Christian Prog?

• Christian Prog?

Here's a list to ponder. These are considered as 'christian progressive rock artists' on the CPR website -

Ajalon
    Akacia
    America Gomorrah
    Apple Pie
    Atomic Opera
    Dave Bainbridge
    Dave Beegle
    Doug Bowers
    Gene Crout
    Divine In Sight
    Everlasting Arms
    Flagship
    Farpoint
    Mike Florio
    Randy George
    Glass Hammer
    Ground Zero Project
    Iona
    Katholicus
    Phil Keaggy
    Kinetic Element
    Ted Leonard
    Kerry Livgren
    Mike Lockett
    Navigator
    Neal Morse
    Eric Parker
    Orphan Project
    Parable 51
    Proto-Kaw
    Pursuit
    Revelation Project
    Salem Hill
    Shadowstar
    Simon Apple
    Soulful Terrain
    Supernal Endgame
    Syzygy
    Ten Point Ten
    Theophonic Cloud
    Time Horizon
    Torman Maxt
    Unitopia
    Vertical Alignment
    Visual Cliff
    Voyager Project
    David Wallimann
    Greg Wollan
    Young Earth

How many of these are in your collection and for how much longer?

Uncle Jack knows the song of the hedgerows...
  • Well...

what is this all about?
    To me it doesn't matter if they are c or something else.
    It's only about music.

Verhasst ist mir das Folgen und das Führen-F. Nietzsche- Think!
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Sep 2012, 23:09

Re: Christian Prog?

Oldprogger64 said:
    Here's a list to ponder....

Ahem - I admit to having these artists in my collection...

Ajalon
    Akacia
    Apple Pie
    Farpoint
    Glass Hammer
    Iona
    Kerry Livgren (yes, but NOT as a solo artist)
    Neal Morse
    Orphan Project
    Proto-Kaw
    Salem Hill
    Syzygy
    Unitopia
    Visual Cliff
    Voyager Project
    Greg Wollan

... and now, thanks to Oldprogger64, I shall actively seek out the others!!

This does NOT mean that I am a "believer" in any sense of the word, but I do think that artists, especially like Neal Morse, have a right to choose for themselves what they "believe" in...

I happen to really LIKE Neal Morse, and can quite comfortably listen to him in any of his proggy incarnations... i.e: as a solo artist, or with Spock's Beard, Transatlantic or even as Morse Portnoy George...

He is one of THE most accomplished singer/composer/musicians we have today!!!

:-))

• jbeck1 said...
    • User
    • 23 Sep 2012, 05:10
    I don't understand why you think we should remove a group from our collections just because they label themselves a Christian band? Honestly, I listen to the interplay of the music so closely that most of the time I have no idea what they are singing about anyway. And as an aside, though I like him, I don't know that I would call Phil Keagy progressive. OK...ramble over.

• Mark_H said...
    • User
    • 23 Sep 2012, 07:02
    It's another bastardization of the word Progressive, where in some US regions, Progressive Rock means Christian Rock, which means that by accident I've picked up a whole bunch of those artists.

Sometimes there is a clear crossover into Prog and as long as the music isn't preaching then I'm happy to listen.

• jbeck1 said:
    I don't understand why you think we should remove a group from our collections just because they label themselves a Christian band?
    The suggestion was not that you should remove them but to explore the notion that by 'knowing' these bands/artists are considered 'christian' would make a difference to your perception of them musically and so for you, it doesn't.

I'm with Roy that Neal Morse is one of prog's top performer today and I'm certainly leaving his (and his former/current bands) albums in my collection.

Not got a lot of time for the others listed although Glass Hammer, Salem Hill and Unitopia are decent enough but can be (in Mark's words) a bit too preachy at times for me, but still they stay in there on their occasional musical quality.

Uncle Jack knows the song of the hedgerows...
  • Transatlantic's The Whirlwind immediately came to mind. I love that album/song, and I'm anti-religious personally.

• amatala said...
    • Subscriber
    • 24 Sep 2012, 09:14
    I have to say I did not know some of the above listed bands were Christian Prog bands - but this does not change the way I feel about them...

As for Neal Morse - every time I listen to his albums I can't stop thinking about the South Park Episode "Christian Rock hard"... so it's hard to keep a straight face on while listening... but the music really is top notch though...

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.