Openminded Metalheads or Ecletic Music Lovers?

• I am metal head I swear! open minded even.

It's shit, man. WTF?
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jun 2010, 16:42
    AlthalusDushman said:
    but really there are no girls here anyway so i'd gather you can write whatever you want :)
    /

Hey, I'm a girl! Lol. But most metalhead girls I know wouldn't give a fuck about capslock letters anyway =_= but you never know, there are some pretty weenie girls out there.

I will admit that on my list of featured artists, metal does not seem that prominent. I still need to build up my artists lists and such since I am a somewhat new member. One would notice that OOMPH! and Rammstein would be the most prominent metal bands in my list, along with punk/rock Green Day and the more grunge-type Breaking Benjamin, whereas Within Temptation and Avenged Sevenfold and other such artists have zero plays. I think that to be an open-minded metalhead is to embrace metal and any of one's more preferred sub-genres of metal whilst enjoying just as many other genres of music at the same time. However, one should love metal to join this group, not have only one or two Metallica songs alongside The Fray and then claim to be a an open-minded metalhead.

• Well, I think everything has already been said. My opinion: This is a group for metalheads, meaning folks who listen to metal and not only to several tracks. The whole point of this group is that there are a lot of guys in the metalhead scene who won't listen to anything else but metal. Any other style of music is evil for them. II mean, it's ok, everyone can listen to the type of music he or she wants to. But this group is for people who mainly listen to metal, but who love to listen to other styles of music as well, even hip hop, classic or pop. They don't care about genre limits. Look at my charts and you'll see that I mostly listen to metal, but also have a lot of artists in my charts having nothing to do with metal at all such as Zappa or Eminem. It's because I'm of the opinion: A good song is a good song. But regarding my charts containing mostly metal bands, I call myself an openminded Metalhead. And that's what I think this group is here for.

• If you don't limit the group to people who are primarily interested in metal, it becomes another eclectic music group, and then there's no point keeping it. Merge with "open-minded listeners" or another parent group.

• Maybe 10% of what I listen to is metal. Should I rethink my membership of this group? No, because I'm a metalhead. If someone wants to kick me out of this group... I couldn't care less.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Oct 2010, 17:06
    ^ this.

• Kennoth said...
    • User
    • 23 Oct 2010, 17:00
    I guess I'm openminded enough...

What breaks my pride, will break your skull. I bring the end, just like an Archangel.

• id consider myself a more electic music loving person as some of my favourite bands arent even metal. Of course i love metal as well \m/.

• See above; I'm pretty eclectic and would give most music types a fair crack of the whip, but the pride of place on my iPod is Metal, be it Thrash, Sludge, Stoner etc etc....

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Dec 2010, 22:58
    I really like dark, haunting, heavy, and/or ear-raping music. There's fair amount of such among various metal subgenres, but I don't mind looking for it in electronic music, jazz, or whatever else, that's why I've joined this group. Pretty simple, I guess.

• I'm a metalhead because the majority of what I listen to is metal or some derivative of metal. The majority of my favourites are, anyway. I'm openminded because I like to think the rest is a pretty eclectic mix of other genres.

I think being openminded also has something to do with being understanding of other people's tastes. I know a lot of metalheads (and fans of other genres, but whatever) that can be a giant bag of dicks to anyone who doesn't like the same bands as they do. I know how annoying that is, and I try not to do it to other people for that reason.

• Hanyou7 said...
    • User
    • 25 Mar 2011, 03:52
    What does it mean to be a metalhead? Most of what I listen to is rock, but I consider myself a metalhead because I like heavy, doom, prog, and power metal and listen to it a considerable amount.

So I guess I'd qualify to be kicked out of the group by some peoples' standards, but I just assumed anyone who liked any genre of metal could enter the group.

• KryptoN said...
    • User
    • 25 Mar 2011, 04:20
    Well, the primary idea of the group: A gathering of metal fans (people who have metal as either their favorite genre, or at least as one of their biggest favorites) who are open to trying new things outside of metal without prejudice and who might actively be looking for new non-metal things to try

The meaning of "metalhead" changes depending on who you ask. To be honest, it is a shitty term to use when you want to say something specific, but it is also an easy term to throw around because people will probably understand the very generic level of meaning which is that a "metalhead" is someone who really likes metal.

Latest ratings on RYM:
    • Hanyou7 said...
    • User
    • 25 Mar 2011, 04:34
    Well, some of my favorite bands (Dream Theater, Savatage, Sonata Arctica, Iron Maiden, Symphony X, Nightwish), are pretty much indisputably metal. But I love prog, rock, classical, and jazz about as much. Maybe I'm already openminded? I don't know--most of the people I know who like metal like other genres just as much, with the general idiocy about anything non-metal sucking (which makes no sense...metal's BUILT on blues and even hard rock) restricted to the internet.

I joined this particular group because I think I'm fairly open-minded about music for the most part, but I also happen to like some metal genres as primary favorites. Can't stand most death or black metal, but liking them can't be a requirement for calling oneself a metalhead.

The phenomenon of people who listen to JUST metal or even PRIMARILY metal is rare, I would think. Then again, I'm new to music discussion on the internet.

To be honest, it is a shitty term to use when you want to say something specific, but it is also an easy term to throw around because people will probably understand the very generic level of meaning which is that a "metalhead" is someone who really likes metal.

That's pretty much my view. You listen to some metal bands and enjoy them, you're a metalhead.

• KryptoN said...
    • User
    • 25 Mar 2011, 05:25
    Hanyou7 said:
    Maybe I'm already openminded?

Only you yourself can answer that (which is part of understanding what that term means). There are some utterly terrible threads on this group's forum dedicated to rating other people's "openmindedness" based on the contents of their last.fm profile. The people who participate in this have absolutely no idea what it means to be "openminded" so I'd suggest steering clear of those garbage threads. The only reason I don't lock those threads is because I'm not alone in being one of this group's moderators. If I was the only "founder" of this group I'd lock all those shitty spam game threads in a blink of an eye, especially the openmindedness rating one.

Hanyou7 said:
    The phenomenon of people who listen to JUST metal or even PRIMARILY metal is rare, I would think. Then again, I'm new to music discussion on the internet.

That's really not accurate. The amount of people who primarily listen to metal is quite huge, I'd say. You'll also find out there are tons of people who listen to metal almost exclusively (and maybe some heavy forms of rock in addition).

Latest ratings on RYM:
    • Hanyou7 said...
    • User
    • 25 Mar 2011, 13:51
    The people who participate in this have absolutely no idea what it means to be "openminded" so I'd suggest steering clear of those garbage threads.

Haha, I posted in one. I don't take that kind of stuff too seriously, so I didn't see the harm in it. But if you suggest otherwise, I'll consider it. I frankly like that kind of stuff because it's all in good fun--or at least, sane human beings should take it that way.

That's really not accurate. The amount of people who primarily listen to metal is quite huge, I'd say. You'll also find out there are tons of people who listen to metal almost exclusively (and maybe some heavy forms of rock in addition).

Interesting. Most of the people I've met who listen to metal got into it through some other genres. My interest in classical and prog got me into power metal, for example, which helped me explore some other material (even though I enjoyed Iron Maiden earlier). This is all anecdotal, of course, but again, I think these phenomena are restricted to the internet, at least in the United States. Can't speak for other countries. By the way, I should add that I don't think even listening exclusively to metal is "bad" per se...music is subjective, based on a person's experience. It was merely an observation to contribute to my point that the group shouldn't be overly restricted.

I totally get the point of the group, it's just that in my experience "Openminded Metalheads" aren't scarce--they're the norm. ;) Which is why cutting people off just because they don't listen mostly to metal seems counterproductive in my view. Metal makes up a good chunk of my music library (about 1/3rd, I'd say), and if that's not enough to make me a "metalhead," then well, I think numbers will dwindle considerably. I find the main question in this thread just a tad insulting (not enough to make me angry or sad or any of that), which is why I posted my views.

Sorry, I'm done posting in this thread. Hope I didn't crowd it with pointless opining and discussion.

• KryptoN said...
    • User
    • 25 Mar 2011, 18:05
    You are of course free to post in those "game threads" if you like. My personal opinion, however, is that they are simply worthless. Even as a "passage of time" activity they're just terrible IMO. There is no real discussion on this group's forum anymore, and it's at least partially the fault of those threads that actually plague a big portion of the larger last.fm groups.

I'd say this is one reason why the IRC channel was created. Even though it's quiet and slow these days, the quality of discussion in there is at least meaningful unlike the spamming on this forum.

Latest ratings on RYM:
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Apr 2011, 13:41
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm as open-minded as a metalhead can get. Do I qualify as one? I'd say so, yeah. I've been to enough metal concerts to say that if I don't, then who does? I've also seen just as many DJs perform live. I'd go about listening to Billie Holiday then switch to Woods of Belial, Gareth Emery to Walk the Moon within a ten minute span, pretty fucking eclectic don't you think?

I haven't listened to metal ever since I reset my profile, around a week ago but that is only because I lost every bit of music I had and I had some interesting and obscure stuff on my computer, whatever I could get my hands on, be it albums sent to me from last.fm users, ones I found in second-hand music stores, whatever available to download on websites. I don't see the need to justify myself on here, I'm aware no one is asking me to, but I'm just stating my opinion...and shit.

• bwolas said...
    • User
    • 8 May 2011, 13:21

Re:Openminded Metalheads or Ecletic Music Lovers?

agent_logic said:
    Okay, let us discuss the matter LouIsImmortal brought up in the group shoutbox in a thread. Basically what Lou pointed out was the number of users joining the group lately who hardly have any metal in their charts, and whether they belong here or not.

LouIsImmortal said:
    We're really getting by far too many people joining who don't actually listen to Metal or only listen to one or two faggoth mallcore bands alongside overwhelming amounts of emo pop rock crap. I propose we have a Member Approval join policy to make sure that our 'Openminded Metalheads' actually listen to Metal.

I have seen a couple of them myself. They mostly had Lostprophets, 30 Seconds to Mars and Sum 41 tagged as metal :|. Personally, I believe this is a "openminded METALheads" group, which would require some decent amount of metal in the charts, and then the openminded part kicks in... Plus, there are a few groups out there for "ecletic music tastes", which these people would be better off joining.

So what is your opinion? Are we openminded metalheads or ecletic music lovers? Discuss.

P.S: Lets see if some hot chicks get posting on this thread, seeing this is neither a randomness game nor a masturbatory rating game :P

That just shows that you are closed minded guy.

• I am an open minded Metal head.

I love other genres, but Death Metal will always be home for me

• xxAEON said...
    • User
    • 26 Jun 2011, 12:43
    Well, I wouldn't call myself a 'metalhead', but metal is still my main genre for music. But I'm not afraid to listen to different kind of music. :P

It's always better than being 'closeminded'.

The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.
    www.winneh.blogspot.com
  • KryptoN said:
    You are of course free to post in those "game threads" if you like. My personal opinion, however, is that they are simply worthless. Even as a "passage of time" activity they're just terrible IMO. There is no real discussion on this group's forum anymore, and it's at least partially the fault of those threads that actually plague a big portion of the larger last.fm groups.

I'd say this is one reason why the IRC channel was created. Even though it's quiet and slow these days, the quality of discussion in there is at least meaningful unlike the spamming on this forum.

Dude...
    Relax. Listen to some hip hop or reggae. Or just clear your mind of thoughts with gabber or noise. Not healthy to be so serious.

And if you're serious about those "serious threads", can you give any good suggestions for subjects.

• KryptoN said...
    • User
    • 14 Jul 2011, 02:07
    ShadowFox said:
    Dude...
    Relax. Listen to some hip hop or reggae. Or just clear your mind of thoughts with gabber or noise. Not healthy to be so serious.

Nah man, it is healthy to hate / lay waste on something once in a while. :D Besides, I know my posts often end up way more serious than I intend them to be. It's not like I'm frowning in rage while typing them or anything, lol.

ShadowFox
    And if you're serious about those "serious threads", can you give any good suggestions for subjects.

Just look through the very old dead threads that have a nice amount of replies on this group's forum (going backwards from the last page). Just looking at the topic names there's a much higher percentage of actual discussion topics back there. They all got buried under the "derp, type a band's name here game" threads. But it's alright, I'm pretty sure this won't change anymore and it's what the big last.fm groups all turn into. I know this group hasn't been a place for musical discussion for years and I've accepted that and moved on since I've found better places for that elsewhere.

One thing I just thought of is bumping some of the more interesting threads by sticking them so that they push all the "game threads" out of the first page. Can't believe I never thought of that before tbh. I think I'll do this sometime soon as a test to see if people start posting. Could open a few new ones as well.

Latest ratings on RYM:
  • KryptoN said:
    Just look through the very old dead threads that have a nice amount of replies on this group's forum (going backwards from the last page). Just looking at the topic names there's a much higher percentage of actual discussion topics back there. They all got buried under the "derp, type a band's name here game" threads. But it's alright, I'm pretty sure this won't change anymore and it's what the big last.fm groups all turn into. I know this group hasn't been a place for musical discussion for years and I've accepted that and moved on since I've found better places for that elsewhere.

I've read those threads few times. I'm not a new member. Was member from 2007 to 2010 (december). I was actually almost driven off this group by someone who didn't really listen to metal around 2008/2009. That was because he thought I had too much metal in my charts. After that I started to slowly search limits of my music taste. Because it's kinda limitless I have really hard time to just stop searching. End of 2010 was nightmare also because other members of this group started to think that I don't belong to this group because I have too much non-metal even though my top 50 is still heavily dominated by metal bands. That was also the time when EVE started to take major part of my time.

Back to actual discussion:
    I've noticed one thing in those threads and it's flaming. There is good threads there but I don't think members of this group can discuss these subjects without trolling/flaming. There is still three different groups of members here:
    - those who mainly listen to metal and sometimes some other genres like rock
    - those who don't have any or very wide limits in their music taste
    - those who don't really listen to metal (probably Slipknot or similar band can be found on their charts)

Only thing I can see coming is flame war.

• KryptoN said...
    • User
    • 14 Jul 2011, 20:17
    I know you're not a new member, I've seen you around here. But yeah, I do remember there being a fair amount of retardedness by some members back then, but only vaguely.

If we try to revive the discussion, I can always just start banning the trolls/flamers/troublemakers if they become a problem. Bashing other people because of their musical taste goes against the fundamental idea of this group. If someone keeps doing this, I see no reason to let him/her be a part of this group.

Oh you play EVE? Me too. :D Not actively atm though, don't have much free time to pour into a major timesink like that right now.

Latest ratings on RYM:
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.