• Do you hear your thoughts in your head while thinking?

Like... if they're spoken with your voice? It's always like that for me. Almost everything that goes through my head.... I don't hear them only if I'm very concentrated on doing something. Like playing a game or doing a math problem or something. It's kind of annoying sometimes. For example if I try to fell asleep, but I'm not very tired, I start thinking (talking :D) and therefore can't fall asleep...

I've always thought that it's like that for everybody, but I asked some friends and they said that they hear their thoughts only if they're thinking about some difficult problem or something like that, so I started to be curious about it.

• Ohh!! Myy!..
    I have that too. Sometimes I think in English. And the other time in Dutch. And when I want to go to sleep i cant stop talking (thinking)

All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
    I like watching the puddles gather rain
  • yea! same thing with me too, but when im trying to sleep and i keep talking(thinking) i use to argue with myself... i think its funny...

Try. Fail. Repeat.
  • Well yeah, I "hear" them all the time.. but its not really like hearing them.. because that voice.. I mean.. I don't hear the voice I usually speak with.. i does not have any sound or maybe even a gender :D i would say the term "stream of consciousness" is the closest description that can be made :) and yeah, it's sometimes hard to fall asleep because of it :D

• Ahahahaha we're all crazy ! but that happens to me almost every night O.o

• fading_reality said:
    Well yeah, I "hear" them all the time.. but its not really like hearing them.. because that voice.. I mean.. I don't hear the voice I usually speak with.. i does not have any sound or maybe even a gender :D i would say the term "stream of consciousness" is the closest description that can be made :) and yeah, it's sometimes hard to fall asleep because of it :D

Well I can hear them with my voice or with a voice I choose. Which can be cool, because I can actually listen to music only in my head if I know the song well enough. :D Or running an eventual conversation with a friend. But the second had its downsides in the past - when I was little there were times when I wasn't sure if a certain conversation was really spoken or I only have imagined it. :D

• i have the same thing.

• Haha me too! And yeah, you're all right... i speak spanish, but everytime i catch myself thinking in english, kinda weird... might sound pretentious, but it's true!

• Kaoz21 said...
    • User
    • 19 Aug 2009, 18:11
    I don't just hear my thoughts i talk to my self all the time! as if i had someone else in my head! i sometimes think in english some other in my language (spanish). It's kinda cool..!
    I also thought that it happens with everybody haha.
    And yes.. i've had nights like that too!!

• Yeeeah, that's kinda funny. Even if someone is talking to me in German, I start to think in English. It works but eehm, it's a bit scary, isn't it? :D

That's actually a pretty interessting theme! :D

So I asked a couple of friends and they know this ''oh-damn-I-wanted-to-sleep-but-now-I'm-just-thinking-what-keeps-me-awake'' -'problem'too. I guess everybody knows this ''voices'' in their had, they just don't focus on it like we do :D

• xCaru said...
    • User
    • 23 Aug 2009, 22:46
    Haha and I start debating with myself o.O

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Aug 2009, 09:20
    Hearing my thoughts is quite common unfortunetely and sometimes seems kinda distracting. The strangest is I used to write (internally ofc) detailed (that was the biggest problem I guess :P) scenarios of various things to happen or alternatives of past events before I fell asleep :? Luckily it's gone now because it kept me in insomnia sometimes for an hours o_O These were like some higher states of contemplation, creepy somehow.
    Obviously (as I read your posts) - nevertheless I'm from Poland and speak polish - those thoughts are sometimes in polish, sometimes in english - and I can't control it, wtf? ;d

• Thinking is weird when you think about it.

I don't think I hear my voice while talking, it's more of another thing. Like...I can't describe it, it's there's a small echo. I am pretty confused all the time, especially in new situations and can't really think right through, it's more like I have to note everything done.

I guess I am a visual and audible person, than.

At night, I listen to music to fall asleep, because otherwise there's this echo and it's empty.

An empty echo.

• I am 25 years old, over a year ago I lost the ability to hear my voice/thoughts in my head while thinking, reading, etc. I remember what it was like for most of my life and it was similar to what everyone describes on this forum. One weekend I had a shooting pain down the middle of my brain that lasted for most of the day and I had trouble sleeping that night. Every time I tried to relax the pain would get worse. There was no other effect on my body. The next day I could no longer hear the voice. It happened during a year where I had a lot of stress in my life and my anxiety level was high. I was on Xanax for a short time, but I cannot remember if I tapered off the drug. The drug is known to cause seizures after discontinued use...but my dosage was also not high. So basically I have asked a few doctors and have had a CT scan, but no clear answer yet. When I get insurance I will do a PET scan or functional MRI. I am still able to think/read/ do all the normal functions...but I am not able to "hear." I have searched online for the region in my brain that could have been spontaneously damaged and caused this, but i am not able to find an answer. The region that hurt looks similar to the cingulate sulcus. But there does not seem to be a correlation in function. It is interesting to see that people have wondered about this. Perhaps I am the only case in the world in which one cannot hear their thoughts but used to be able to. I also went through a period of time in which it was hard for me to deal with living with this problem. I have a B.S in Microbiology, earned before the incident, so I was highly functional. For a period of time after the incident , I thought that I could no longer learn/read and i was just going to be severely challenged...even though it did not appear I had any trouble. I am back in college now and doing great. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier for me to memorize my textbook material if I was able to once again "hear" my complex thought process. But somehow I manage =)

• Soshte said...
    • User
    • 14 Nov 2009, 20:02
    Personally, I hear thoughts when I'm trying to sleep or doing anything with my eyes closed; and I don't only hear my own voice, but other people's also; specially people who I talked with in previous moments. Kinda annoying really.

• Nice question! got me thinking.

I guess if im in my bed, and have gone over everything i will start talking to myself. But not on a usual account you know. Yes! i do talk to myself when solving or thinking real hard about something, like 'you know this' etc... but i dont end up telling people if im alittle crazy or not. Shamejob.

• that happens to me all the time actually right now when i am writing here hhhmmm... that weird. hmmm.. i wonder why i am hearing some other voices in my head too hmmmmmmm... you put me thinking arrrrrrrgggghhhh!!! it just won't stop now for ages *_*

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Jan 2010, 06:07
    It happens a lot to me, especially if I'm deprived of sleep, then I'll sometimes even talk to myself and debate.

A quite fun thing, in a weird humorous way is that the more sleep-deprived I am, the more annoying it gets, the more annoying it gets, the more difficult it is to fall asleep.

• "Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
  • Ooooo.... I talk a lot with myself in my head :) But outside I'm a man of a few words.

• Laurizm said...
    • User
    • 27 Jan 2010, 04:03
    The same happens to me hear. Im actually "hearing" myself in english right now while i write xD.
    And i also have discussions with myself. Sometimes i even speak with an english "voice" and answer with a spanish voice.
    I thought that this "hearing" thing happened to everyone too :P
    Sometimes its annoying, but on the other side, I love it. The problem is that sometimes talking in my head isnt enough, and i end up saying some parts out loud without almost noticing.... Even when im on the street ^^'

"...and how life is very short and needs to be appreciated and enjoyed through work that is satisfying and friends and romance and dogs and music and food and charity and kindness and decency."

http://somethingxblue.tumblr.com/
  • I do this all the time. I rarely talk to people, so instead I just think in my head that I'm talking to them. I think about talking to people and think what they'll say to me. I always do this before or after a conversation with someone (or if I want to have a conversation with someone) and I can't shut it off. =(

I also do this with fictional people too, like after I've read a book or seen a TV show, I think about talking to the characters and living out the story.
    I have trouble sleeping and concentrating because of it, but I kind of like it because I am never really lonely. It always keeps my mind busy.
    I wish I could learn to shut it off when I want to, though.

Maybe someone could create a group for this hearing-your-thoughts-in-your-head phenomenon?

• SaySay116 said:
    --erased this since it was alot of text

I have the exact same thing, talking / thinking, not in Dutch, but in English.. When I'm walking in the city for example, people passing by, and I just start talking with myself.. hmmz. But yeah, you're never lonely, hardly ever bored. It does get annoying when you want it to stop and it won't. :(

Will you be the queen? And I'll be your clown
    You can sit beside me when the world comes down.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Nov 2010, 10:09
    all the time

• Always! =DD I'm doing it right now!! Well, sometimes it's boring, because I only talk with myself and I can't talk to anyone else about my thoughts and feelings, I am too much shy and introverted, so it's too much difficult to me.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.