• Dark Fantasy

What is dark fantasy really about?
    Any suggestion of artists, books, films in this genre?

Are you a fan of this genre of fantasy feel free to recomend any artwork, artist or other cultural explorations into the world of dark fantasy.

• Narsilion

One of my favorite projects dealing with a dark fantasy world.
    Amazingly atmospheric, and highly recommended.

• I like it. Never heard before so thank you Vacantwinterday. I think they (at least after listening to a couple of songs) belong in the same category as Dead Can Dance.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Aug 2008, 19:02
    Music: Caprice and Artesia. Though the whole Prikosnovenie label is pretty much fantasy oriented. Omnia's version of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" is a must-hear as well.

Books: Anne Rice (vampires), Stan Nicholls (orcs), Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and Raymond E Feist's Faerie Tale (he's my favorite writer anyway, but the rest is more high fantasy and sword & sorcery).

Films: Interview With The Vampire (again Anne Rice), one of the many Phantom Of The Opera versions and the excellent B horror/BDSM comedy Blood Gnome.

Artwork: besides the obvious Luis Royo, HR Giger and Victoria Francés I'd also like to recommend Markus Mayer (no website atm, but some of his stuff is here).

Games: Chaos Arena (game made by Omnia).

• Keep the suggestions comming!
    Ordo Funebris and stuff like that is for me a bit to much folk oriented and I lack the feel of fantasy. But I am personaly always open minded for folk too.

Have any of you read R.A Salvatore?

Here are some suggestion of films:
    Of course there are many older ones, but here some pretty recent.

The Reckoning
    Wolfhound (Russias/Latvias most expensive fantasy film) (Volkodav iz roda Serykh Psov)
    Night Watch
    Dracula - The true story
    El Laberinto del fauno
    The Prestige
    Musa

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Aug 2008, 21:15
    Alas, I have not read RA Salvatore (yet). This is mostly because I prefer reading in my own language, even though English is not a problem at all. RA Salvatore has not been translated to Dutch, except for one Star Wars book.

El Laberinto Del Fauno; I found this one more a war/drama with minor fantasy elements. I was a bit disappointed by this film really, even if it is a pretty good one. I should've known better than to have expectations..

Night Watch (Nochnoy Dozor) was very enjoyable indeed, as was the sequel; Dnevnoy Dozor

The Prestige was very nice. It made me think of The Illusionist, probably because I saw that one a few days earlier than The Prestige.

More video suggestions: The Brothers Grimm and perhaps the Blade films and series (though they are more action oriented..). And in anime: Hauru No Ugoku Shiro (Howl's Moving Castle) and of course the excellent Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi (Spirited Away). Perhaps even Edward Scissorhands and Sweeney Todd. Lastly the weird Labyrinth, with David Bowie as the goblin king.

Of course, the PC game Dungeon Keeper (+sequel)! This one is simply excellent. Play the evil side, slay the good knights and dwarfs with vampires, wizards, spiders, demons, hell hounds, skeletons, ghosts and eventually with the horned reaper. I played this game for many hours

Another PC game is Sacrifice, where you can choose between good/neutral/evil paths. I haven't played this a lot, but it's certainly fun.

Sacrifice makes me remember Populous III as well, even though it's not that fantasy oriented..

I'm going offtopic.. A sign to stop writing =]

• Salvator is great. Also try George R.R. Martin for some pretty brutal fantasy. Main Characters die frequently!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.