Best Software for Managing Large Library?

• Best Software for Managing Large Library?

I've got a mac and have been using iTunes but it's been slowing down my computer more and more as my library continues to grow...any suggestions?

• [spam]

[spam]

"What if I'm a snowstorm burning?"
    -Emilie Autumn, What If
    Edited by hjbardenhagen on 2 Jul 2013, 10:53
  • for a PC I'd recommend using foobar2000.

For a mac, I really have absolutely no idea since I don't own one... Sorry.

Edit: The day I posted this I hit my first major bug with f2k ... I think there is a God and he hates me.

Edited by evilpandawrath on 31 Jan 2008, 01:15
  • [spam]

[spam]

"What if I'm a snowstorm burning?"
    -Emilie Autumn, What If
    Edited by hjbardenhagen on 2 Jul 2013, 10:53
  • there's a database search component for foobar that might take the place of a search feature. From what I've seen of it, though, it's a little confusing to use. There's also Facets. This is useful since it has many different ways of displaying your entire database (genre, artist, album, year... Basically, if there's tag metadata for it, Facets can sort it that way.) Oh and it has a search function built into it too. If you want either of them, just download them and move the .dll files to foobar2000\components then restart foobar and they should be installed.

Oh and there's settings you can fuck about with in foobar to sort artists/albums/songs etc. however you want in the playlist and stuff, if that's what you're looking for.

• Szuflad said...
    • User
    • 23 Jan 2008, 12:27
    Only MPD.

• I actually reverted to Media Player 10, after problems with 11 - it wiped my music library (including play counts and ratings) 3 times in 4 months. I used MusicMatch in the past, but I had one version which was much weaker than previous ones, around the time that Media Player became more full-featured, so I became a Bill Gates whore... I will try Foobar, though I hope the search and playlist features aren't too much worse than Media Player's.

• mitrado said...
    • User
    • 11 Feb 2008, 21:49

Well, no Mac here... I'm an Amiga Lover...

Nowadays I curse myself for using a PC... but I have no other option!
    Damn Bill Gates, why did he have to ruin the computer I loved? Stupid asshole!

Anyway... I stay away from Window$ and as such, I use Amarok to manage my music library! :-D
    There's no better option!

• personally i still like and prefer itunes to tag and sort through my music but i use winamp to play it.

/Slash
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Feb 2008, 10:04
    I have to say, I'm kind of an iTunes whore now...XD I love the organization system in iTunes, much more so than WMP. And I am -stickler- for organizing my music.

• tyang said...
    • User
    • 5 Mar 2008, 04:01
    I think I'm outdated.
    I still manage them manually(like in windows the folders, haha) then queue the ones I wanna listen to on winamp.

heh. I'm used to it now though. I have my music in the folders arranged by artists in alphabetical order to speed up my search.

• marenco said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2008, 21:51

Media Monkey

Slices and dices large collections in a jiffy,

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

MK

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Apr 2008, 11:27
    Media Monkey is great for organising, especially renaming based on tags, or retagging based on names. but WMP has a stylish look and much better interface for playing and browsing. www.avsoft.nl has an awesome tool to use in conjunction with WMP that scans for errors with album art, folder structure, Album Artist etc. Between these three tools my music is well and truly sorted.

I don't really like itunes because as far as I'm aware they don't support an album artist as well as a track artist in the tags. but i may be wrong on that.

• GUHU said...
    • User
    • 4 May 2008, 06:44
    My only tool is Mediamonkey. The User interface was getting better with release 3. All further wishes are fulfilled with user made scripts. So you can find all errors with album art if you want.

The only drawback is the performance. With a huge bunch of tracks ( > 100K), the search gets slow. A Rescan of all my songs took several hours.

• I use Winamp, the Media Library works great for me, but the best about Winamp I find is the Squaresoft Advanced Crossfading Plugin. But now I've just installed foobar2000+faces+an extra database search component and now it's scanning my music folders. Takes a very long time of course but I'm curious how much I will like it.

• I have over 130G of music (about half from my own vinyl, some cds, many obscure stuff from slsk, and lots of local/friend's recordings) and I need to organize.
    Sorry for the long post but I need help...

<p>
    I just got a new system. I have room to mess around before I put any of it into the new drive. I want it to be sleek, neat, and tidy (as opposed to its current state!)
    <p><p>
    I don't want to - hand-label, construct albums by hand, tag one-by-one, etc etc...I need a good, solid mass tagger that won't screw it up and isn't expensive (or is free, in a perfect world)
    <p>
    I have tried : mediamonkey
    <p>
    It allows tons of misspelled and badly written tags to rule the day (anyone want to listen to "TiNaTuRner omg the best track 01"?-I think my sister ripped that album last week when I was on vacation.) and while I am keeping it because I love the player, I don't necessarily like the tagging capability. (Unless someone knows something I don't and wants to share...I have the free version. )
    <p>
    I have used in the past: itunes
    <p>
    F^ck that noise. No way. Besides it lags, even on this shiny brand new fast as hell system...plus I hate the player.
    <p>
    I have used: WMP/Winamp
    <p>
    once again, nope. Doesn't handle the volume very well. I think I just have too much stuff for it to deal with- plus, tagging with it? A manual entry nightmare. I don't like the player, either.

<p>
    I have messed with : tag&rename
    <p>
    very confusing. I have no idea how to set up the masks so that my tracks don't lose their information. I think I'm doing something wrong. Besides, with the free version...I'd have to freedb each album manually. Sorry, I don't have three days free right now to sit at the desk. I know that this is only the free version, and the pay version does have multi- function for that, but I have no idea how well it works and have found it so confusing to work with so far that I am reluctant to pay for something I'm not sure how to use.
    <p>
    I am considering: magictagger
    <p>
    from the picard people. Anyone ever use this? How well does it work? IS it simple, or will I have to sit and sort out a mask that's hard to build?
    <p>
    I am avoiding picard because I don't want to go manually through each album (or "cluster", as some would say)

<p>
    I have looked at: foobar
    <p>
    Once again, hard to use, hard to navigate, and I am not l33t enough to deal with scripts and the like. Also it seems like I'd once again have to do 130G manually, album by album...

<p>
    (you may have noticed that I like minimal and simple interfaces, but not ones which hide my file structure. I also hate rounded edges with an unholy passion, really- itunes/wmp....ughly)

<p>

Mediamonkey will be the player I use after the mass organizing is done. I do not care much about additional information tags- I am concerned with file structure first and foremost.
    <p><p>
    My organization so far is
    <br>
    drive/latter of alphabet/artist/album/track title.format
    <p>
    I would like it to show up in my mediaplayer as it ought to. Anyone have any advanced advice for me? Anyone have any personal stories? Anyone have any guidance on tag&rename or any of the programs I am considering trying out? Or reccomendations for ones I have not heard of?
    <p>

I need serious help. You can pm me/email me if you don't want to take up space here...or post here if you think it'll help someone else who is here.

<p>
    Also, I'm on a new install of XP Sp3, all music files are on one external HD for use, and I don't mind if the process takes time- as long as I can be drinking a beer in the garden while it happens.

• haha damn...sorry

• GUHU said...
    • User
    • 15 Jun 2008, 21:05
    resonanteye sagte:
    I have over 130G of music (about half from my own vinyl, some cds, many obscure stuff from slsk, and lots of local/friend's recordings) and I need to organize.
    Sorry for the long post but I need help...

Take again Mediamonkey and have a look at www.mediamonkey.com/forum

There are a lot of scripts which expand Mediamonkey capabilities, especially to take control over the tags.

I managed it to organize my 1,3 TB of songs.

GuHu

• I've been readin the forum quite a lot over there, lately. Most of what I could use it for are paid services- they only work in multi-drag mode when you've paid for the "gold" program version...

I'll take a second look, maybe they'll have a script for organizing at least

• I've seen very positive reactions aobut this: Tagscanner. I tried it too a year ago, but I couldn't get used to it. Maybe that's because I'm used to Tag & Rename. But the interface of Tagscanner looks very nice, and it has lots of features. Since you couldn't get used to Tag & Rename, maybe this is perfect for you. And there's no trial version of it, 100% freeware.
    Here's the homepage

• Oooh! I've been thinking about looking for a free replacement for Tag&Rename too, thanks for sharing the link. Now I don't even have to search for it myself.

• I'll try that one out, thanks for the suggestion! someone else told me to try godfather, but I haven't unpacked it yet. I am not sure if it's free or not, though...

• Re: Well, no Mac here... I'm an Amiga Lover...

For the Linux inclined.... Rythmbox. Comes installed by default in Ubuntu. Haved synced my iPod yet, but it has a very similar interface to iTunes, which is good because I am anal when it comes to keeping my music sorted

@mitrado: Good to hear from a fellow Gates hater :P

"In a world without walls or fences, why do we need Windows or Gates?"

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Jul 2008, 05:08
    Amarok, for me (Linux). I actually like it better than Rythmbox, but I'm not using it with an iPod, keep in mind.

• so glad things were backed up, I corrupted the drive
    trying out tagscanner. not sure how it managed that!

I'm still in the quagmire. ugh.

Right now I'm slowly doing it manually. by hand. 200 Gigs. damn this is a chore.

I tried picard seriously again too, and it mislabelled about 10g of my more rare music. No way I am touching that again, the majority of my collection is NOT mainstream releases and it will probably just mislabel everything again.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.