When did you first listen to pavement?

• pkojima said...
    • User
    • 6 Sep 2007, 03:47
    I first listen to Pavement in 1998, I bought Terror Twilight cause a i had read a good review of the album in a Brazilian Music Magazine. I was just curious to know what's all about then i found out in record store in a reasonable price then i decided to buy. I remember it was just like love at first listening...

• jeewo said...
    • User
    • 9 Sep 2007, 22:20
    Carrot Rope was the first Pavement tune i remember hearing, probably on radio 1.
    I bought the single, then the new album, then the rest of the albums.
    Managed to see them live on the final UK tour just before they split, then i've seen Malkmus on every tour since then

• Ten years ago I saw them for the first time on "Cut your hair" video, I didn't like the video, but the song had something, but not enough to pay them more attention than...Silverchair, and here I am, buying all the deluxe, special and whatever editions...

• I used to download a lot of music in the January of this year in library of my high school:) Wowee Zowee SSE was one of these albums, and it's my favourite all-time album now.

Was mach' ich bloss auf diesem Jung?
  • i heard shady lane on a mixtape that an older friend had made, that we listened to on our way home from a strokes show back in 2001. i thought it was weird, but they've been my favourite band ever since.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2008, 21:13
    it was the big cat festival in hamburg, germany, in 1995. the weather was terrible, it was raining the hole day. pavement was headliner, and the band rocked like hell. i went there to see blumfeld but the real highlight was PAVEMENT!!!!
    unfortunately i never saw them live again!!! RIP!!!!

• sopedog said...
    • User
    • 18 Feb 2008, 02:36
    my brother used to come home from college and on occassion he would be sitting in the basement listening to music, this being when iwas in the 7th or 8th grade, he had just gotten luxe and reduxe.. the when i walked down he was listening to in the mouth of a desert... i dont think i had ever heard anything so amazing in my entire life (im guessing no new band will blow me away as much as the first time i heard pavment), i immediatley got on the internet and ordered luxe and reduxe..and then christmas came and i got la's desert origins...and it continues like that until i got all there stuff and will never get over how good every song on every album is......bands shouldnt be this good....only pavement

• my excellent friend (sopedog) had long told me of the excellence Pavement put into sound waves, and while perusing the import bin at a tower records closing sale i stumbled upon the Shady Lane disc that rocked my world the second it entered my cd player in the parking lot. soon as i got back to my duplex i let him know music could never be the same, he mailed me the deluxe editions of Slanted and Enchanted and Crooked Rain Crooked Rain. those four discs (later complemented by other Pavement albums, of course) got me through the last (and easily worst) two years of high school, and Pavement has been an immovable member of my playlists ever since. Pavement has easily taken the 'favorite band of all time' position in my life, and i can't see them easily being replaced. the moral of this story?
    Pavement ist rad!

• I feel stupid, because I can't even remember anymore. All those late-night sessions of just listening to Pavement while trying to sleep, or spinnin' the discs in a walkman n' stuff, has taken their toll. =(

• I bought Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain for ten dollars and became an instant fan. Range Life changed my life.

• When I was in 7th grade I was listening to a lot of hardcore punk then during a class trip to Washington my History teacher told me to check out S+E I did and have been hooked since.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Feb 2008, 23:07
    A friend sent me a few songs in summer 2005, a month or so before I started high school. It took me a while to fully get into them but now they are one of my top favorite bands of all time.

• i have a sort of embarrassing story about that! i think it was in 2000 when i was a sophomore in college back when napster was huge, and i was on there looking for leaked tracks from Lateralus, months before it came out. Anyway I downloaded what I thought was 'Schism,' except it wasn't Schism. I guess some misanthropic pavement fan decided to rename "the hexx" as Schism to play a trick on retarded tool fanatics such as myself.

at the time i had no idea who pavement was and it wasn't until much later when i stumbled on terror twilight and put the two together. since then they and malkmus have risen to the top of my favorites list by far. Tool who?

• When I was fourteen, a boy I liked burned me a mix CD. On the CD was Shady Lane and Blue Hawaiian. He didn't give me a track list, so I had no idea what these songs were called or by. But I fell in love with them. Then, when I was 15, another boy I liked told me Pavement was his favorite band. We'd always lie up on the grassy hill overlooking the pool over the summer and listen to Gold Soundz. I later downloaded some of their music and soon found that the two songs I had been in love with for so long were indeed Pavement. All My Friends was the first song of theirs that I downloaded by myself and came to love acknowledging that it was this band that was responsible for the musical bliss I was feeling. My obsession blossomed.

Two years later, Pavement is my favorite band. They speak to me like no other and my friends are so sick of me referencing Pavement every time I get a chance. Words cannot describe the undying love I feel for this band.

• my brother gave me -crooked rain crooked rain- as a gift, then it becames one of my favorites 90´s album.

then i saw them on the space ghost show jeje.

pssssswiiiiiing
    • Yamber said...
    • User
    • 27 Jul 2008, 19:44
    i've been listening to them for about 17 years
    cause my momma got into them when she was preggers with me
    @_@

• heard gold soundz randomly like in 2002/3. not that long ago but whatever

i remember thinking, "holy shit. this is the best song i've ever heard." i promptly bought crooked rain crooked rain, listened to it for months on end and then got slanted and enchanted. malkmus' own pig lib was another record i got around the same time.

boring stuff i guess but definitely one of the best bands ever.

• hmmmm. I downloaded Summer Babe and Cut Your Hair randomly on limewire in 9th grade then I kinda forgot about them. Cut to like 3 years later,I downloaded Slanted & Enchanted because I was browsing all those top ~indie~ albums lists that they have everywhere *CLICHECLICHECLICHE* and the rest,as the say,is history.

• Wow i feel old reading all your comments...
    i discovered Pavement in 1992 when "Slanted and Enchanted" came out. I was 16.
    French DJ Bernard Lenoir used to play "Trigger Cut" on his radio show.
    Didn't like it at first but became an addict after hearing a live transmission of their live show in Rennes (with Sonic Youth and Sugar on the bill too).
    Bought every release since and saw them 3 times live.
    Even covered "Loretta's scars" and "In the mouth a desert" with my old band and named my record label Loretta. A HUGE influence on me.
    That's it, for me : 90's=Pavement !

• 1996ish. The same guy who suggested I listen to Nirvana suggested I listen to Pavement. After 10 seconds of Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain I was staring at my stereo slackjawed and the hair on my arms was standing on end. I lived in rural New Hampshire and was in high school then, and by the time I could travel two hours to Boston to see shows they'd broken up.

• It was round about the summer of 1994. I moreso remember that it was the summer before my junior year in high school. The first song I heard was Perfume-V and I remember so clearly the sort of rush I felt. I didn't realize that they made music like that. It just fit like a glove. Still does. My favorite band for like 13 years now.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Apr 2009, 20:35
    A dude on this forum I used to visit would always mention them as his favourite band so I decided to check them out as we had a similar taste. I downloaded Crooked Rain and while I wasn't exactly taken at first because I wasn't used to the sound I was determined to get into it. After listening to it to death and it basically dominating my iPod i bought Brighten the Corners. Thats when they became one of my favourite bands, man that album is so fucking amazing. Bought one of my best mates a copy too and now we are always singing their tunes stupidly together. Now have all albums and they are my tied favourite band. AWESOME.

even have a pavement t shirt XD

• Just two years ago.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Sep 2009, 19:44
    Thanks to my local public library, in 2002 or 2003...

• I must have been 5 or 6 years old. My sister, who is 14 years older than me, listened to Pavement a lot in the 90s. The song that sticks out for me from that time is Shady Lane, so I guess that's my first memory of a Pavement song.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.