• Recommend a band for us to try and see the brilliance of

Well my compatibility with every member so far is Very Low, except one (aliceinnit: High,) two if i'm including myself which is presumably Super.
    So I am led to conclude that either we all have differing music tastes, or you all have the same music taste and I'm the odd one out.

Either way, I think it would be good to recommend a band.

My recommendation is Cardiacs. If you can find any of their music. You could try soulseek seeing as their music is so hard to find. http://www.slsknet.org/
    But they are brilliant.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Jul 2007, 00:53
    yes, i'm not an exception (very low too). but i'd recommend you the album by Robert Fripp and David Sylvian - "The First Day". absolute masterpiece!

• http://www.lo-ruhamah.com/

Lo-Ruhamah-the gloy of God, musical excellence, black metal with post rock influences

• http://www.laibach.nsk.si/

Laibach - one of the greatest conceptual bands in my opinion. They are a part of a bigger artist collective called NSK ( www.nskstate.com ). Their sound has changed constantly over their 25+ years long musical career but they are mostly thrown in that "industrial" genre.

A video from their latest release "Volk":

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OF0AqPujjaM

P.S.: Many think that they embrace nazi ideology. They are as much nazi as you want them to be.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Jul 2007, 21:31
    I am low with everyone as well.

Minus the Bear PLZ. GOD. D: I cannot stand it when people like really retarded shit and they've listen to minus the bear and say they don't like them. they, in turn, are mentally challenged.

• I'm beginning to doubt how wise it was to gather a group of people together who could get violent if I don't like a band they see as brilliant, and then possibly tell them that I don't like a band they see as brilliant.

But I shall have a listen to all of your recommendations with an open mind and a fearful heart.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Jul 2007, 22:18
    of course no one would literally get violent. and you're musical tastes to begin with are good. plus, you're at least giving them a try.

how said they were going to get violent? ._____.

• It's just I put in my description "If you get frustrated, or even violent" and i'm sure the majority of people would not get violent, but there's always a lingering doubt since no one states which bit of the description they had in mind when they joined.

I'm just glad this isn't the People who get pretty darn violent when they cannot make someone see the brilliance of a band group.

• Blah Blah Blah

Listen to the lyrics, they are genius, and different from anything else around today, i think i have links on my page to them.

PLS PLS CHECK THEM OUT! :D

P.S. The band's name is actually Blah Blah Blah

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Jul 2007, 18:24

~ Mourning Widows ~

And :

- Population1
    - Dramagods

• I had a listen to some of the recommendations...

Cardiacs - I found a few songs to listen to, really enjoyed them. Very interesting musically and I liked the element of silliness they put in their songs. Will definitely check out more of their stuff.

Lo-Ruhamah - I had a listen to the song on their myspace page. It was alright. The melodic bits were a bit boring; the metal bits were quite good, pleasant enough to listen to, but I can't say it struck me as anything that special.

Laibach - Listened to the youtube link, can't say it did anything for me. It wasn't awful, but I found the music a little boring and the vocals quite cheesy. I might listen to more of their stuff at a later date as they sound like one of those bands whose music makes more sense in the context of an album and/or after you listen to more of their songs.

Minus the Bear - I listened to a song called 'Pachuca Sunrise'. I quite liked the music during the chorus (without the vocals), but overall it sounded kinda boring. Didn't inspire me to check out any more of their songs.

Blah Blah Blah - I listened to a few songs on their myspace page. I found them a bit annoying. I can understand the appeal, they do have a certain quirkiness about them, but for some reason they just irritated me.

My recommendation is Random Hand.
    They're a mixture of ska, metal, punk, rap and a few other things. I know that's not a terribly original combination, but I've always had a thing for bands that mix heavy music with ska and I've not come across a band that do it better than Random Hand.
    http://www.myspace.com/randomhand

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Jul 2007, 15:01
    modest mouse

• listen to the stuff for Lo-Ruhamah on the site i gave you, the song on their myspace is from an earlier album which isnt even half as good as their new one

• ciszon said...
    • User
    • 17 Jul 2007, 13:37
    cocorosie

• Ceal said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2007, 13:39
    Ulver.
    The new experimental stuff.

• There aren't many metal fans here, but my favorite band is Ion Dissonance, and I can never get anyone to understand the how brilliant the guitar work is, how passionate the vocals are, and how wonderful it all sounds together.

btw, if you are interested, listen to thier older material (Breathing is Irrelavant or Solace)

• My hard drive currently being full, I won't be able to listen to all of the recommendations until i get an external hard drive in a week or so.

However,
    liv_sound said:
    modest mouse

I already do enjoy Modest Mouse

• Ceal said:
    Ulver.

It seems I have a song of theirs in my music library, although I haven't yet listened to it.
    Capitel II - Soelen Gaaer Bag Aase Ned

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Jul 2007, 03:09
    Check out Flipron. Their MySpace is http://www.myspace.com/flipron and, if Wikipedia is to be believed, they've been likened to Tom Waits, Syd Barrett and The Kinks. They're a little bluesy. Oh and they've got accordians and slide guitars and shit. They're also great live, I saw them in a tiny French village and they were good even there. It was also me who personally persuaded them to add some of their songs to Last.fm.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2007, 13:18
    Ok, now I'll give it a try. I guess it will get a bit difficult for me to explain the brilliance of a band, not using my mother language but lets see.

The band I would like to recommend is called Fette Breite (Fat Width). It's a german HipHop -Band and the brilliant thing is, they are combining the swabian dialect (a south-german dialect in nowadays only used by old people or countrymen) with hardcore-gangster lyrics. The lyrics are very funny and ironic and not to be taken to seriously.
    The whole band is just a funny project by three talented guys.

You can download a lot of their songs on their homepage. It might be that those of you, who don't understand german can't see the brilliance of it, but just give it a try, it's really worth the time.
    Because even if you don't understand, what they are talking about, the beats are great!

Edited by a deleted user on 2 Aug 2007, 11:04
  • Smiedideldi said:
    Ok, now I'll give it a try. I guess it will get a bit difficult for me to explain the brilliance of a band, not using my mother language but lets see.

The beand I would like to recommend is called Fette Breite (Fat Width).
    quote]

It reminds me of Lord of the Weed ( http://www.lotw.de/ ) It has the same silly noises from time to time :D

• "cocorosie"

I like cocorosie.. vaguely.

Lets add Psapp to that.

http://www.last.fm/group/Psapp

I lead their group and have links to several music videos. They have at least three songs you can hear from their homepage. The one I recommend most would be "The Words", although (if Tricycle is one of the songs) Tricycle is more popular.

• check out Neutral Milk Hotel. Either you love it or hate it.

• I love it.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Dec 2007, 14:09
    Ceal said:
    Ulver.

Ulver are awesome.

Ad the Ulver song you have is from there early black metal/folk times. There new stuff sounds like a totally different band.

Also hats off to the Minus The Bear fan. Another amazing band.

I'm going to recommend Converge. They are the most intense, powerful band I have ever heard. The album Jane Doe is the best to start with, but I warn you. You will need to be interested in extreme music to enjoy them.

Another band worth checking out is Godspeed You! Black Emperor if you haven't they are one of the best post-rock bands ever. One of the best bands ever from any genre in my view. Beautiful music by a Canadian 9 member band.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.