How would your lists have looked like if you registered ten years earlier?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Jul 2006, 14:01
    top five albums ten years ago in 1996 that i listen to

Edited by a deleted user on 24 Jul 2006, 14:04
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Jul 2006, 14:02
  • In 1996 I was mostly listening to:

Tori Amos
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Nine Inch Nails
    No Doubt

Gosh I can't even remember what else...Nothing I'm ashamed of but with the exception of Tori, stuff that I don't listen to much anymore.

• i think it would be los merengues y sus changos

• ananita said...
    • User
    • 26 Jul 2006, 20:31
    paquita la del barrio, celia cruz.. and another fat people. SALSA, SALSA!!

• the belching bubbles- ana maria de la cruz robles tirado

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2006, 16:59
    damn, when i was 7...

maybe that's gonna be a bit surprising, but i'd have loads of dead can dance and pink floyd in my top lists then (:

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Aug 2006, 16:14
    Wow, I was definitely 7, but the Beatles have never left my life. Also, I overheard a lot of my parents' Nirvana, Leonard Cohen, R.E.M., Tish Hinojosa, Smashing Pumpkins. I also liked Jewel and Lauryn Hill, but I think that was more like 8 years ago.

• at 8 years old... I was totally into the Pinky and the Brain theme song. My discovery of bands and music didn't really happen until I entered middle school. At that point I remember my first CD being that year's Grammy Awards compilation. My parents wouldn't let me listen to Kid Rock... thank you God!

When love has taken you down, listen to a showtune. Then burn the cd and tune your ipod to a very obscure song featuring lots of distortion and feedback as a tonic.
    • julians said...
    • Alumni
    • 16 Aug 2006, 21:14
    In 1996 I wasn’t listening to any music. I only started in 2000. But better late than never ;)

• I was about 5 or 6 then, but I remember liking Pulp and Blur, as well as the stuff my parents played (which was Michael Jackson, The Human League and lots of old funk and soul).

• A lot of so-called "emo" crap would be on it:
    MCR
    Disturbed

heavy metal bands, etc.

also, teeny-bopper bands. some paula abduel or whoever, i can't be bothered to spell it corerctly right now.

Haha.

• I will destroy you.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Aug 2006, 05:46
    Ummmm...I was 9, so like Hanson (MMMMM BOP!), Spice Girls, NSYNC, and I liked some stuff that my brother's listened to like Nirvana, Presidents of the United States, Sheryl Crow (who I still love!), and No Doubt.

• Haha, I'd be 8 then, and thus probably the only music I listened to back in that day were The Beatles...

• Haha I would have been 6... So I would be listening to Bill Douglas or Oystein Sevag or some new age shit that my parents had on. Failing that. Madonna.

I'M ASHAMED.

Hummingbird sucked my blood.
  • Radiohead would probably still be number one...

But Rage Against the Machine would most certainly number two.

And the Deftones would undoubtedly take third.

The Chili Peppers would be up there, with Tool. And Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd might even sneak up on second there.

Hrm...

It'd be insane.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Aug 2006, 02:00
    I would have deleted them.
    Too lame.

• Three seperate lists come to mind.

a) music that I liked back in ´96.
    b) music that I would´ve liked in 96, had I been my current age, 23
    c) what my 13-year-old self would think of today´s music.

I´ll stick to a), like most people.

I was addicted to MTV in those days (MTV Europe that is) and a late-bloomer when it comes to music.
    My list would have consisted entirely of pop. Cheap eurodance, plenty of britpop, whatever was ´big´ at the time. Not too heavy on the boybands though. Mainly stand-out singles and one hit wonders, very few entire albums
    By 96, my own taste was slowly creeping in as well. Personal favourites back then were Alanis Morissette, Bon Jovi, Fugees, Blur...

...and after the sun comes rain again...
  • I Was 26 and there is very little that I was listening to back then that I don't still listen to, so there wouldn't have been much on my charts if I'd have started last.fm then that isn't now. I don't tend to go off of music I like.

The biggest difference would have been that obviously the stuff that I was listening to back then would have got a lot higher play counts than they currently do and some of the more recent stuff wouldn't get a look in on the overall charts.

My overall top 3 are Bob Dylan, Depeche Mode and Elvis Costello. Dylan and DM would have been pretty close to the top over 10 years, but I've only got into Elvis Costello in the last could of years so he would be way down.

• When I was 12 I was just getting into Ben Folds Five and there was also this one song by Martha and the Muffins that I really loved. Other than that, there'd be some Vanessa Mae, Kirsty Maccoll and my mum's music: Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey and Richard Clayderman. My dad's music on the other hand used to and still does give me headaches, so that's The Doors right out the window then. :)

"and finally, undoubtedly the greatest record to play when you're in a bad mood is 'viva hate' by Morrissey. now there's a man that's ...fairly depressed. i just like Morrissey, he makes me laugh, i think he's funny."
    http://blog.herdivineshadow.com|http://herdivineshadow.tumblr.com
  • still a bit angsty 10 years go....
    suicidal tendancies
    the cramps
    pink floyd
    tool
    type o neg
    the cure
    pearl jam
    nirvana
    love n rockets
    jesus and mary chain
    dead milkmen
    dead kennedys

60's classic rock was big for me then too.

• Gronkle said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2006, 11:39
    It would have been 90's techno and Oasis. A bit of Blur too. Some 60's pop that my mother listened to. She used to play Edith Piaf to annoy me and get me to hurry up with breakfast in the mornings too, and if I wouldn't wake up in the mornings, she'd play some organ music full blast in my own room. That's about it. It would have been just before Radiohead changed everything, so I wasn't really into music. And I was 7.

9 years ago and my answer would be very different.

• 1996... Probably Nirvana..

we don't want your fucking love!
  • hm. hanson and alanis morrisette.
    wow.

"We are here because of the music" -Penny Lane, Almost Famous
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.