41
    Meddle, then AHM...

• ninsega said...
    • User
    • 20 Apr 2006, 07:47
    For me, it's Meddle.

• Violo said...
    • User
    • 20 Apr 2006, 15:46
    Meddle and atom heart mother

--- www.mamuth.it --- --- www.ce-co.net --- ;-) ---

• yep, meddle here too...
    Seems pretty obvious it's the most popular... after that i'd have to go with atom heart mother, coz to be honest, i don't really like any of syd's stuff...

• Piper followed closely by Meddle.

• Umm... Hmm... Really Tough

Let's see. The honors here would have to go to Meddle, seeing as how it has the best song ever (Echoes), the second best instrumental ever (One of These Days, trumped only by Ummagumma Careful With That Axe Eugene), the best blues song ever (Seamus), the best lounge Jazz song ever (San Tropez), and Fearless, a solid song.

Echoes is the best side of an LP ever, by the way.

• Back Again

Oh, and I forgot. Meddle is the best album ever. Now I'm done.

Of course, all the others except Zabriskie Point are excellent, and ZP itself is good.

• P.P.S.

Oh yeah, and props to Relics, for giving me the best Barrett (Arnold Layne), Biding My Time, Julia Dream, See Emily Play, Arnold Layne, and for introducing me to Careful With That Axe, Eugene.

Oh, and when I said that One of These Days was the second best instrumental ever, I meant instrumentals with one-liners. The best instrumental ever would have to be the Alan Parsons' Project's Lucifer.

• Meddle. I think this album is even much better then DSOTM because of the songs Echoes and San Tropez.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.